Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop under bidder??

Options
  • 25-04-2015 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

We are bidding on a house the last few weeks and the under bidder takes generally a week to counter each time and increases the bid by just a few hundred. It's really really annoying and just seems like messing and that they aren't really serious. How do we put a stop to this? The houses is not cheap either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

Easyliving wrote: »
    We are bidding on a house in Rathfarnham the last few weeks and the under bidder takes generally a week to counter each time and increases the bid by just a few hundred. It's really really annoying and just seems like messing and that they aren't really serious. How do we put a stop to this? The houses is not cheap either.

Hi,

You could of course tell the estate agent that your last bid was final and that you are no longer interested in continuing this nonsense. With a bit of luck the other bidder will withdraw, provided he even exists...

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We are bidding on a house in Rathfarnham the last few weeks and the under bidder takes generally a week to counter each time and increases the bid by just a few hundred. It's really really annoying and just seems like messing and that they aren't really serious. How do we put a stop to this? The houses is not cheap either.

It's a game of hopscotch, every second bid received makes you the other bidder. Or underbidder.

Tell the Estate agent you'd like a desicion made with the next offer as your interested in another place and don't want to lose it because the vendors are dragging out the process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

I see nothing wrong with what the other person is doing. Each of ye is the "under bidder" at some point if it's dragging out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

i guess you are just asking way too much otherwise they would not underbid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Easyliving

We've tried all of the above before and lost out on other houses. If we say this is our last bid as we've done before they just have to ask the other bidder to just add a few quid and it's there's. I might try the "I'm interested in other places" on this but have done that before. We've bid on other houses before but never at such a slow speed from the other bidder with small amounts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

We've tried all of the above before and lost out on other houses. If we say this is our last bid as we've done before they just have to ask the other bidder to just add a few quid and it's there's. I might try the "I'm interested in other places" on this but have done that before. We've bid on other houses before but never at such a slow speed from the other bidder with small amounts.

Both you and the other bidder (if they exist) are using a strategy to see if they can get the the property they want at the lowest price possible. Nothing wrong with that.

There is one way to bring this to a head. Offer the maximum you are willing to pay for the property. If they other person then offers €1 more than that then leave them have it. Nothing personal, they are just willing to pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Just bid by an extra €100 each time, waiting a week before bidding. I think stealth bids should be outlawed. It allows EAs to inflate the prices with false interest. Each bidder should be a registered and credited bidder, tied into each bid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op what you are experiencing is exactly what happens in all cases where there is more than one bidder. The other bidder is not the "underbidder", that title alternates between the two of you as long as you are both increasing your offer. Don't go with the advice above (€100), in most cases the minimum increase accepted is between €2-5k each time. If you want to end it one way or the other, either up the bid by €10k or bid whatever you are willing to pay for it. If that doesn't work then walk away.

By the way, if you want a quick bidding process, go to an auction like Allsops or Ganlys, the bidding process is over in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

How much money are you going up in bids by each time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Asmooh wrote: »
    i guess you are just asking way too much otherwise they would not underbid.

What?

• Advertisement

I was intially increasing by 1k but now it's at 500 each time and I think this may drop again but they are taking a week and I'm countering in a day. I'm thinking its some kind of delay tactics as we're coming to the end of the month and maybe they are paid and will have a few extra grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

davo10 wrote: »
    Op what you are experiencing is exactly what happens in all cases where there is more than one bidder. The other bidder is not the "underbidder", that title alternates between the two of you as long as you are both increasing your offer. Don't go with the advice above (€100), in most cases the minimum increase accepted is between €2-5k each time. If you want to end it one way or the other, either up the bid by €10k or bid whatever you are willing to pay for it. If that doesn't work then walk away.

By the way, if you want a quick bidding process, go to an auction like Allsops or Ganlys, the bidding process is over in minutes.

I did the 'blow them out of the water' bit. I increased the bid by 20K and that was it. It was back when we were all millionaires and the house we were selling was also going up in crazy leaps so it did not really matter. It depends on circumstances.

I would have a chat with the EA and push the final bid routine. You may have to go in with a strong bid. I would say the EA would just like to finalise the sale. The bulk of what he/she gets is already out there. Increasing the sale price by a couple of thou is not going to make that much of a difference to the EA. Dragging this out at this stage could actually be costing money.

Think about it this way...

lets say I'm the counter bidder and I have circa 10K left to bid. If you're going up in €1K and me €100, you're going to be waiting 10 weeks at least.

If you go €3 - 5K, at least you'll know where you stand with them much quicker - that'd be my tactic.

I suppose it's a trade-off between paying a few extra €K vs waiting it out much longer and getting it for as low as possible. One thing to consider though, is that the longer it's on the market, the increased risk of a new buyer coming along.

How much do you want the house and do you think you are at a 'fair' price for in in your opinion?

Idioteque wrote: »
    Think about it this way...

How much do you want the house and do you think you are at a 'fair' price for in in your opinion?

I think it's at the maximum that it's worth now plus We're also pretty much at our limit. I'd have to borrow from someone to jump it up but I am considering this.

galljga1 wrote: »
    I would have a chat with the EA and push the final bid routine. You may have to go in with a strong bid. I would say the EA would just like to finalise the sale. The bulk of what he/she gets is already out there. Increasing the sale price by a couple of thou is not going to make that much of a difference to the EA. Dragging this out at this stage could actually be costing money.

I'm going to the EA on Monday and will try turn the screws. Maybe say our offer is only on the table x amount of time. But I don't want to do this and then back track. We didn't really want to borrow from anyone else but may try put a shock bid in to close it.

I am also thinking about using the same tactic as the other bidder and doing the 100 quid jump and extending our response time if it feels more and more like a fake bidder.

I think it's at the maximum that it's worth now plus We're also pretty much at our limit. I'd have to borrow from someone to jump it up but I am considering this.

Fair enough...it's a tough one when you like the place.

In my experience, it's best to walk away once you've already hit your 'prepared to pay' limit. I think you're better off just thinking about it from your perspective and not worrying about how much the other bidder has left.

If it's any help, I just went through a bidding war last week but despite the offer of additional money from family, we pulled out as we went to the max of what we though the place was worth and we would be happy to have paid.

Interestingly enough, since then, there's been a good few price drops in the area and some other houses have come up that make the property we were bidding on look way overpriced!

The other bidder may be aware that you are in a hurry and is playing this against you. Thus he waits as long as he can and then ups the bid by a small amount.
    One sugestion which might work is to ask the EA to get you both on the phones at the same time and do a mini auction to finalise the sale. This may suit the vendor as they may also be in a hurry.

Idioteque wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, since then, there's been a good few price drops in the area and some other houses have come up that make the property we were bidding on look way overpriced!

Good advice, I've been waiting for the new rules to bite but so far I'm not seeing that happening in the houses we are interested in. We have approval under the new rules which I've mentioned to the EA but that doesn't seem to have had any impact.

I was intially increasing by 1k but now it's at 500 each time and I think this may drop again but they are taking a week and I'm countering in a day. I'm thinking its some kind of delay tactics as we're coming to the end of the month and maybe they are paid and will have a few extra grand.

No wonder this is going on so long, you haven't been able to kill off the other bidder with €1k bids but now you are going to try with bids of less than €500? All that is going to happen now is that the other bidder will see that you have reached your limit, are showing a weakening position so he/she will know one more big bid will see you off. You sound like you have not done this before whereas that other bidder is showing experience just waiting for you to burn out, either you go with a last bid for as much as you are willing to pay or walk away, going up now in hundreds is a waste of your time.

• Advertisement

No wonder this is going on so long, you haven't been able to kill off the other bidder with €1k bids but now you are going to try with bids of less than €500? All that is going to happen now is that the other bidder will see that you have reached your limit, are showing a weakening position so he/she will know one more big bid will see you off. You sound like you have not done this before whereas that other bidder is showing experience just waiting for you to burn out, either you go with a last bid for as much as you are willing to pay or walk away, going up now in hundreds is a waste of your time.

No it's the opposite. They have lowered their bids to 500s and are taking 7days to counter. Where our bids have been strong and we have countered within one day. We'd be considered the more agressive bidder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

walk away much wiser.

next time write the EA a first and final offer with 48 hours to accept or reject; acceptance means no new viewers, it comes off the market. Be perfectly ready to walk away - there are few unique houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

...........going up now in hundreds is a waste of your time.

Other bidder: + €100
    One week passes
    You: + €1
    One week passes
    One week passes
    One week passes
    ..............:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

The reason the other bidder is going up in small bids is more than likely because they know they can afford the house and are prepared to pay above what the current bids are at. They are thinking why bid more than we have to when we know we can burn these people off regardless.

You seem to be at your limit so unfortunately it looks like ye are out with this house. Just go to your maximum bid and then walk away.

No it's the opposite. They have lowered their bids to 500s and are taking 7days to counter. Where our bids have been strong and we have countered within one day. We'd be considered the more agressive bidder.

Except you are now reducing yours and they keep coming back. Have either of you upped the bid by a sizeable amount (€10k+) at any stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Is there no "Buy it Now" option?

James 007 wrote: »
    One week passes
    One week passes
    One week passes
    One week passes
    ..............:)

Hahaha

I'm going to wrap it up from my side Monday. I'll talk to the EA get the vibe and put an ultimatum that they except my offer now or I'm walking.

Except you are now reducing yours and they keep coming back. Have either of you upped the bid by a sizeable amount (€10k+) at any stage?

I think a 10k jump is stupid as we are past the asking and the new rules are starting to bite. This is the first house we've been on with just us and one other bidder and it's in a more desirable area than other houses we've bid on in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I'm going to wrap it up from my side Monday. I'll talk to the EA get the vibe and put an ultimatum that they except my offer now or I'm walking.

That wont work. The house is going to go to the person who is willing to pay the most, they will just go back to the other bidder with an offer to increas.

My advice: try to convince the EA that you are the better prospect as a buyer. Have approval, engineer and solicitor lined up, know the issues with the house so unlikely to have any survey issues or reductions. This may be a factor if there is nothing between bids...

Advertisement