Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of childminder

Options
  • 25-04-2015 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi all, quick question. My mum minds my 2 kids (1yo and 2.5yo) one day a week for me as I work part time. Something has come up next week and she has to take my kids 2 days for us. Now I'm aware that's a lot to expect of my mum so I said Id get some sort of minder in to help her for the 2 days.

My mum found a lady to help her from 9am-5pm for the 2 days. She has been told it's €13 per hour. Now this isn't through an agency and the person has no qualifications or anything. It's just a friend of her friends minder. I'm just wondering does this seem very expensive? My mum is going to be there the whole time and will prob end up doing a lot. And the baby will sleep for 2 hours each of those 2 days. I don't mind paying this at all if that's what the going rate is I just want any opinions. I could understand this being the rate of my mum wasn't going to be there. But as I said, my mum will prob end up doing a lot of the work aswell... Wel at least half of the work anyway I'm thinking anyway...

Any opinions appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

TBH, I'd have expected the rate to be €10 an hour. However, the fact your mum is there won't make any odds on the rate as she's still giving up her time. A better way to approach it would be a day rate. If your mum is still going to be doing most of the work though then its probably not worthwhile - I don't understand why you'd have two people?? (maybe I'm missing something??) I know your mum may find it tiring for 2 days and you don't want to leave the children with a stranger but seeing as its a once off, could a neighbour or friend possibly help?? If I was a childminder, I wouldn't like the granny been there - I'd feel like I was been watched!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hi, thanks for your reply. The reason for 2 people being pretty much exactly what you stated. I wouldn't expect my mum to mind 2 babies for 2 whole days on her own. She would be exhausted and she's good enough to do one day for us (she's in her mid-late 60s). So My mum is going to take them for the 2 days and the lady is just going to come in for the 2 days and give a helping hand. It's my mum who will be doing the minding really and telling the helper what needs to be done etc. I wouldn't leave them with a stranger or someone I haven't met. No neighbours or friends to ask. They all work.

I spose I just thought payment would kinda take into account the amount of work done aswell... Not just the time. But I totally understand about her giving up her time regardless etc etc. for example people who do a lot of work or have high qualifications might get paid more than those who perhaps do less or with less qualifications... Even if they work the same amount of hours.

Anyways It's not a massive deal as its only a once off but I just thought €13 was a bit steep. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If she has no qualifications and it's not through an agency it's a nixer? Does she do that work for a living?

Tbh I would absolutely not pay that much to an uninsured, unqualified minder. I totally understand if it was her actual job. Overheads like insurance, continuous education etc means they can and should charge accordingly. But that's not what you're getting.

Whispered wrote: »
    If she has no qualifications and it's not through an agency it's a nixer? Does she do that work for a living?

Tbh I would absolutely not pay that much to an uninsured, unqualified minder. I totally understand if it was her actual job. Overheads like insurance, continuous education etc means they can and should charge accordingly. But that's not what you're getting.

Yea you see that's what I was thinking. She's not a childminder and it is just a nixer for the 2 days as a once off. It works out at €104 per day for pretty much changing a couple nappies and doing some jigsaws etc. prob playing with my toddler outside for an hour. mum will be preparing their meals and settling them etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

That is a crazy amount of money! It would be cheaper for you to put them in a creche with minders that have degrees in childcare. Look around for another minder. I would not pay her that.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice. I think I might look into an agency. As I said, I don't mind paying the money. It's just that with no qualifications etc I thought the amount quoted was expensive. I'd just feel bad cancelling on her now at this late stage... But will have a look at some agencies in the net tonight. Thanks again.

Actually guys, while I'm at it I'll ask another question if you don't mind.

I'm currently on the look out for a part time childminder 1-2 days per week in my own home for the 2 kids. What should I charge per hour or per day? (9am-5.30pm) but that could change to (9am-4pm) in the next month or so. I'm aware since it's in my house I have to pay their prsi etc. I'm meeting a girl next week who is Montessori trained and also has just finished a degree in primary school teaching. So she is avaliable to mind children over the summer.

What rates do you think would be appropriate considering her qualifications?

Thanks again. You guys are a wealth of knowledge as I've no clue about childminding or crèche fees.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

When it is in your home you are an employer and minimum wage and tax apply,it is usually around 10-12 euro an hour + taxes.

Advertisement