Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green curry smells funny

Options
  • 25-04-2015 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Hi anyone ever get a curry that smells weird? Just brought home a take away from very good Thai and it smells off. Don't want to name them because they are rectifying the problem by replacing but I'm surprised as they're food is usually gorgeous.
    The only way I can describe it is it smells a bit like a toilet! Tastes a bit sour too, seems to be the sauce as the chicken is fine...
    Ever had this problem?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Fair play for trusting your nose. The coconut milk could have been sour. I'd take no chances myself, especially when I'm paying for it and chicken's involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Fair play for trusting your nose. The coconut milk could have been sour. I'd take no chances myself, especially when I'm paying for it and chicken's involved.

Thanks. The second one they sent was the same so I did some research. It has something to do with bamboo shoots. If they are fresh and not cooked a particular way they smell like horse urine! Thing is some people are more sensitive to it than others so the poor guy in the restaurant couldn't understand. I can't understand how they weren't getting more complaints. Got a refund onto my account in fairness.
    Weird one!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

If in doubt, chuck it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

For what it's worth, it might be fish sauce which smells rank but is still mysteriously great in a thai curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

fish sauce if its gone off, will make it smell like that. I had this unpleasant experience before :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

fish sauce if its gone off, will make it smell like that. I had this unpleasant experience before :o

I thought something like that but the guy kept saying no one else had complained and they had sold 100 green Curries. I knew I wasn't imagining things so with a bit of research I came across the bamboo shoots thing. Either he was lying or most people have a high tolerance for smelly curry!

Advertisement