Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Bangkok nonstop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Nibs05

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Pretty sure I saw an oryx tail at T1 in Dub this morning? Anyone any idea what it was doing there?

Seen it parked in stand 305 earlier, checked flight rader after it departed, ithad no info to where it was going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Carnacalla wrote: »
    AER Lingus.

Aer is the Irish for Air and Lingus is the Latin for.........something.........

Also, wouldn't like to be putting petrol into a plane.

Lingus is from the Irish Liongeas (fleet).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

olive20 wrote: »
    But Air Lingus haven't any planes that would go that far to Bangkok. They would have to stop somewhere for Petrol
    The A330's can make it to BKK and HKG. No idea of payload restrictions however.
    A350's will make it further.

Tenger wrote: »
    The A330's can make it to BKK and HKG. No idea of payload restrictions however.
    A350's will make it further.

On our warmest days of the year with little wind there would be severe restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

FWVT wrote: »
    On our warmest days of the year with little wind there would be severe restrictions.

What's warm? 30c?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

What's warm? 30c?

Have you lived in Dublin....thats like 3-4 days per year!!!!!!!

Tenger wrote: »
    Have you lived in Dublin....thats like 3-4 days per year!!!!!!!

3-4 days per year!?! I'm moving to Dublin.

Here in Clare, we got 30c 2 days in 2013, warmest I've felt in this century.

What's warm? 30c?

Well here are some comparisons of density altitude at various conditions we get.

Temp/dewpoint: 0/-5 °C
    Pressure: 1030 hPa
    Density Altitude: -2050 ft
    Air density: 1.299 kg/m3

Temp/dewpoint: 25/15 °C
    Pressure: 1000 hPa
    Density Altitude: 2123 ft
    Air density: 1.151 kg/ m3

A 4100-ft difference in density altitudes from a 14% difference in air densities, so 14% more runway is required on the warm day. Someone can tell us what the takeoff distances for say an A330-300 would be in both cases, but we see how different things are in winter and "summer" here.

Here are the takeoff perfomance charts for ISA and ISA + 15 degrees for the A330 family with PW4000 engines.

For DUB's 2367 m TORA there is around a 15-Tonne MTOW difference between ISA (~210 T) and ISA+15 (~225 T).

Disclaimer: I may not have any idea of what I'm talking about

ISA
    349368.PNG

ISA + 15
    349369.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Dont forget that it does get warm in Asia and you would be flying back against the prevailing winds.... What type of engines to the EI A330 have, hopefully not PW4000's as shown above.

• Advertisement

smurfjed wrote: »
    Dont forget that it does get warm in Asia and you would be flying back against the prevailing winds.... What type of engines to the EI A330 have, hopefully not PW4000's as shown above.

Yes but for example BKK's longest runway is 4000 m so not an issue.

All the EI A330s have the CF6-80E1A4B engines, making the difference around 13 tonnes (223 vs 210).

But they are flat rated at ISA+15 compared to ISA+22 for RR. So you will start to lose weight during daytime operations.

smurfjed wrote: »
    But they are flat rated at ISA+15 compared to ISA+22 for RR. So you will start to lose weight during daytime operations.

As I said in my disclaimer, I may not know what I'm talking about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭olive20

Ran the scenario for A332 on average day/winds aloft including 2 alternates and the outbound to BKK is 11.40 with alternates and restrictions on 28, max payload about 170 paxs no freight inbound 180 paxs no freight. The -300 cant do it, too far. -200 can but not viable.

Maybe when the 350 is around these parts Aer Lingus might consider if you all write in!!

olive20 wrote: »
    Air Lingus

AER

Aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer

The post earlier about Aer being the Irish for Air and Lingus being the Irish for fleet was not for nothing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭olive20

LOL Chillax

Olive20, can u run the plan based on historical monthly winds rather than a daily average, especially for the winter winds....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

AER

Aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer aer

The post earlier about Aer being the Irish for Air and Lingus being the Irish for fleet was not for nothing!!!

Calm down Carnacalla, it's not the end of the world!

reebok-clothing-calm-down-small-62207.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

sorry for resurrecting a zombie thread... but has anyone heard any recent news on a Dublin to Bangkok direct flight?

Every time I fly to Bkk I see that the flight has 40-50 Irish people... given the amount of carriers flying out of Europe... surely there are enough Irish flying to Bkk to fill and justify a 4 flight a week direct route?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Personally I don't see it happening, so many one stop options as well as the fact DUB is at the wrong end of the continent. If anyone would do it I think it would be Norweigan on a B788 or somehting like that. Theres no direct route from Manchester either, which I would imagine would se similar traffic on the genral routing.

The ME3 have a massive presense in BKK, i think thats certainly taking its toll on the probablility of more non stop Europe to Thailand flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Zonda999 wrote: »
    The ME3 have a massive presense in BKK, i think thats certainly taking its toll on the probablility of more non stop Europe to Thailand flights.

But surely people would be willing to pay a few quid extra to cut back the 15.5/16.5 hours on a ME3 flight (inc stopovers) to a more comfortable 11/12 hours

It would be so great to have a night flight to BKK, leaving Dub at 22.30 and arriving to Bkk at 16.00 the next day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Thailand is low yield and would be a minor destination for cargo also and there would be small Thai expat community who would be price sensitive also, so it probably won't ever happen, somewhere like Manila might be more likely as the Filipino expat community continues to grow here in maybe 10 years time.

Only chance of a DUB-BKK flight would be as a stopover destination to either Australia or NZ but that won't happen either with BA controlling Aer Lingus now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

geecee wrote: »
    But surely people would be willing to pay a few quid extra to cut back the 15.5/16.5 hours on a ME3 flight (inc stopovers) to a more comfortable 11/12 hours

It would be so great to have a night flight to BKK, leaving Dub at 22.30 and arriving to Bkk at 16.00 the next day

It would be more like 14 hours non stop from Bkk to Dub as it 13 hours to 10 mins to London.

It would be about 13 hours going over.

Having to do that route with kids, i'd take the short stop over anytime over that torture.

Done Kuala Lumpur to London non stop and it was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭Rawr

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Personally I don't see it happening, so many one stop options as well as the fact DUB is at the wrong end of the continent. If anyone would do it I think it would be Norweigan on a B788 or somehting like that. Theres no direct route from Manchester either, which I would imagine would se similar traffic on the genral routing.

Over here in Oslo, both Norwegian and Thai compete on the direct route between OSL and BKK. As far as I can tell (by seeing these flights boarding), both have plenty of demand. However it is worth noting that Norwegians (and Scandinavians in general) are a little ga-ga for Thailand. It is the fancy holiday of choice for many. Because of this you'll often also see direct charters between OSL and some of the southern Thai airports (near the resorts).

There is also a sizable Thai ex-pat population in Norway that must be helping.

If you would rather avoid the ME3, both Norwegian and SAS (code-shareing with Thai) could be used to fly DUB -> OSL -> BKK. I haven't a clue how that compares in price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Thailand is a leisure route. BA doesn't even fly First there.

The money is in last minute business and cargo on long haul and Thailand doesn't have that market.

I'd say we would have a route to Hong Kong before BKK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

afatbollix wrote: »
    I'd say we would have a route to Hong Kong before BKK.

We will with Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong as they recently announced their flights to Dublin from June onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Some years ago I spoke with someone "high up" in Dublin Airport about this. Said it wasn't possible as runway was not long enough for rake off with fuel required for one stop to BKK. BKK to Dublin would have been no problem. Not sure if things have changed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Rawr wrote: »

If you would rather avoid the ME3, both Norwegian and SAS (code-shareing with Thai) could be used to fly DUB -> OSL -> BKK. I haven't a clue how that compares in price though.

Finnair also do it through HEL though connection times aren't great. I flew the route last year and it was €250 cheaper than the ME3 one way. A350 on BKK - HEL as well which was nice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Jomcc wrote: »
    Some years ago I spoke with someone "high up" in Dublin Airport about this. Said it wasn't possible as runway was not long enough for rake off with fuel required for one stop to BKK. BKK to Dublin would have been no problem. Not sure if things have changed since.

not much difference between dublin to Bangkok and Dublin to Hong Kong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

DUB BKK 6138 NM

DUB HKG 6109 nm

A330-200 max range 7250 nm

but you're tying up an aircraft for a long time and a hot and heavy might not get out of 10/28 , for, as said above, largely a bucket and spade crew

Advertisement