Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV License with no TV?

Options
  • 25-04-2015 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Just wondering regarding this. We had a TV License the past year and it expired this month. Around October/November the only TV in the house broke and we never bothered fixing it, we just scrapped it and sold the consoles we had. All we have is our Laptops. got a letter in the door today to warn us the TV license was out. I'm not 100% sure on this but do you not need to have a TV in order to need a TV license?

(I know in this day and age its odd for people to not have a TV, but we just wouldn't justify it enough to go out and buy one)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Do you still have the TV in the house or is it actually dumped? If gone out of house At the moment you don't need one. But that may change with new broadcasting bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Yeah its gone to the dump a while ago, it went out with a bang and it was old anyway. I've heard about the broadcast bill I was going to keep the money for that. How can I prove to them we have no tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I rang them when we got rid of our TV and they posted out the standard declaration for us to fill in.

Had to buy a new license recently when we got a new TV. That hurt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

A tv requires a tuner
    If it has a tuner you need a license if you have a tv panel you don't
    For example you use film on to and beam to your to panel
    But if the tv accepts a tuner signal then you need one, eg soar view

You don't need a license if you watch on your laptop currently

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll ring them during the week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Doff wrote: »
    Helloord

(I know in this day and age its odd for people to not have a TV, but we just wouldn't justify it enough to go out and buy one)

It's not odd in the least.

Generation NTV is now about 5% of the population and growing according to the Irish Times a few months ago.

Growing numbers are realising that they just don't need or want TV if they have the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Doff wrote: »
    I've heard about the broadcast bill I was going to keep the money for that.

That bill is not coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

tv or no tv considering the dismal standard of RTE programming and how hard a tv licence is to enforce, I'm amazed anyone pays it.

It's not odd in the least.

Generation NTV is now about 5% of the population and growing according to the Irish Times a few months ago.

Growing numbers are realising that they just don't need or want TV if they have the Internet.

Even the people who don't use traditional tv (i.e. Terrestrial or satellite etc) tend to have a large tv for connecting their laptop or media player to rather than watching stuff on a Small laptop screen. Personally I fall into the bracket of not being able to do without satellite and a full a sports pack never mind not having a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

My TV was made redundant when digital arrived. I was waiting until Saorview boxes became cheaper and then realised I hadn't missed it.
    If I need to catch up on anything I have my tablet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

MouseTail wrote: »

The UK are discussing something similar instead of a TV licence. You can be sure they will bring in something else if they feel like they're losing out on income. Like Mrs O'Bumble said, there's a growing number without a TV and that means there's fewer people paying.

They'll wait for the furore over water to die down and possibly after the election but they'll bring in this alternative to the TV licence eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its a sore point here, we do have a TV but use UK FreeSat so never ever watch Irish TV. I'd rather pay the BBC license than the Irish one as I do watch their stuff. The Irish TV license is just a charge to me for absolutely nothing in return.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

they'll bring in this alternative to the TV licence eventually.

Either that - or just fund public broadcasting from general taxation, and avoid the ridiculous transaction and enforcement costs of a dedicated payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ekimiam

The UK are discussing something similar instead of a TV licence. You can be sure they will bring in something else if they feel like they're losing out on income. Like Mrs O'Bumble said, there's a growing number without a TV and that means there's fewer people paying.

They'll wait for the furore over water to die down and possibly after the election but they'll bring in this alternative to the TV licence eventually.

UK already tried that. A friend in UNI dorms got a letter, along with 5,000 of her house mates, claming she owed them £ 85 because she had a laptop.
    (how did they know that....)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

MouseTail wrote: »

Do you have a link for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

AKA, its scrapped.

ekimiam wrote: »
    UK already tried that. A friend in UNI dorms got a letter, along with 5,000 of her house mates, claming she owed them £ 85 because she had a laptop.
    (how did they know that....)

When was that and who was the letter from? If you watch live BBC on iPlayer you do have to get a licence but the licence was never discounted for online only and the last time it was around £85 predated iPlayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

I'm curious about this new media bill. To put it simply, I don't really watch any Irish television stations or listen to any radio stations. I entertain myself with computer games, books, and Netflix. I'm somewhat... concerned about this media consumption bill. I don't have any TV so I don't need to pay for any TV licence.

My concern is that the government or whatever party that enforces the TV licence, is going to try and make money from the work of others without contributing to the costs of the original creator. I believe there are crowds like the MIAA or RIAA that consider that to be piracy. Take as an example, if I watch Daredevil on Netflix, this would mean, because of the media consumption licence, that I have to pay them money. Did they assist Netflix in making that series? Did they foot the cost of set design or actors etc? I find this concept to be incredibly shady. Am I wrong? I hope I am because quite frankly, I've no interest or intention of paying this new licence bill.

If I consume Irish media at home, then sure, but I generally don't. And if I watch something on, say, youtube, a short clip of whatever. They get advertising revenue from youtube (If they're set up as a youtube partner) so they're already being compensated. It's also not as if youtube charges them to host videos on itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

So... By your reasoning, if I get food ordered in, I should tip the delivery driver who delivered the foods to the restaurant as well as the guy who delivered the food to my door?

And your second fact, how the hell does that factor into anything? I live in a first world country so I should be happy to pay for something I don't use? I should be happy to throw away money for absolutely no reason? Go troll someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

So... By your reasoning, if I get food ordered in, I should tip the delivery driver who delivered the foods to the restaurant as well as the guy who delivered the food to my door?

And your second fact, how the hell does that factor into anything? I live in a first world country so I should be happy to pay for something I don't use? I should be happy to throw away money for absolutely no reason? Go troll someone else.

less of the attitude please

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

it's the worst law ever along with the good friday pubs law :)

less of the attitude please
    What about the attitude I was getting from him? He's being pedantic at the least and outright condescending at the most. My first sentence was an analogy to show how ludicrous his his reply was and my second sentence was calling him out for obvious trolling.

I'm sure you pay lots of taxes for services you don't avail of. The Government haven't introduced this nor is it on the cards any time soon so don't worry about it yet. The way to change their minds is to write to your TD.

The Government do see the national broadcaster as an essential service which needs to be funded by the public. Your agreement or dissent should be voiced to your representative.

I'm sure you pay lots of taxes for services you don't avail of. The Government haven't introduced this nor is it on the cards any time soon so don't worry about it yet. The way to change their minds is to write to your TD.

The Government do see the national broadcaster as an essential service which needs to be funded by the public. Your agreement or dissent should be voiced to your representative.

Thank you, the kind of response I was looking for. I will do so.

Advertisement