Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me: Someone to NCT my knees?

• 24-04-2015 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Knees are giving a bit of grief..
    Having trawled through loads of boards threads on knee trouble, I'm looking for a recommendation for who's best to go to.

Are there any physios specializing in cycling?
    or any of the Bikefit guys experienced in knee trouble?

North Dublin would be ideal

Cheers

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A lot of physios have extensive experience on the sports front. One place you could start with, as you're Northside, is the Sports Surgery Clinic in Santry.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Beasty wrote: »
    is the Sports Surgery Clinic in Santry.

Cheers
    Having had surgery there a few years back (when I had medical insurance), I didn't have a great experience with the Santry clinic.
    I don't doubt their expertise, but found a general sense of apathy with those I was dealing with.
    Now that I'm paying out of my hard earned, I'd hoping to find someone tried and tested by a Boardsie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Stating the obvious but if both knees are hurting I would recommend a good bike fit. Lots of recommendations on previous threads.I found Aiden Hammond v good also Retul Bike Fit gives reduction if CI Member. No connection to any of these. Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭The Ging and I

Before you do anything else, ask someone else to take a quick spin on your bike to see if you have pedals/cranks out of kilter.
    Even slightly bent pedals will give you knee problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Presume you have ruled out a few things? Before I went to the physio I got a proper bike fit to rule out the bike as the source of the problem.

Bike fit done already?
    New cleats ?

I got some recommendations on a thread I started a few weeks back, you can search for it. I went with Ger Tyrell in swords. There was a recommendation of a lady in Baldoyle that some boards members use... Again search for my thread , details in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Hi Ho

sy wrote: »
    Stating the obvious but if both knees are hurting I would recommend a good bike fit. Lots of recommendations on previous threads.I found Aiden Hammond v good also Retul Bike Fit gives reduction if CI Member. No connection to any of these. Best of luck

If you have an underlying biomechanical problem it's unlikely a 'bike fitter' will identify it. Experience and training vary, but anyone can basically chance it.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Presume you have ruled out a few things? .. Again search for my thread , details in there.

I'll have a look cheers.

I've ruled out a lot.
    Pain started a few months ago but
    - bike is over a year old with no changes
    - use the same old reliable Sidi shoes. Cleats replaced last year in exactly same position as last 5 years.
    - Lost about 3 stone about year ago. This has definitely led to loss of some muscle mass, but no pain for 6 months after loosing weight.
    - Cycle routine hasn't changed over the last 3 years (Sallygap or Howth).

The only thing jumping out to me is (since loosing weight) I get out of the saddle more when climbing.

Pain is noticable when starting out on a cycle and then tails off. Not generally an issue climbing but climbing on the bike.
    It can appear quite frequently when climbing stairs (on feet, not bike!)
    Hi Ho wrote: »
    If you have an underlying biomechanical problem it's unlikely a 'bike fitter' will identify it. Experience and training vary, but anyone can basically chance it.

I'm fairly skeptical with experts in any field, that's why I'm hoping for a recommendation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Hi Ho

...I'm fairly skeptical with experts in any field, that's why I'm hoping for a recommendation.

But I presume you only want us to recommend and an expert?

jon1981, your other threads have given a few possibilities. I might give Lynne Weir or Kathy Kavanagh a try.
    Hi Ho wrote: »
    But I presume you only want us to recommend and an expert?
    Not necessarily.I can pick up the golden pages and find an expert.
    I'm hoping for a recommendation from boardsies who've had good experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Raymzor

Paul Tansey Dundrum did good work for me. He is also a cyclist.

Sounds like you should go to bike fitter first who in addition to measuring up will observe your leg motion while pedaling. I used Aidan Hammond

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

Raymzor wrote: »
    Paul Tansey Dundrum did good work for me. He is also a cyclist.

Sounds like you should go to bike fitter first who in addition to measuring up will observe your leg motion while pedaling. I used Aidan Hammond

Aiden Woods Chartered Physio based in Pearse Street has been the Irish teams Olympic physio a number of times , A cyclist and duathlete himself he is very experienced . You can be going all over the place looking at all the different possibilities.. You might save a lot of time and money if its properly diagnosed in the first place by someone like Aiden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Aiden Woods Chartered Physio based in Pearse Street has been the Irish teams Olympic physio a number of times , A cyclist and duathlete himself he is very experienced . You can be going all over the place looking at all the different possibilities.. You might save a lot of time and money if its properly diagnosed in the first place by someone like Aiden

+1

I had a knee issue previously, went to a couple of physios and it got worse. A friend recommended Aidan Woods and after a lot of hard work in the gym the issue was sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

I have a problem with patellar tendinitis and have been to see Darren Kelly in the past. It flared up last week again after 2 years and went again last week to him. He uses shock wave therapy which is excellent and sorts the issue. He's based in Base2Race and gets a huge amount of triathletes and cyclists going to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mp31

nak wrote: »
    +1

I had a knee issue previously, went to a couple of physios and it got worse. A friend recommended Aidan Woods and after a lot of hard work in the gym the issue was sorted.

Please could you give more details about the knee issue, what process did Aidan follow to diagnose it and what was the solution?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

The only thing jumping out to me is (since loosing weight) I get out of the saddle more when climbing.

Have you thought about using much lower gears and working to up your cadence while climbing? Spinning rather than grinding will put way less pressure on the joints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

mp31 wrote: »
    Please could you give more details about the knee issue, what process did Aidan follow to diagnose it and what was the solution?

I had knee surgery which lead to a muscle imbalance, also have osteoarthritis in the joint. Soft tissue work, time off the bike, lots of squats and a personal rehab plan.

Advertisement