Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Bangkok nonstop

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Riskymove wrote: »
    not much difference between dublin to Bangkok and Dublin to Hong Kong

That's true. Didn’t actually realise there are direct flights from Dub to Hong Kong. Anyway it's definitely 7 or 8 years since I was talking about this. Obviously things have moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

how many actually go to bangkok when holidaying in thailand? surely the various coastal destinations like phuket are more popular, and it'll be difficult to sustain a flight from dublin to there alone, this is where the etihad, emirates, qatar and turkish have a major advantage in being able to funnel people from all over that wanna go to those places and fill up the flights to them

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Luke-m

1123heavy wrote: »
    how many actually go to bangkok when holidaying in thailand? surely the various coastal destinations like phuket are more popular, and it'll be difficult to sustain a flight from dublin to there alone, this is where the etihad, emirates, qatar and turkish have a major advantage in being able to funnel people from all over that wanna go to those places and fill up the flights to them

To the best of my knowledge some charter company ( I think budget travel but could be wrong) had a flight to Phuket with a 767 back in the 90s for a season. Afaik it was payload restricted and might have made a stop depending on winds on the way back. I’d have to agree that Turkish, and the Middle East three have Thailand sown up.

As regards runway issues, that would have been a problem ten years ago but with more modern aircraft like the a350 that really shouldn’t be an issue off 28 to Bangkok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Bangkok is the most visited city on the planet, I'd imagine the vast majority of tourists visit the city. Problem is a lot of the onward beach & tourist destinations in SEA are served from DMK with Air Asia rather than BKK so I can't see a route ever working if it's built mainly off tourist traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

A quick search of the net brought this up.
    It looks like runway length is not the only issue with permits also needed to fly over Russia.

https://www.independent.ie/business/world/norwegian-plans-direct-flights-from-ireland-to-asia-if-russia-agrees-35876477.html

• Advertisement

A quick search of the net brought this up.
    It looks like runway length is not the only issue with permits also needed to fly over Russia.

https://www.independent.ie/business/world/norwegian-plans-direct-flights-from-ireland-to-asia-if-russia-agrees-35876477.html

Media hype, the Russians have no issue letting passenger flights over their airspace, I have direct experience with gaining overflight permits with the russian authorities and the hype and rumours about them wanting to block us all are just nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Media hype, the Russians have no issue letting passenger flights over their airspace, I have direct experience with gaining overflight permits with the russian authorities and the hype and rumours about them wanting to block us all are just nonsense

Don't you mean fake news.

Anyway i'm only posting a link, i'm not really interested in the politics of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Luke-m

Id well believe that. It hasn't stoped Cathay from opening a route to Dublin which will involve overflying Russia. I think that article in question was part of a charm offensive when they were opening routes to the east coast of the USA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Russia do charge for overflying their territory so there is that but whoever is willing to pay will be left overfly I reckon. Back during the Cold War Russian airspace was off limits which created huge detours and stop overs going to Asia with Anchorage, Alaska and simililary Shannon benefiting from the traffic, Shannon was Neutral so the Soviet Aeroflot and Cubana were regular visitors also.

Doltanian wrote: »
    Russia do charge for overflying their territory so there is that but whoever is willing to pay will be left overfly I reckon. Back during the Cold War Russian airspace was off limits which created huge detours and stop overs going to Asia with Anchorage, Alaska and simililary Shannon benefiting from the traffic, Shannon was Neutral so the Soviet Aeroflot and Cubana were regular visitors also.

What country doesn't charge for overflight permits and rights? Everyone does, it's not a Russian thing, it's nothing more than a fee to pay for the ATC service received .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

What country doesn't charge for overflight permits and rights? Everyone does,

Somalia! But they don't have a functioning anything:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Luke-m wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge some charter company ( I think budget travel but could be wrong) had a flight to Phuket with a 767 back in the 90s for a season. Afaik it was payload restricted and might have made a stop depending on winds on the way back. I’d have to agree that Turkish, and the Middle East three have Thailand sown up.

As regards runway issues, that would have been a problem ten years ago but with more modern aircraft like the a350 that really shouldn’t be an issue off 28 to Bangkok now.

I flew this in the late 90's (maybe 2000). Britannia operated the flights on the 767 with a stop in AUH. Left DUB in the morning and arrived in HKT the following morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

FYP
    Doltanian wrote: »
    with BA IAG controlling Aer Lingus now.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

I was on a DUB-BKK charter flight in late December 2004 - supposed to leave on St Stephen's Day but it was delayed a day due to the huge tsunami. Haven't seen any other flights on that route before or since.

Not 100% but I'm pretty sure it was a tired-looking Thai Air 747, but I don't know which variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

Popeleo wrote: »
    I was on a DUB-BKK charter flight in late December 2004 - supposed to leave on St Stephen's Day but it was delayed a day due to the huge tsunami. Haven't seen any other flights on that route before or since.

Not 100% but I'm pretty sure it was a tired-looking Thai Air 747, but I don't know which variant.

Orient Thai?
    If it was, you were taking a big risk with your life!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Something I'll never understand is how anyone can go that distance and not experience BKK. We find it an incredible place - granted my Missus is from there, but to me, there is always something to see there. Love the City!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Something I'll never understand is how anyone can go that distance and not experience BKK. We find it an incredible place - granted my Missus is from there, but to me, there is always something to see there. Love the City!

Totally, on my first trip to Thailand I spent around 1 week there and I loved Bangkok, its a vibrant amazing city, getting a TukTuk around the city is a nice experience in itself. Making a beeline for the nearest beach to mix with other foreigners is doing the country a huge disservice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I think a lot of people go to Bangkok and stay in Ko San Road as part of a backpacking trip. They'll stay in utter dog**** hostels and be completely overwhelmed by the hustle and bustle, on top of that they may not have experienced a truely massive city before. While I think KSR has it's time and place its overall a very unpleasant area of the city, even the seedier areas of Sukhumvit are far more tolerable, and it leaves people with a rotten impression of the place. You see the same effect with Hollywood/LA and even Tiananman/Beijing. Bangkok isn't like New York or London with ready made tourist friendly CBD's and ubiquitous public transport, it takes a good bit of effort on the travelers part. I'm in agreement with you though, it's a fantastic city that is well worth investing some time in. I hope Dublin gets a proper direct route

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

snotboogie wrote: »
    I think a lot of people go to Bangkok and stay in Ko San Road as part of a backpacking trip. They'll stay in utter dog**** hostels and be completely overwhelmed by the hustle and bustle, on top of that they may not have experienced a truely massive city before. While I think KSR has it's time and place its overall a very unpleasant area of the city, even the seedier areas of Sukhumvit are far more tolerable, and it leaves people with a rotten impression of the place. You see the same effect with Hollywood/LA and even Tiananman/Beijing. Bangkok isn't like New York or London with ready made tourist friendly CBD's and ubiquitous public transport, it takes a good bit of effort on the travelers part. I'm in agreement with you though, it's a fantastic city that is well worth investing some time in. I hope Dublin gets a proper direct route

I dunno how recently you've been to Khaosan or Bangkok in general but in the last five or 6 years it's gotten a lot better, hostels are very good and really good quality in comparison to even a few years ago. It's very user friendly in the point of view that taxis and tuk tuks are so cheap and easily get you to all the tourist destinations. Your right tho, it's a sprawling city with a lack of a CBD but public transport is grand of your brave enough

duffman13 wrote: »
    I dunno how recently you've been to Khaosan or Bangkok in general but in the last five or 6 years it's gotten a lot better, hostels are very good and really good quality in comparison to even a few years ago. It's very user friendly in the point of view that taxis and tuk tuks are so cheap and easily get you to all the tourist destinations. Your right tho, it's a sprawling city with a lack of a CBD but public transport is grand of your brave enough

I was in Bangkok last year but didn't visit Ko San Rd, last time I was there was 2014. Granted it didn't show the hostels but the Bangkok112 videos make it look even messier than when I was last there!

• Advertisement

Bangkok is the most visited city on the planet, I'd imagine the vast majority of tourists visit the city. Problem is a lot of the onward beach & tourist destinations in SEA are served from DMK with Air Asia rather than BKK so I can't see a route ever working if it's built mainly off tourist traffic.

I can't see that being an issue, most people who travel to SEA are going for two weeks plus and don't have an issue spending a night either end of the trip in Bangkok. Even for those who don't want to, there is still an extensive network from BKK; there are four different airlines serving Phuket and connections to Ko Samui, Chiang Mai, Krabi, Da Nang, HCM, Phnom Penh etc etc.

I would imagine that connections to Australia and New Zealand and to a lesser extent China and even India would be a big part of the route too.

Advertisement