Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planet X pro carbon - yay or nay

• 24-04-2015 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to upgrade to a carbon bike. I've put 5k on a boardman alloy frame.

Time to move on.

I don't have a lot of money though.

So a planet x pro carbon with 105 5800 could be built for under 900.

I am in good shape, but I'm tall and weigh about 90kg.

Good option or not

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Nay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

buy the 5800 and stick it on your boardman bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭AlanD

buy the 5800 and stick it on your boardman bike.

It's the stiffer, lighter frame I want. Running sram on the boardman which work fine for me.

Why would you not recommend a planet x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I'm 82kg and no problems with the sl pro, ignore the PX haters, good value for the money :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Replaced my Bianchi SL pro great bike. Won 2 races and numerous high placings. Great value and never had a problem with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

Bought one recently second hand,love it,very good value for money when buying new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ratracer

I had one a couple of years ago, I'm 6'3 and was close to 90kg then. I had no problem with the frame, I sold it on here after. The only reason I changed was because I felt the sloping frame looked small when on it. ( had a bike fit done, frame was fine, my head wasn't!!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

I have one now about a year and a half and I find it fine
    I have put over 12,000 km on mine , I am 6 ft 2 and 90kg most of the time and the bike has never let me down
    i just by chance have this also which may interest you.
    will let it go for a boardies special of €875

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94484127

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have one. I'm about 90kgs and 185cms. Great bike. Great value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

What will you be using it for, and what is wrong with your boardman?

• Advertisement

colm_gti wrote: »
    What will you be using it for, and what is wrong with your boardman?

Good question.

You know, the boardman is fine, running sram. But being a bloke, the lure of a full carbon bike is tempting. The boardman is alloy with carbon forks. Only thing I upgraded was the wheels. Have prolite brachianna 42 sections. Lovely wheels.

Only issue I ever have is the front derailleur which is not good at all. Maybe I hang tough, save a bit more and go for something really good. And replace the front derailleur.

Using it for sportives, training and the tour de Munster and tour de Leinster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Hi Ho

Planet X should be fine unless you suffer from status anxiety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

AlanD wrote: »
    Good question.

You know, the boardman is fine, running sram. But being a bloke, the lure of a full carbon bike is tempting. The boardman is alloy with carbon forks. Only thing I upgraded was the wheels. Have prolite brachianna 42 sections. Lovely wheels.

Only issue I ever have is the front derailleur which is not good at all. Maybe I hang tough, save a bit more and go for something really good. And replace the front derailleur.

To be honest the planet x probably won't be a huge upgrade from what you have.

Save your money til you can afford something nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

SL Planet x pro, great frame for the money. Currently on a Planet X Nanolight 5 years old and still going grand. I race and if anything happened to my old PX I'd buy the Pro. Don't believe any of the crap people talk about them. But hey you'll get guys saying oh they flex and cheap. If that was the case top Irish cyclist Martin Irvine would never have ridden one.

These are the same guys who just sit in the bunch all day on 8 grand bikes.

Some good food for thought there. Thanks all.

Much of what is driving my desires are based around new toy syndrome. You are probably right I might not notice much of an improvement over the current bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭seanin4711

bike pretty good value for money.
    customer service not good.
    I have mine 2 1/2 years and like it a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭The_Keeper

Have mine a couple of months, have already put a few hundred miles and haven't had a problem. Would highly recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

Anyone any experience with the planet x carbon wheels??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

eoz wrote: »

I have the 60mm clinchers, good set of very free spinning wheels. Like all good wheels some tlc needed. Have replaced bearings on rear and fixed minor buckle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Thought they had a Carbon 105 for €999...anyone have one of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭superlav

eoz wrote: »

Loads, I have a 7 year old pair of Planet X Pro Carbon 50's Clinchers, they haven't missed a beat. Raced them for years, from A4 to A1. Had one of the wheels trued once after a crash. Rode them coast to coast in the states and all over Ireland. Absolutely no issues.

I also got a set of Planet-X R50 tubulars a couple of years ago. Unbelievable value for money, weighing in at less that 1300g for the pair.

Both my P-X wheels have carbon braking surface, which is not much fun stopping in the wet, but that is the same for all brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭coppinger

Happy with my Sl carbon - if your strong enough to flex it, you'll get a pro contract and they'll give you a free bike

The wheels not so much - the alloy nipples corroded after a year and I had to replace them myself after four of them broke (out of warranty)- they do take a bit of looking after, I prefer my ksyriums

Advertisement