Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinion on Lidl Coniferous plants please

• 25-04-2015 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

http://www.lidl.ie/en/plantsandflowers.htm

Hi all, thinking of getting two of Lidls plants as per link for outside the front door and would like some constructive opinions please.

thinking of going for two @ €12.99. They seem cheaper than the garden centres but would the be worth it or would I be better off spending a fe quid extra in a garden centre. Are Lidls variety the type that wont die easily and not grow apart from a straigtforward trim with a scissors the odd time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭gk5000

Hi all, thinking of getting two of Lidls plants as per link for outside the front door and would like some constructive opinions please.

thinking of going for two @ €12.99. They seem cheaper than the garden centres but would the be worth it or would I be better off spending a fe quid extra in a garden centre. Are Lidls variety the type that wont die easily and not grow apart from a straigtforward trim with a scissors the odd time?
    One thing I'll say about all Lidl/Aldi plants is:
    Treat them like they haven't been hardened off to outside, and harden them off yourself after you buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Can't see any conifers on that link but if you mean the Buxus plants them personally I'd be very careful.

These plants are potted in The Netherlands into containers having been dug up quite recently, and normally that is fine... If in the hands of a retailer who looks after their plants, keeps them outside and gives them plenty of water.

If you don't feel this is the case then don't buy them. The leaves will go crispy and the plant will die otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Thanks for replies folks. lk67 I really don't know whether the retailer looked after the plants, kept them outside and gave them plenty of water. Anyone else know this based on the longevity of the plants ye previously bought in lidl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I think you can saf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I think you can saf

saf??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

saf??
    Sorry, I didn't realise it had posted, PC was misbehaving.
    I was about to say that you can safely assume that Lidl will not tend to their plants. I've always found it painful to watch plants left to wilt and die on the shelves, only being sold off when they're beyond recovery. Aldi are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

I understand that all the supermarkets do not water their plants-any that are not sold the grower takes a loss on.
    If you do decide to buy, follow the advice others have given, get in early before the plants are mishandled, and choose full, undamaged plants, and give them a good watering at home.

Advertisement