Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chain replacement , when?

• 25-04-2015 1:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed today that the chain isn't sitting on the front chain rings, when I pedal there's a clear gap between the chain and bottom of the teeth.

Is it time to replace the chain? Chainring ?

There's probably about 7k on it. I replaced the brake pads for the first time today

How about maintenance guide as a sticky?

P.S how do I select s chain ? It's a cube Peleton pro 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

I would definitely change the chain, sounds like it is well shot as for maintenance tips look on youtube plenty of vids there, I personally like the gcn ones nice and simple and easy to understand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

ted1 wrote: »
    I noticed today that the chain isn't sitting on the front chain rings, when I pedal there's a clear gap between the chain and bottom of the teeth.

There's probably about 7k on it. I replaced the brake pads for the first time today

Great video on this here. I'm about to change my chain, its 1/16th over the 12 inch Mark. Mine was at the 3k Mark. If you catch your chain wear before this point it's less likely you'll have to change the cassette. Video will explain. If the wear is not visible on your Cassette you'll only really know if the cassette is worn if the chain slips on a hard ride after you've put a new one on.

http://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/videos/sec-how-to/how-to-know-when-to-change-your-chain-cassette-and-chainrings/
    Do you have the 105s Groupset and is it a triple or a double chain ring?

The first two options here will work if it's a 10speed.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/shimano-shimano-chains/shimchai

jon1981 wrote: »
    Great video on this here. I'm about to change my chain, its 1/16th over the 12 inch Mark. Mine was at the 3k Mark. If you catch your chain wear before this point it's less likely you'll have to change the cassette. Video will explain. If the wear is not visible on your Cassette you'll only really know if the cassette is worn if the chain slips on a hard ride after you've put a new one on.

http://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/videos/sec-how-to/how-to-know-when-to-change-your-chain-cassette-and-chainrings/
    Do you have the 105s Groupset and is it a triple or a double chain ring?

The first two options here will work if it's a 10speed.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/shimano-shimano-chains/shimchai
    It's a 105 10speed double

So I just replaced the chain. Ribble were all out of the ones above, so I got an ultegra one that fits . I matched the number of links up with the old one but looking at videos online they suggest an overlap of 2 when around the two larger rings and I had 3.

The chain that cane off was a KMC x10 which surprised me as the bike was meant to have a shimano groupset, are Cube cutting corners here? Should they not have used a shimano chain , would shimano warranty the parts if not using shimano parts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭torydiver

So I just replaced the chain. Ribble were all out of the ones above, so I got an ultegra one that fits . I matched the number of links up with the old one but looking at videos online they suggest an overlap of 2 when around the two larger rings and I had 3.

The chain that cane off was a KMC x10 which surprised me as the bike was meant to have a shimano groupset, are Cube cutting corners here? Should they not have used a shimano chain , would shimano warranty the parts if not using shimano parts?

In a word......no
    KMC are highly regarded chain manufacturers,
    Quality equal to and many would argue better than Shimano chains,
    also have benifit of split link system should you ever need to split the chain for maintenance or replacement....

I'm not sure the overlap matters by a link or 2 as long as there is not too much slack in the chain and the the derailleur is not over loaded. My Cube had a Shimano chain, the KMC chains are meant to be good, no? I put the ultegra chain on the other day and it runs perfectly, i can take some pics of the derailleur position if it helps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

I just bought a new chain and am going to replace my old one this evening. Previously I've just used the joining pin that comes with the chain and I carry a kmc link with me in case of the chain snapping. This time I would rather use the kmc link to join the chain when fitting so that I can remove it for cleaning - so I'm wondering if I can just pop out the supplied joining pin and keep it for future use i.e. will popping it out damage / weaken it in any way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

bren_mc wrote: »
    I just bought a new chain and am going to replace my old one this evening. Previously I've just used the joining pin that comes with the chain and I carry a kmc link with me in case of the chain snapping. This time I would rather use the kmc link to join the chain when fitting so that I can remove it for cleaning - so I'm wondering if I can just pop out the supplied joining pin and keep it for future use i.e. will popping it out damage / weaken it in any way?

If it's a shimano chain then the pin is separate to the chain and you only join the chain with it one time and it's recommended for one time use only, but I wouldn't remove a pin and then use it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

This is probably out of date, 105 is 11 speed now, and the 2009 in the filename is probably a give away to its vintage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

7000km? I'd be replacing the cassette too if I was you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'd be replacing the cassette too if I was you

If you keep replacing the chain just after it reaches 0,75% mark on this tool, you can get 30000+ km from a cassette...

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJWCWI/jobsworth-chain-wear-indicator

I'm currently on 10000km and there are no signs of wear on the casette. Third chain now. (the second one got destroyed by cyclocross season)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

how often does one replace a chain? once a year, would that be enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Depends - I can get 5000km out of 10sp chain in dry (or Irish dry ;) ) conditions, and perhaps 1000km in mud.... The best is to keep checking it (see the link above) for wear regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

granda wrote: »
    If it's a shimano chain then the pin is separate to the chain and you only join the chain with it one time and it's recommended for one time use only, but I wouldn't remove a pin and then use it again

yes its a shimano 10 speed - but the link isn't one of the extra long ones that you push in and then break the end off. It's already pushed part way into one of the outer plates.

like this...

shimano_chain.jpg

I replaced a chain with a chain with this pin. I just removed the link and used a kmc link connector. I was afraid of making a balls of the chain using this pin.

7000km? I'd be replacing the cassette too if I was you

Yep, cassette needs replacing as well . Gears are slipping, only 2 weeks till pay day, have to get a chain whip and cassette remover too

Slowly building up my bike tool box.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Good tools are well worth the investment. If you want to get a decent starter tool set, check out the X-Tools set on chain reaction. It's about 45 quid for the basic set and it has most of what you need to get you going.

Advertisement