Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! ART 2015 - predictions, guesses and discussion

Options
  • 25-04-2015 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

My art teacher did a pretty half assed job of teaching us this section of the course, and I'm still not 100% sure if we're going to a gallery this month or not. Are there any good sites to study this section of the course?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I haven't looked but I think it'll be very hard to find any resources for art appreciation aimed specifically at Leaving Cert. There are lots of resources for art appreciation in general though. They might be your best bet.

The gallery question will be impossible to do without actually visiting a gallery so make sure your teacher brings you. It's not really something that can be learned though reading about it. The question comes up nearly every year.

Do you have a book for Art? I know a lot of people don't use one. If you do, there's usually a few pages of notes about art appreciation on them. If you don't, try and see if you can get a revision book. There's very little about this section in them but it might be worth it. Public libraries have them so see if you can borrow one (I know DCC libraries have around 30 Less Street More Success Art History books between them).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's nothing to stop you visiting a gallery on your own.

If you ask the curator for pointers for a Leaving Cert. answer, they will more than likely have done LC Art themselves and will help you. You could visit more than one gallery and give yourself extra stuff to mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

Would I be all right just learning the Georgian Period for Section 1 of the exam?

Also any AH predicts post 'em!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Peg14 wrote: »
    Would I be all right just learning the Georgian Period for Section 1 of the exam?

Also any AH predicts post 'em!!

You would be taking a risk in that there is likely to be a Georgian question but it could be very difficult to answer.

I reckon Iron Age/La Tene stands a good chance of coming up in section I - but I would not recommend just studying that either.

Keep your options open as much as possible.

I suppose so, but if I know the houses and all that, I can always work my way around the Q? Especially if I pay extra attention to the other sections. For European Art I will be okay learning
    *Cimabue/Giotto
    *International Style (Diptych and Book of hours)
    *Giberti
    *Ucello
    *Masaccio
    *Donatello
    *Brunelleschi
    *Da Vinci

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

I just have the pre-christian era learned for question 1. If I have a chance I might learn a few Irish artists too. I was reading a forum and that's what the guy says to do, also in the Less Stress book it says that you should know one era of each section in detail and have a basis of the other just to be sure. Not quite sure about the European section myself as its a very broad section, but you seem to have a good base. Maybe learn Van Eyck too, it's been a while since he came up.
    That being said, I didn't write the exams so it's a lot of assumptions.

RingoIRL wrote: »
    My art teacher did a pretty half assed job of teaching us this section of the course, and I'm still not 100% sure if we're going to a gallery this month or not. Are there any good sites to study this section of the course?

Art Appreciation is literally Junior Certificate media studies with a touch of gallery questions. It's all about YOUR interpretation of art, and if you have the write language, eg, using words like versatile when it comes to the logos you should be set. Also if you didn't go to a gallery there are plenty of resources on National Gallery website and the Hugh Lane Gallery to make it seem as if you went to a gallery, I would just learn them and try imagine being there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

I found this thread I remembered from a couple of years ago from a 6 A1s (including art) student.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86428751
    I never did art so I can't assess their usefulness but I'd imagine his result suggests they're pretty solid!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I studied Fine Art then did a degree in History of Art if you need a hand.

Does anyone have a compare and contrast pre-christian era and early christian ireland essay prepped? What do you write for it?

• Advertisement

oktplz wrote: »
    Does anyone have a compare and contrast pre-christian era and early christian ireland essay prepped? What do you write for it?

In relation to stonecarving - prechristian era did not alter the shape of the stone but tended to decorate instead eg - Newgrange entrance stone, Turoe stone. in the Boa Island carvings they are beginning to shape the stone more but esentially they follow the natural shape of the stone. When you get into the Christian era the sculptors are actually shaping the stone into cruciform shapes -eg the High Crosses. Also they begin to carve deeper in relief from Carndonagh High Cross where the carving is almost incised to Moone where the figures stand in relief to Monasterboice where the figures stand out bold. By the time you get to the very late crosses such as Dysart O' Dea the figures are extremely in relief.

In relation to Metalwork there is a much greater variety of techniques used in the Christian era. Enamelling, Cloisonne, filigree.

In terms of both the metalwork and stonecarving the art is predominately abstract in the Prechristian era ( there is a small amount of figurative carving in the lron Age which shows the influence of roman art through the celts trading with the romans eg - Boa island, the tandragee idol). Chrisitanity brought a much greater use of imagery representing the human and animal figures such as seen in the manuscripts and in the high crosses.

The Irish love of abstract decoration as seen inthe prechristian era from newgrange through to bronze age and La Tene contined also in the christian era , but it became more sophisticated, detailed and complex as seen in the manuscripts, the highcrosses and the metalwork such as the cross of cong, the bellshrine of st patrick ...and so on.

Dead sound. Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sallyod

I am extremely confused as to what to do it the third question for my art parer. I have studied the art gallery question in detail but have done nothing else.

I am aware of past exam questions on film studies, and we completed film studies in English class as part of our comparative studies. As a result I am quite familiar with the movin the kings speech. However, Is the kings speech a suitable film to use in an art answer? It would certainly save me time if so..

Any help would be really appreciated, thank you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why not just do the gallery question, if you have prepared for it?

That is my first choice but I would feel a lot more confident having an option, and it is not a guaranteed question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dairenichat

, Would any one have an A standard gallery question? I'm really at a loss as I had to go to a gallery myself and I don't have enough material. I'm the only person in my class doing art and I'm so worried!

Please and thank you! Any help at all appreciated!

, Would any one have an A standard gallery question? I'm really at a loss as I had to go to a gallery myself and I don't have enough material. I'm the only person in my class doing art and I'm so worried!

Please and thank you! Any help at all appreciated!

I have put up notes on my website on the Hugh Lane Galley. You may find them to be of some help http://arthistoryleavingcert.com/hugh-lane-gallery/
    sallyod wrote: »
    Is the kings speech a suitable film to use in an art answer? It would certainly save me time if so..

Any help would be really appreciated, thank you.
    Be careful because they usually ask about visual effects/ special effects and sometimes ask about an animated film.

sallyod wrote: »
    That is my first choice but I would feel a lot more confident having an option, and it is not a guaranteed question.

Nothing is ever guaranteed when it comes to the exams - saying that I cant remember when a gallery visit question has not come up!:)

Red Hare wrote: »
    Be careful because they usually ask about visual effects/ special effects and sometimes ask about an animated film.

Nothing is ever guaranteed when it comes to the exams - saying that I cant remember when a gallery visit question has not come up!:)

I think I'll review marking schemes etc. , thanks for the help though 😊

anyone know how detailed the sketches have to be?

Peg14 wrote: »
    anyone know how detailed the sketches have to be?

Not very detailed, just as long as you have the shapes and all correct. Our teacher used to emphasise the importance of good sketches big times but then I was talking to a girl who got an A in Art and she said hers were rushed outlines and I got almost full marks for them in the mocks and they were final few minutes scribbles :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 farmermaccey

does anyone know what to study for the irish section and europena section. i am completely lost

Ok thanks, not too worried now! Hate when we're told to spend 10 minutes on sketches, in the end they're not even worth that much, like you could get easily 5/10 for one in one minute.

For european section - I'm studying international gothic style painting, early renaissance, and da vinci, briefly looking over Michelangelo. Then for Irish I'm focusing on Georgian but will briefly know the Iron Age too just in case. Could be risky but i'll think i'll be fine, unless i'm told to talk about a house i've never even heard of!

Not gonna lie, after reading the report on predictabilty on the examinations website, I'm a little bit scared for art.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭poster2525

Any ideas for what may come up for Art History? I've already learn't an essay on the Gallery Visit.

yeah art is one of those exams where I have no clue whether I'll be alright or not but I guess if you can answer a question from every other year you should be fine.

I think people are thinking Da Vinci/ Raphael? Then Russborough House or Bellamont Forest seeing as they've been in the news recent enough. Then the Iron Age. Masaccio as well.

Or Van Eyck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 samg1813

OK so I'm kind of starting to panic for art history.... If I only study Gothic and Romanesque for European art will I be covered?? and just a gallery visit for the appreciation section? I'm okay for Irish art but I just don't even know where to start for European

• Registered Users Posts: 12 yasminesue

is anyone doing impressionism here. do u know if you have to do 20th century art movement like fauvism all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 catherineb3

I'm really stuck for the European section, does anybody have a set of notes on the Romanesque style? like a general essay or anything would help me loads, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'm really stuck for the European section, does anybody have a set of notes on the Romanesque style? like a general essay or anything would help me loads, thanks!

Red Hare has some great notes for most popular styles and periods:

http://arthistoryleavingcert.com/romanesque/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement