Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route 66 bus tours?

Options
  • 25-04-2015 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Hi, Im looking to do Route 66 in 2016 and am starting my research now. I notice there are quite a few websites which offer bus/coach tours for up to 20 people, and this is what Im interested in. The websites i checked only collect you from UK airports for the trip i.e someone from the company meets you in Heathrow etc and then again at the end in LA. Does anyone know if such a tour starts from Dublin, although I know thats a long shot?

Has anyone been on a coach tour of Route 66 and if so, what company would you recommend? Most of the websites have different prices, some charge single supplements some dont etc. And advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Route 66, doesn't really exist any more, at least not in its original two lane format. Along nearly all of its length it has now been either paved over with a motorway or bypassed. When it did exist it was actually a relatively boring stretch of road for nearly all of its length. Its route was chosen in order to avoid mountains, valleys and of the interesting scenery of the South West. I've driven on it, there are literally dozens of better routes in the area. Parts of it in Arizona are okay, but I really wouldn't go out of my way to drive it. The South West is my favorite part of the USA and going there in order to tour Route 66 would be a total missed opportunity.

The fascination with Route 66 is something Europeans seem to have latched on to but which isn't shared by anyone over here who actually knows the region. In that respect it kind of reminds me of the American tourists obsession with "kissing the blarney stone".

PS - take a look at this discussion for more info: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/23-village/28803-tell-aussie-route-66-hype-worth-trip.html

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I drove part of it a few years ago and I agree with the above. It's difficult to follow the original route. There are sections of small, two-lane highway, usually running alongside the main highways and railway tracks. You spend a lot of time crossing the main highway, weaving in and out of little towns and down some dead ends. It was enjoyable, as we stopped a lot of Route 66 museums and diners along the way, and the 45 mph speed limit means a more leisurely drive than on the highway.

I didn't spot any designated bus tours along the way. I saw a lot of people driving the route in vintage cars, with the top down. A lot of bikers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Route 66, doesn't really exist any more, at least not in its original two lane format. Along nearly all of its length it has now been either paved over with a motorway or bypassed. When it did exist it was actually a relatively boring stretch of road for nearly all of its length. Its route was chosen in order to avoid mountains, valleys and of the interesting scenery of the South West. I've driven on it, there are literally dozens of better routes in the area. Parts of it in Arizona are okay, but I really wouldn't go out of my way to drive it. The South West is my favorite part of the USA and going there in order to tour Route 66 would be a total missed opportunity.

The fascination with Route 66 is something Europeans seem to have latched on to but which isn't shared by anyone over here who actually knows the region. In that respect it kind of reminds me of the American tourists obsession with "kissing the blarney stone".

PS - take a look at this discussion for more info: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/23-village/28803-tell-aussie-route-66-hype-worth-trip.html

I agree 100%. Especially on a bus! What torture that would be.

So much will be missed by sticking to a road that is only famous because the Rolling Stones needed to find a word that rhymed with 'kicks'.

It's a bit like wanting to go to Dallas. Or Jersey Shore. There are FAR better places to visit in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The fascination with Route 66 is something Europeans seem to have latched on to but which isn't shared by anyone over here who actually knows the region.

To a certain extent. There are small sections of it that are still there and they try to push the tourist thing.

My better half's brother lives near a section of it in OK and apparently they milk the tourist aspect as much as they can.

But I agree i've never heard of Americans retracing it much. Its not generally a thing to do.

But thats no reason why you shouldnt, its still a route and it takes you places you wont pass on the big freeways. So why not. The bus sounds okay only if its a guided tourist bus. Dont even dream of trying it by Greyhound.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

dave2pvd wrote: »
    It's a bit like wanting to go to Dallas.

LOL! That's the worst one.

Another is people going to LA, not paying attention to hotel location and expecting to use public transport.

• Advertisement
Advertisement