Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Might Be In The Wrong Place, But Need Advice On Changing Mobile Network

• 25-04-2015 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but seeing as I'm an iPhone user and will be using the iPhone on the network I'll be choosing, I thought I could ask in here...

Anyway, I'm currently on 3 bill pay, which I was previously on o2 before the changeover to 3. And I'm thinking of changing to vodafone because of their "red roaming" data roaming deal that they currently have...
    http://www.vodafone.ie/roaming/red-roaming/

I'm away in europe often and also in the states too, and at the moment I can't use my data over there without being F'd in the A with roaming charges.
    So when I saw the red roaming offer from Vodafone I thought that's what I need.

But the question is, what's Vodafone like as a network? I've been an o2 customer for over 17 years and never been on any other network.
    And what's people's opinions on the current o2 / 3 changeover, are anyone else considering jumping ship?

So, anyone on Vodafone let me know what the network is like on a day to day basis around Dublin and if they use or have used the red roaming when abroad.

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

I'm with Vodafone mainly for roaming. I will never use the min/text that are included in my plan (the data I do) especially since VF numbers don't use up any min/texts and I call those most.
    With regards to red roaming, I find it the best value if you use your phone regularly abroad, one set charge and you just use your phone as you like, keeping in mind the max 200mb a day. You get warning text approaching and reaching the limit, but even if you go over its only €0.06/mb (EU). VF does not allow you to use your roaming data for tethering (mobile hotspot) you get charged separately (and a lot) you can use tethering from you plan data while in Ireland.
    The downside from red roaming is its a minimum charge, so any use (like sending a text) or any data use will activate the min charge. Good to know is that if you visit more than 1 country a day the charge will be based on the first country you started roaming in.
    As for network I think Vodafone generally has the best coverage and 4g coverage, but it depends entirely on where you live, there will be someone posting that hey have no signal somewhere in the middle of nowhere with full 4g on another network, that doesn't mean that looking at the entire country Vodafone probably has the best coverage. If you go abroad you depend on the local network but Vodafone networks are usually -one of- the best.
    Edit just see you ask about Dublin specially; I'm mostly in D16/D14 and generally have 4g reception indoors, for work I'm around airport/swords and again mostly 4g. Sometimes 3G but still very fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

Thanks a lot for the info, just what I'm looking for.

Just want to get some more opinions on this now.

Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Probably get more pertinent answers on the Talk to forums for Vodafone and Three:

VF

Three

Advertisement