Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer Voltage Converter

Options
  • 25-04-2015 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi guys,
    I recently had a friend bring back a printer from the US without realizing that it only operated on 110V, as I had assumed it would be able to handle 220V as well.
    This is the model printer I bought:

Brother-HL-L2340DW
    (I tried to include a link to the amazon.com page but as I am a new user it will not let me post a URL)

It seems like I need a voltage converter but without much expertise in this area, I dont know what type to buy and I am unsure of the wattage the printer uses. Could anyone give me an idea of what type converter to buy (or recommend a good model) or what wattage the printer uses?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

• Registered Users Posts: 13 EoinM17

Is it just me or does that sound extremely high?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

EoinM17 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does that sound extremely high?
    Laser printers often have high startup power requirements as they have to heat up a roller or something. I recall reading advice to, for example, not connect laser printers to UPS's for this very reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Step down transformers to go from 220v uk to 110 us plug usually aren't rated for 1000 watts; so don't go getting a cheap yolk from amazon just because the plugs will fit.

Cost of replacing that brother printer is about €100 or €50 secondhand, so I'd probably write it off.
    If the replacement is from the same range, reuse the toner cartridge, the loss is minimal, and there's no fire risk on your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ressem wrote: »
    Step down transformers to go from 220v uk to 110 us plug usually aren't rated for 1000 watts; so don't go getting a cheap yolk from amazon just because the plugs will fit.

You can get a transformer rated up to several kW, Amazon UK have a 3 kW model for £125. There's no technical obstacle to stop the OP getting a 1 kW transformer but the cost would be silly relative to buying a replacement new printer which would come with a 12 months guarantee.

Ballpark numbers from Amazon are £60 sterling for 1kW (1,000W) and £75 for 1,500W. You'd be crazy not to simply junk the US printer and buy a new one.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice guys. I have been reading up more about this and was wondering if it might be cheaper to buy a site transformer? They seem to do the same job but looks like they might require an adaptor. I'd rather not scrap the printer, but I will if I have to.

A 110v transformer, like one might use to run a building site tool from a 240v mains socket, might be cheaper than a new printer

So if I buy a 1.5 kW site transformer that would be safe to use? And I actually have a US extension lead so if I cut off one end and solder it to one of the three pin plugs that site transformers use would that be able to operate the printer?

Again thanks for the help, much appreciated.

I don't think soldering would be involved. Cut the plug off the printer lead, that goes into the wall socket, strip and connect to a plug suitable for the transformer (I think they're yellow). Mind your connections!

Yeah that sounds easier actually. Thanks :) anyone know where I can get a cheap site transformer? I'm wondering if I would be better off going into an actual shop rather than online for something like this as shipping could get expensive...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

not worth getting a transformer :

http://www.brother.ie/printers/laser/hl-l2340dw
    HL-L2340DW

Compact High Quality Mono Laser Printer with Wi-Fi

€114.99 (Inc. VAT)
    €93.49 (Ex. VAT)

http://www.brother.ie/printers/laser/hl-l2340dw

If I can get a transformer that will do the job cheaper than I can buy a new printer I will get the transformer. However it it costs more I will keep this in mind. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Site transformers are centre-tapped, it might bother it a bit

Hey guys just a thought, but is there any way I would be able to purchase one of the internal power bricks for the European model printer and install it in my US one? I have a bit of experience with small electronics so I might be able to manage it of there's not too many connection. I'm assuming they both supply the motors and controllers with the same stepped down voltage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

In theory, yes.

In practice, you'll be a while sourcing the part without buying a new printer (a cheaper http://www.vikingdirect.ie/a/pb/Brother-HL-L2300D-A4-mono-laser-printer/pr=QD5&id=6865771/ would likely do)

those Brother printers tend to be a pain to disassemble. You'd have to be meticulous to diagram everything and keep all the parts in order. And there's not likely a publicly available service manual.

Not going to recommend it. End up spending more money for two broken printers most likely.

You trying to avoid hurting someone's feelings after they hauled that junk from the states?

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking I might just buy the same printer again from brother.ie.

And actually its my own fault for asking them to bring it back :( I thought I read 110-220v on the description but I must have been wrong

Advertisement