Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Bangkok nonstop

Options
  • 25-04-2015 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I heard somewhere last year that this was in the pipeline, is it true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Nothing yet. I wouldn't expect Norwegian to put their money where their mouth is anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

As above this was rumoured to be happening when news that Norwegian Longhaul were registering their company here surfaced.

No current plans for any operate to commence DUB-BKK.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

No great advantage .Ethead do Dublin Abudabi and on to Bangkok ,with just a 2 hour stop over .Its great to get out and stretch your legs ,at roughly the half way stage .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

anto9 wrote: »
    No great advantage .Ethead do Dublin Abudabi and on to Bangkok ,with just a 2 hour stop over .Its great to get out and stretch your legs ,at roughly the half way stage .

Etihad is 16 hours compared to roughly 12.5 direct. I know you can do 14.5 through Amsterdam to Bangkok but I'd pay an extra €100 or so to go direct.

Maybe after they add the extra 500ft or so to the runway

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Dublin to Doha would be much more likely than Dublin to Bangkok, I'd even wager a Dublin to Beijing service would be more likely to start than Dublin to Bangkok.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

^As i said Ethiad already fly Dublin direct to Abu dhabi ,and Doha is just 580 km by road from there.
    I would not hold my breath for a Dub ,Bkk service ,as i just dont see the numbers .Maybe it could be feasable for one flight a week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stinicker wrote: »
    Dublin to Doha would be much more likely than Dublin to Bangkok, I'd even wager a Dublin to Beijing service would be more likely to start than Dublin to Bangkok.

DY have suggested they'll do DUB-BKK to "prove" they're Irish if required. This would be under their new International division so so D8 not DY.

However, nobody is committed to DUB-PEK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I'd be surprised if this would happen. there are so many one stop options to BKK ex DUB. Whats more, the BKK direct market appears to have been eaten up by the ME3 to an extent. Take BA for example, now down to just a single daily 772 on this route ex LHR (I know this well, taking this flight to BKK in June! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

anto9 wrote: »

+1 I know it's longer but it doesn't seem like it is. That halfway stretch really does me a lot of good. The only problem is if you get delayed at Abu Dhabi which seems to happen a bit with all the renovations going on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭squonk

Walk through a door sideways. That should do it! Confucious say man who walk through door sideways almost certainly going to Bangkok! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭Rawr

L1011 wrote: »
    DY have suggested they'll do DUB-BKK to "prove" they're Irish if required. This would be under their new International division so so D8 not DY.

However, nobody is committed to DUB-PEK

The press here in Norway whipped up a little storm when they noticed that the Norwegian 787s had IE regs and that Norwegian International was essentially an Irish airline (and thus not subject to far stricter Norwegian labor laws). Operations-wise, Norwegian International appear to be no different to the regular Norwegian airline and use DY on their flight numbers (some kind of code-share i guess?)

Would be interesting to see if they would do DUB-BKK. I would guess their reasoning for choosing BKK would be that much of Norwegian International's crews are apparently based at BKK, and maybe mostly are staffed with people from there.

On a selfish note, if this were to happen, I'd love to see it as part of a BKK-OSL-DUB-BKK rotation. Then maybe I could take a 787 to travel between OSL and DUB :D (Probably never happen, but would be nice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

Would be a great option to save some time for those heading to Thailand on holiday, but then again a few extra hours is not too bad. I'm sure if its commercially viable an airline would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Stinicker wrote: »

I fly DUB-BKK 3-4 times a year - usually KLM these days as its the shortest (and cheapest)

But over the years i have also flown BA, AF, SAS, Qatar, Etihad, Lufthansa, EVA (Via AMS and LHR), China (Via AMS and Rome) etc

On every flight without fail there are at least 20-30 Irish people (identifiable by their accents, and "the loop" shopping bags)

When you think of the number of flights between Europe and Bkk daily - i estimate that there are easily 500 Irish people a day flying to Bkk (of course some are transitting to OZ/NZ)

So from my perspective 4 times a week Dub-BKK direct would easily be a hit...

On the other hand - i am not sure how many BC or FC seats they would sell... So maybe the aircraft would need to be single class!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

A little bird told me the goat is coming to Dublin next year!

Tell that to Stevie Kavanagh in EI....he is a proponent of the view that there is a market of approx 80 people per day to Oz from Ireland.

Isnt it an Onyx? :D

Personally I do not give this credence (too much existing capacity and competition) but it would be a welcome development.

Tenger wrote: »
    Isnt it an Onyx? :D

Personally I do not give this credence (too much existing capacity and competition) but it would be a welcome development.

What are you lads talking about? Goats?onyx? Relevance to flight to bangkok?!

Tenger wrote: »
    Tell that to Stevie Kavanagh in EI....he is a proponent of the view that there is a market of approx 80 people per day to Oz from Ireland.

Wouldn't it be great to see the air lingus planes doing a one stop flight to Australia and New Zealand.

Excuse my ignorance - but what does "the Goat" mean? :confused:
    Tell that to Stevie Kavanagh in EI....he is a proponent of the view that there is a market of approx 80 people per day to Oz from Ireland
    If you add those 80 to the people that are going to NZ and the backpackers, sexpats and expats from Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos - I think you are easily hitting 400 people per day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

37A3D23F66FF4956AA21CCF1E49E06B1-0000371550-0003761315-00454L-A7E99086EDF04F59A43E47C2E17F6DF0.jpg

The animal is called an ORYX......

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Growler!!! wrote: »

The animal is called an ORYX......

They're quite tasty too!

geecee wrote: »

If you add those 80 to the people that are going to NZ and the backpackers, sexpats and expats from Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos - I think you are easily hitting 400 people per day

Seems a decent number but the above are not the high revenue passengers that airlines really need to make a LH service viable. If EI got a few code share agreements in place it would definitely be a runner I think. BKK or Singapore is an ideal hub to feed into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭olive20

But Air Lingus haven't any planes that would go that far to Bangkok. They would have to stop somewhere for Petrol

There are also all the passengers that currently fly from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester and Birmingham via the Middle East carriers or AMS- all to avoid transiting through Heathrow.

They should be prime candidates for EI (or the other visionary airline) to pick up

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭FuzzyDunlop100

geecee wrote: »
    There are also all the passengers that currently fly from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester and Birmingham via the Middle East carriers or AMS- all to avoid transiting through Heathrow.

They should be prime candidates for EI (or the other visionary airline) to pick up

Precisely what Ethiopian are doing for westbound passengers

I guess either Qatar put the launch back a year it was meant to be this year.

Pretty sure I saw an oryx tail at T1 in Dub this morning? Anyone any idea what it was doing there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

In for painting apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

olive20 wrote: »
    But Air Lingus haven't any planes that would go that far to Bangkok. They would have to stop somewhere for Petrol

AER Lingus.

Aer is the Irish for Air and Lingus is the Latin for.........something.........

Also, wouldn't like to be putting petrol into a plane.

Advertisement