Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Length of backing fly fishing

Options
  • 24-04-2015 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I will be getting a fly rod very soon and I will only be able to get 50m backing.Would this be enough for trout fishing of brown trout 2lb or under and maybe a bit bigger rainbow trout?Also they're is sea trout in the lake I fish and I fear I won't have enough backing in the case of accidently catching one.I honestly can't get more.Also I will be using 6lb leader

Tight Lines,
    MadDog1999

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Loads!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

Loads!

Even if a sea trout takes a brownie fly?

You really can't have a fly set up that is all things to all men- or all species. Go with a set up for your preferred species and don't over think scenarios that are less likely to happen.

You really can't have a fly set up that is all things to all men- or all species. Go with a set up for your preferred species and don't over think scenarios that are less likely to happen.

So I can fish for brownies and rainbows?Ok so catching the sea trout on the brownie fly is not likely.Thats a sigh of relief,

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

The vast majority of fish will never take you to the backing. The only time I ever went to backing was a foul hooked 9lb stocked rainbow. I have caught salmon accidentally on a 5wt trout setup and barely given him 10 yards of line. 20m of backing is LOADS for any salmonid species in Ireland

• Advertisement

BrownTrout wrote: »
    The vast majority of fish will never take you to the backing. The only time I ever went to backing was a foul hooked 9lb stocked rainbow. I have caught salmon accidentally on a 5wt trout setup and barely given him 10 yards of line. 20m of backing is LOADS for any salmonid species in Ireland

Thanks that is a huge sigh of relief.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

You seem to be asking a lot of questions about setups which is fine but trust me wait until you have all the gear in front of you and do it yourself

As stated above or in one of your threads doing in reverse is a great way of doing it correct , I might have a Cortland dt7 line and you might have a snowbee wf7 line on the same reel and with differences in thickness of line and even some backing is thicker than others its impossible to give an exact length of backing or anything

Wait until you have everything if your stuck put up a few pictures and we go from there , if you are around Cork city I can even show ya how I do it and the various knots for tying backing to spool and backing to fly line etc

popsy09 wrote: »
    You seem to be asking a lot of questions about setups which is fine but trust me wait until you have all the gear in front of you and do it yourself

As stated above or in one of your threads doing in reverse is a great way of doing it correct , I might have a Cortland dt7 line and you might have a snowbee wf7 line on the same reel and with differences in thickness of line and even some backing is thicker than others its impossible to give an exact length of backing or anything

Wait until you have everything if your stuck put up a few pictures and we go from there , if you are around Cork city I can even show ya how I do it and the various knots for tying backing to spool and backing to fly line etc

Thanks but I live in west kerry on the Dingle Peninsula.I will wait till I get the equipment.So a fish would rarely bring us to the backing?

Tight Lines

I have been fly fishing for 60 years and have never been down to the backing.

I have been fly fishing for 60 years and have never been down to the backing.

Ok i will mostly be fishing for brownies and rainbows anyway.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

I'm puzzled about the absolute restriction of 50 yards backing.....it's not that expensive. Buy enough.
    Loading your reel properly is a good habit to get into and that should mean enough backing.
    A badly loaded reel has implications for casting and I'm amazed to see some of the advice you've been offered here.
    Some seem unnaturally pessimistic about the chance of a fish taking you to the backing and are ignoring best practice.
    I'm assuming your lake is near dingle - Annascaul or one of the north facing lakes near castlegregory? There is every chance of a salmon in some of these lakes and good sea trout. Your brown trout flies will rise both sea trout and salmon.
    Best be safe than sorry. You don't want a salmon swimming around with a fly line attached to his jaw because you didn't have enough backing to contain the run. I've seen it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eamon34

The Vartry angling club are having there open day on Sunday the 24th may .fly fishing only . Www.wicklowfishing.ie

Great club

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    I'm puzzled about the absolute restriction of 50 yards backing.....it's not that expensive. Buy enough.
    Loading your reel properly is a good habit to get into and that should mean enough backing.
    A badly loaded reel has implications for casting and I'm amazed to see some of the advice you've been offered here.
    Some seem unnaturally pessimistic about the chance of a fish taking you to the backing and are ignoring best practice.
    I'm assuming your lake is near dingle - Annascaul or one of the north facing lakes near castlegregory? There is every chance of a salmon in some of these lakes and good sea trout. Your brown trout flies will rise both sea trout and salmon.
    Best be safe than sorry. You don't want a salmon swimming around with a fly line attached to his jaw because you didn't have enough backing to contain the run. I've seen it happen.

My reel can only hold about 50 metres.
    It's coming with an outfit and I don't hve any money saved up for extra backing

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    We know the importance of a properly loaded reel but the OP was asking is 50 meters was sufficient backing. As his reel won't hold any more then of course it's sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Sorry, read that wrongly Maddog. Didn't realise the size of the reel was the restriction. Save up as soon as you can. You can buy a big roll of it fairly cheaply which will keep you going for a good while. Rule of thumb is the same as a spinning reel. Load it fully.

Advertisement