Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fussy 1 year old Springer Spaniel

Options
  • 24-04-2015 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi Guys,

First post here! I absolutely love all animals, especially dogs!

I have a 1 year old springer spaniel who has always been a fussy eater. I have been trying him on burns since he was a pup and it just doesnt seem to be suiting him and he also isnt mad about the taste (I mix it with wet food for him). I am not sure now if he is a tiny bit underweight or just going through the teenager stage of looking a bit awkward because no matter how much I feed him he doesnt put on weight. He is very active walked long distances daily. Also have a cocker spaniel since I was a child (he is 13 now) and he is the total opposite would eat anything and everything. I am just wondering if any body has any advice for a fussy eater and can suggest a dry food in a similar price range to burns or maybe any supplements?

I am thinking of ordering him Josera for active/working dogs off zooplus has anybody used this brand?

He obviously has had all his shots and up to date with worming so its nothing on that side.

Really hope ye can help me out all advice appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SpringerKY

Posted twice, a rookie mistake! Can ignore the first one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I would lose the wetfood. For the price your paying for wet food each week you could probably get some tins of tuna or sardines or chicken wings etc for him and they would be alot better for the dog.

I have fed lukullus for the last few years and my collie is doing very well. She is 9 years old and people think she is only 2 or 3 the way she goes on and looks.

They do trial bags of it on zooplus. Generally i try and avoid any foods with wheat or maize etc. as the main ingredient

Hi outcast, thanks very much for the reply. That food looks good it is similar in price to Josera High Energy which I was looking at myself which also has no wheat or soya. I would never feed him a supermarket brand as god knows whats in that. My vet suggested the Burns so that is why he has been on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

ask your vet about vitamin b12 in a syrup form I can get it in limerick but I know some vets only offer it in injection form

had a very fussy springer and got this for him and have never looked back dosage I think was about 1 teaspoon per day after about 2 weeks he just kicked in appetite wise

have a read here http://www.vetinfo.com/b12-vitamin-for-dogs.html

but of course this is something for you to discuss with your vet first usually springers are good grubbers

Hi jimf, thank you for the reply. That was very helpful I will ring the vets tomorrow and enquire. I was looking at biotin on Zooplus. Can you suggest a good food?

• Advertisement

I have 5 springers and feed them gain20 it would be considered greyhound food its not top of the range by a long way

but I find it works for me they have good shiny coats and there stools are well formed and solid and they have plenty of energy

I supplement this with a few eggs and sardines once a week which they love

Thanks again jimf you have been a great help. All the best with your springers. I am thinking of getting another in the near future, they are an amazing dog!!

SpringerKY wrote: »
    Thanks again jimf you have been a great help. All the best with your springers. I am thinking of getting another in the near future, they are an amazing dog!!

they are brilliant dogs and great with kids

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Try the Redmills Engage range. My fussy springer loves his. I wouldn't cut out the wet food but if you're going for wheat free do check it doesn't have cereals in it. You might be surprised.

Salmon oil can be very tempting for them also.

Thanks Springwell, I will probably keep the wet food as that is one thing he does like!

• Advertisement
Advertisement