Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buggy for holidays

Options
  • 25-04-2015 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi everyone! We are going on our first holiday as a family of 3 this June :) we haven't even gone away for 1 night since our little one was born so we are really looking forward to it:D

I am looking for advice regarding a suitable buggy to bring with us. We have a Baby Jogger City GT but don't want to bring this with us as it is quite heavy for transporting onto planes, in and out of taxis etc and we don't want it to get damaged either!! We are looking at getting something light weight but comfortable for our little one (she will be 18 months when we go on holiday) so she can sleep in it when we are out and about. Possibly we will look at buying 2nd hand so could anyone give us any names of buggies that would be handy and comfortable?

Also, any experienced parents have any suggestions re holiday essentials for baby to bring with us? Thanks in advance :):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

We have a Quinny Zapp Xtra for this purpose. It's always left in the back of the car for when we travel somewhere and we bring it on flights as well. It is handy as it it folds down in one piece, no having to take anything apart. This is particularly handy when flying as there is less fumbling around when trying to bring child and bag to the gate. Just make sure to get the 2014 model, as the older model requires taking apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Thanks Jester77 - had a look at that buggy, looks good! How is the ride, where we are going has pretty bad footpaths so need something with good suspension! Are the wheels rubber?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

I took the Zeta Vooom stroller away on holidays recently and it was fantastic. I was able to fold it down while still holding my toddler and it folds down into nothing. There is a good sized storage tray underneath to store a bag in. The sun canopy pulls way down over the stroller so gives great shade. It comes with a rain cover too but thankfully I didn't have to use it. It easy to manoeuvre, I was able to manage to pull my luggage and push the stroller at the same time. The wheels are rubber. Great stroller, highly recommended from me. I had to use other strollers on stop overs at other airports and there was no comparison to the ZV. I ordered it from Amazon and got it for about €70 delivered but that was on sale. I know the price of it goes up and down a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Just to answer your other question, my daughter is 20 months. I was visiting my sister and she had the cot and blankets ready for me when I got over so I was lucky. I bought a Skip Hop bag for my daughter and it was handy for bringing her stuff in out and about. I'm just trying to think what else I needed- lots of sundresses, bolero cardigans, summer sandals, light pjs, suncream, lots of sunhats, towels maybe, swim suit, sippy cups, wee tubs to bring grapes and raisins in as a snack for out and about, some toys and books, bubbles! (stopped many a melt down), lots of nappies and wipes. I hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

We have the Maclaren techno for travelling. It's great. It's actually suitable from birth as it reclines fully. Great for comfortable naps. Has an extendable canopy which we find great for the sun or again to aid with sleep. It's compact and light. A great stroller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I took the Zeta Vooom stroller away on holidays recently and it was fantastic. I was able to fold it down while still holding my toddler and it folds down into nothing. There is a good sized storage tray underneath to store a bag in. The sun canopy pulls way down over the stroller so gives great shade. It comes with a rain cover too but thankfully I didn't have to use it. It easy to manoeuvre, I was able to manage to pull my luggage and push the stroller at the same time. The wheels are rubber. Great stroller, highly recommended from me. I had to use other strollers on stop overs at other airports and there was no comparison to the ZV. I ordered it from Amazon and got it for about €70 delivered but that was on sale. I know the price of it goes up and down a lot.

+1 for the Zeta Vrooom. I think I posted on here before about it. My little lad is 16 months and we have done extensive travelling home to Ireland - have flown over 20 times with that buggy now, without any issues - it's still in one piece. Swivel wheels are great for the airports. For colder days I bought an additional fleece foot muff which has also been through the wringer but still does the job fine.

Loads of other positive reviews on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Travel-Zeta-Vooom-Pushchair/dp/B006DDNTWY/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1430068628&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=zeta+vrooom

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Soooky wrote: »
    Thanks Jester77 - had a look at that buggy, looks good! How is the ride, where we are going has pretty bad footpaths so need something with good suspension! Are the wheels rubber?

It's not so good when on non-smooth ground, it has no real suspension. Great for around the city, but if you are anywhere a bit rough then it is not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We've a Micralite super lite and love it. First bought it for going on hols with our first but use it all the time now. It looks a bit 'different' but is SO easy to push even one handed, back two wheels are pumped so it goes on all grounds including sand etc. The seat is mesh so if it's hot the child doesn't get as hot as in a normal pram and the mesh doesn't get as dirty with food etc. When it folds it stands up which is handy in restaurants or at airports etc cause you don't have to bend down to pick it off the ground with a baby in arms too!

Anyway love it, and my two kids have loved it too, not sure on price but would imagine you'd pick one up second hand cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Thanks Sillysocks! Just looked the Micralite up - they look just the business! Never heard of them before despite my obsessive researching of buggies while I was pregnant :rolleyes::D Bit out of my budget new though as it will be a second buggy but I'll have a look online to see if I can pick one up 2nd hand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We happened to see one in town one day, weren't really looking for a stroller but loved the look of it and had a holiday coming up so knew it would be handy. Had to go search them out then because not many shops sell them. We got it in Bella Baby in Dundrum in the end. People often stop me and comment on it, and say how comfy the child looks in it!

There is a knack to folding it, and the front wheels can jam in against curbs/holes in the road but if you put even a small bit of weight on the back wheels when coming up to the curbs it's totally fine. Oh one other thing, if you have a child that likes sleeping in a buggy it's recline isn't great - our kids were never buggy nappers so it didn't make a huge difference to us.

I think there's a couple of different Micralites, one is more a full time buggy, but the superlight is the one we have and it's perfect as a stroller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Hauck Torro. Brilliant sun canopy, bumper bar, ergonomic handles, one handed fold, one handed back rest, suitable from birth, comes with boot cover
    7 kg.

Great for taller people, fits in an astra, only negatives is that rain cover is a bit too bulky but with the huge hood you don't really need it and the basket can be hard to get to when fully reclined. I prefer it to my Maclaren Quest and Maclaren Techno.

It gets great reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauck-H-13278-EN-R00-000-hauck-Torro-Buggy/dp/B009M3HTD2

Advertisement