Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetables

Options
  • 24-04-2015 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

Hi

I would love to grow some vegetables like scallions, lettuce, carrots, peas, broad beans etc. although space is not a problem I am just wondering is it possible without a glasshouse or poly tunnel. I can not afford either at the moment and thus is my very first venture into gardening so I don't want to invest too much money initially.
    Any advice appreciated.!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

molly09 wrote: »
    Hi

I would love to grow some vegetables like scallions, lettuce, carrots, peas, broad beans etc. although space is not a problem I am just wondering is it possible without a glasshouse or poly tunnel. I can not afford either at the moment and thus is my very first venture into gardening so I don't want to invest too much money initially.
    Any advice appreciated.!!
    Absolutely it's possible. Get going now if you are doing it though cuz you're almost at the end of planting season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Roselm wrote: »
    Absolutely it's possible. Get going now if you are doing it though cuz you're almost at the end of planting season

You are certainly not "almost at the end of the planting season":)

Loads of time left for sowing scallions, lettuce, peas and carrots..Possibly a little late for broad beans but all of the others can be sowed for next few months...

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭tmq

We bought a plastic "glasshouse" just a month ago, think it was only €25. its not very big, but we've planted loads of tomatoes, garlic, lettuce, etc., in pots. We're glad to have had it considering the current cold snap!

planting already started plants will obviously save you a bit of time compared to sewing seeds (though will cost a bit more).

Advertisement