Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Existing holidays

Options
  • 25-04-2015 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Does anyone know if the psni would honour existing holidays? I have some holidays booked which could potentially clash with early intakes if I were to get in... The balance is due soon and it had me wondering. Am I better to cancel now and just lose the deposit or leave them booked and run the risk of losing the lot :S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Does anyone know if the psni would honour existing holidays? I have some holidays booked which could potentially clash with early intakes if I were to get in... The balance is due soon and it had me wondering. Am I better to cancel now and just lose the deposit or leave them booked and run the risk of losing the lot :S

My advice, don't wait for the PSNI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

No harm in asking, at the time of the offer, whether they can accommodate a deferral. As far as I'm aware, you just need to produce evidence.

Are the holidays between July and August? That's apparently when campaign two's first intake will likely start.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jalapeno peppers

I wouldn't have a problem asking at time of offer but by then the full balance will be paid and lost if they can't accomodate... I might call recruitment after the PCA and ask at that stage about it because if I cancel them at that point I will lose about 600 as opposed to 2000 which would much preferable!

I would be surprised if they had intakes hat early considering there is still PCA, medical, online learning, induction weekend and usually a few weeks notice for current jobs
    I had imagined September would be the first intake

I'm not sure HR would be able to comment on anything prior to being in the appointable pool or at the time of offer.

There's a FOI response (F-2015-00805) out there regarding recruitment. I came across it only a month ago or so which stated:

DxUX3nd.png

Oh wow that would be amazing if they started taking in then! I would definitely cancel them if that were the case- I will probably just cancel them to be honest it's only money- I can always book new holidays down the line

• Advertisement

Contact HR and see if they can offer any advice, but from my experience they remain tight lipped up until that offer!

Keep up the training, pass the PCA and you're golden.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hi JP.

Things have changed a bit since I went through, but they didn't honour holidays at all. If you were getting married and it was your honeymoon, they would try their best to convince you it's a bad idea, because you'd be backsquadded if you missed more than 5 days out of training.

If it was me, and I got 'the call', I would ask if there is any way I could start in the following intake because of prior obligations. For example, some people have to give 3 months' notice before they can leave their job. It's possible they may have relaxed their policy of not accepting "Holidays" as a reason to request postponing attending Garnerville for SOTP.

Perhaps someone who is actually a Student Officer in Garnerville can provide advice on whether this is the current policy on pre-booked holidays?

-Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭The keyboard warrior

I, too, have a hypothetical question about holidays.

Someone posted that the next batch of vetting forms could potentially be sent out in May. I believe this information was obtained via an FOI?

Anyway, current Recruitment & Vetting Procedure dictates that these are to be returned within two weeks from the date of issue. Failure to return them in this time frame will result in an application being discontinued.

I have been invited on a last minute holiday which would last for 3 weeks in May. There will be no one at my address to confirm if they had indeed arrived.

Does this potentially mean that I could jeopardise my application if they did arrive and I was unable to send them back within the allotted time frame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

JP depending on when your medical and I did this with guess work from when you guys had your familiarisation day and if they go on the same pattern they had for campaign 1 your start date will be towards the end of august my lovely. Big emphasis on the if btw lol! Give hr a ring and ask if they think your dates will clash, what's the worst they can say. Plus you've got the option to defer. A guy on here had to defer cos of his mrs was due when he was supposed to start. Another one needed to give more notice as Shield has said. You don't ask you don't get but don't make my mistake and put your life on hold for this process xx

Keyboard you could always have your post redirected to allow a family member or something to receive the forms he only thing is you'd not be able to sign them or anything which would be a bit of a nightmare- when we filled out vetting you could email them if you had a reason why your forms were going to be late so maybe you could do that?

Yeah I had originally planned on just keeping the holidays where they were but it is a big loss of I have to cancel after payment I will phone them if I pass PCA and hopefully that will shed some light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Miss two days of training and you're backsquadded!

What do you mean by backsquadded like held back into the next squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Yep !

Wouldn't be ideal for sure I want to start on the earliest possible date of I were to get in if it turns out the he planned intakes are starting earlier Han the dates I think I will just cancel and rebook them at a time of more certainty in my life lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

I think that's a good idea, I personally would sacrifice anything I had going at the time if I'm fortunate enough to get the call. This campaign is so uncertain too, I understand it's best not to put your life on hold, but providing you pass your physical first go and the remaining stages medical etc, then you should be in the first squad, which seems to be around the corner sometime in the summer. Im only assuming 1 squad, but if 98 people got vetting so far and with rates of attrition etc and if anything like last campaign Is to go by there should be at least 1 squad of 30 plus. Possibly 2. Only assumption on my part, but yeah if you get the shot take it and run with it lol.

Sounds like a plan I'll ask when the first intakes are and if they clash I will cancel now and at least get a fair bit of money back no point risking he lot and I'm not gonna start a potential career by telling them I want to put my holidays first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Sounds like a plan I'll ask when the first intakes are and if they clash I will cancel now and at least get a fair bit of money back no point risking he lot and I'm not gonna start a potential career by telling them I want to put my holidays first!

to re-iterate what Sheild said, there is no time off during SOTP. If you have a wedding, they MAY let you off for the day, but it is then up to you to see your trainers and re-arrange some learning for what you have missed. I had to cancel a holiday back to England for my dad's birthday as its the first week of GV. Gutted because i've lost my money on flights, but there was never a moment of hesitation. You really would be better off just cancelling it and re-booking when you get out to station!

Definitely that makes sense I know they wouldn't allow me time out of training as I would need weeks rather than days- you would miss so much you would never be able to catch up on. I guess I am just trying to avoid cancelling and then no intakes going ahead until november or December! But at the end of tnge day a 600 loss of deposit is nothing in the grand scheme of things I will wait right up until the balance due date and if I haven't been eliminated everything gets cancelled

Was just thinking my lovely, what happened to my sis might be of some relevance to you. Basically she had a huge whack of her honeymoon paid off but the wedding was cancelled as he was having some extra curricular fun. Anyway she didn't know what to do about the honeymoon. She spoke to her agent who said she could transfer dates WITHOUT losing her deposit and the balance she'd paid off. Think they said under the circumstances they'd waive the small charge that normally goes with this but it's an idea. See if you can move it to next year but I'd make sure to stay away from the mad months cos who'd want to be sunning themselves on a beach when you could be in PO gear lmao :D

Wow that would be a brilliant option! I will give them a call and as if something like that could be arranged :)

• Advertisement

If you're going with the bf phone them crying your eyes out for dramatic effect!!!! I'll find out from her maybe tonight what exactly they did and let you know my lovely xx

Thanks very much :) let me know!

Alright my lovely, was speaking to my sister last night. She said her holiday was with Thomas cook so she'd imagine all big companies have the same kind of policy. Basically they told her they could either assign it to new dates and effectively you don't lose any money or change the names with friends or family but you'd have to pay for that. They should be happy enough to do that since they can still sell your holiday and they're still getting your money. Hope that helps gorgeous xx

Brilliant :) I will ask them about it!

Good luck my lovely. Just seen you guys had the online learning already. They're on the ball with that one!!! Might be a quicker turn around than 5 week stages then. Better get the holiday sorted pronto lol. If you can't I'll take it for 50% as a consolation for not getting into GV :P kidding of course xx

Spoke to them and they can change the date for a small admin cost.... The only problem there is I don't know when we could change the date to as no intakes have been confirmed ><

If your score is fairly high I'd change them to august next year. Should be ok by then. I think the first intake should be towards the end of this august

Advertisement