Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! ART 2015 - predictions, guesses and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dairenichat

Any of you who have studied Raphael in school, could you tell me which paintings you studied? And what aspects of his work you focused on ?

Is it better to study a local art gallery than say the Hugh Lane? That way you could make up floor plans/ where spot lighting is ect..and the examiner wouldn't know...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

Any of you who have studied Raphael in school, could you tell me which paintings you studied? And what aspects of his work you focused on ?

Is it better to study a local art gallery than say the Hugh Lane? That way you could make up floor plans/ where spot lighting is ect..and the examiner wouldn't know...

Well you should just in a case a small-scale gallery exhibition and be able to contrast that with a larger exhibition you visited. I think it has come up before to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Never assume that the examiner hasn't visited your local art gallery on her way up to visit her Auntie Biddy in hospital.

Adding a spotlight or two is unlikely to cause too many problems, but raving about the modern facilities and the interactive AV guiding equipment when in reality it's an old converted courthouse with limited accessibility and a photocopied exhibition guide may not be wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Shanmcg97

samg1813 wrote: »
    OK so I'm kind of starting to panic for art history.... If I only study Gothic and Romanesque for European art will I be covered?? and just a gallery visit for the appreciation section? I'm okay for Irish art but I just don't even know where to start for European

My art teacher just went over gothic and romenesque with us for European and that was all and she said that it has come up every year since she did her leaving so I'd say your alright like she's covered nothing else with us on european but Roman/gothic

Should I be worried if my teacher has just done Iron/bronze/Stone Age and newgrange for Irish and romesque and gothic for European like i see a lot of people talking about galleries and other stuff on this and I literally have no clue what they're on about. Will I be covered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Shanmcg97 wrote: »
    Should I be worried if my teacher has just done Iron/bronze/Stone Age and newgrange for Irish and romesque and gothic for European like i see a lot of people talking about galleries and other stuff on this and I literally have no clue what they're on about. Will I be covered?

As far back as I can remember ( an thats a long time) there has always been at least one question on prechristian Ireland ( Stone/ bronze / Iron Ages). Also in the European section there always been either a Romanesque/ Gothic question.

Saying that - studying just those topics is cutting the curriculum down to the very bare bones and not giving you much of a choice. You should be covered but what if the questions on those topics are difficult ?- try to study more topics if you can. :)

On the topic of galleries - this comes up under section 3 - there is usually a question on a visit to a gallery or museum. If you haven't visited a gallery/,museum don't panic - there are lots of other questions of a general art knowledge nature in section 3.

Red Hare wrote: »
    As far back as I can remember ( an thats a long time) there has always been at least one question on prechristian Ireland ( Stone/ bronze / Iron Ages). Also in the European section there always been either a Romanesque/ Gothic question.

Saying that - studying just those topics is cutting the curriculum down to the very bare bones and not giving you much of a choice. You should be covered but what if the questions on those topics are difficult ?- try to study more topics if you can. :)

On the topic of galleries - this comes up under section 3 - there is usually a question on a visit to a gallery or museum. If you haven't visited a gallery/,museum don't panic - there are lots of other questions of a general art knowledge nature in section 3.

Okay thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PoleDaBoy

Hi, can anyone give me hints how much would I write in my LC paper?
    Just want to make sure that I'll get enough points, thanks. :)

3.5 pages per essay I would say! It will depend obviously on time, what comes up, but for every essay I would say this in order for you to develop your answers, expand etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭millgate1

Hey, does anyone know if it's too late to drop in Art? Long story short, I messed up my craft bad and I'm only capable of a C3 or C2 in Art history so I don't want to risk failing. Thing is I have higher level stickers put onto my craft / drawings.

Would anyone know, if it's possible firstly and if so, can I just drop on the day or must I send a heads up a day before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Leanne713

Can we actually try and predict things that are gonna come up? For pre Christian Ireland I'm hoping for Iron Age and broighter collar to come up cause it hasn't Been up in 3 years! Hoping for romenesque architecture for European :P
    PoleDaBoy wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone give me hints how much would I write in my LC paper?
    Just want to make sure that I'll get enough points, thanks. :)

I tend to write like 6 or 7 pages per questions and that's including as many diagrams as you can do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 k88

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered..
    Quick question for Irish Art, in class we've covered Stone Age, Bronze Age, Iron Age, Manuscripts, Metalwork and High Crosses. I absolutely despise High Crosses and I'm wondering if I'll still get a question on the paper without studying them?

I don't think they've come up on their own but is there a chance they could? Kinda need a B1/A2 in art for points so..

I studied Madonna Della Sedia, Small Cowper Madonna, Portrait of Leo X, School Of Athens and Madonna and the Gold Finch. I think a big aspect of Raphael's work is how he can portray the religious character's personalities through his painting..But other than that his paintings are hard to all clump together apart from his religious theme, and apart from the 3 Madonnas which in my opinion are all nearly too alike to answer a nice comparison question.

k88 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been asked/answered..
    Quick question for Irish Art, in class we've covered Stone Age, Bronze Age, Iron Age, Manuscripts, Metalwork and High Crosses. I absolutely despise High Crosses and I'm wondering if I'll still get a question on the paper without studying them?

I don't think they've come up on their own but is there a chance they could? Kinda need a B1/A2 in art for points so..

Well what we have done in art is stone, bronze and iron from Irish section!
    Romanesque gothic something on printed manuscripts stained glass and Giotto and cimabue
    And then the museum question! Realistically stone bronze Iron Age Come up every year so ul defo be covered with just them cause we are! As long as u know them inside out ul be fine, and Romanesque and gothic come up every year too so u will be fine! Stop stressing:*

Leanne713 wrote: »
    Well what we have done in art is stone, bronze and iron from Irish section!
    Romanesque gothic something on printed manuscripts stained glass and Giotto and cimabue
    And then the museum question! Realistically stone bronze Iron Age Come up every year so ul defo be covered with just them cause we are! As long as u know them inside out ul be fine, and Romanesque and gothic come up every year too so u will be fine! Stop stressing:*

Thanks girl! I asked my teacher if i could leave out crosses and she told me it was essential to study all of it...Ugh stress of her. And we've covered so many european artists..Cimabue, Giotto, Masaccio, Uccello, Botticelli, Piero della Francesca, Donatello, da Vinci, Michelangelo, Raphael and Jan Van Eyck....Starting to think she went a little over board from reading what people on here have studied!

k88 wrote: »
    Thanks girl! I asked my teacher if i could leave out crosses and she told me it was essential to study all of it...Ugh stress of her. And we've covered so many european artists..Cimabue, Giotto, Masaccio, Uccello, Botticelli, Piero della Francesca, Donatello, da Vinci, Michelangelo, Raphael and Jan Van Eyck....Starting to think she went a little over board from reading what people on here have studied!
    Well if u don't like it I wouldn't bother as long as you know the others ul be fine :) well ya see we only properally done Romanesque and gothic! We only did rest as backup if the questions hard! Our teacher didn't wanna do the artists because it's so unpredictable and u would have to do loads! Ya see we only got this new teacher at start of LC our other one was useless and we done no history so we had to cram in one year

Will they ask to describe a georgian house without giving a picture? Like "describe Parliament house" I'm not talking about when they give you a choice but a straight out question like that. Will they give you the picture? I'm worreid they'll ask me to discuss a house I've never heard of. I'm pretty covered with Cassels, Pearce, Chambers and Gandon, and then a townhouse by Robert West

Peg14 wrote: »
    Will they ask to describe a georgian house without giving a picture? Like "describe Parliament house" I'm not talking about when they give you a choice but a straight out question like that. Will they give you the picture? I'm worreid they'll ask me to discuss a house I've never heard of. I'm pretty covered with Cassels, Pearce, Chambers and Gandon, and then a townhouse by Robert West

Look at past questions and see how it's normally asked

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fosterr48

Reading through here, everybody has done so much with Art History and it's actually so terrifying. My teacher didn't teach us any of these Stone Age or Bronze Age stuff or anything about all these Pre-Christian stuff or High Crosses. She didn't teach us any of the movements for European art either..

All she did throughout 5th and 6th year was make us write essays on different artists? So all we've done in total is Picasso, Degas, Seurat, Gauguin, Tony O'Malley, and Jack B. Yeats. She just said to revise those few artists that we've done and we have more than enough.

Any last minute tips for me? Really not sure what to do now....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 EmilyJane2812

Section 1:
    Iron Question is due up on its own
    • possibly could be asked how it affected later periods so compare objects to se metalwork. So Id learn the Tara broach and Ardagh Chalice to be safe
    • the development of stone-carving in pre-Christian is also due. Which means newgrange stone work and the turoe stone from the Bronze Age.
    •Know the Bronze Age too to be safe

Section 2:
    Romanesque architecture and sculpture is due
    •know gothic as you could be asked to compare
    •stain glass could make an appearance but I doubt it.

Section 3:
    •make it up when you go in there

Good luck guys. Remember this is only 37.5%, youve more than likely passed already!

how do you simplify drawing a painting?

• Advertisement

fosterr48 wrote: »
    Reading through here, everybody has done so much with Art History and it's actually so terrifying. My teacher didn't teach us any of these Stone Age or Bronze Age stuff or anything about all these Pre-Christian stuff or High Crosses. She didn't teach us any of the movements for European art either..

All she did throughout 5th and 6th year was make us write essays on different artists? So all we've done in total is Picasso, Degas, Seurat, Gauguin, Tony O'Malley, and Jack B. Yeats. She just said to revise those few artists that we've done and we have more than enough.

Any last minute tips for me? Really not sure what to do now....

Don't be scared because there's loads of different sections you can do in art, we don't have to do all of them..It's just most people tend to do Early Art (bronze/iron) and then Renaissance art or the architecture one. For Irish art history if you're panicking, I'd recommend the Bronze/Iron age personally as they're the easiest and most likely to come up!

Peg14 wrote: »
    how do you simplify drawing a painting?

I like using different sizes of inky black pens and kinda drawing it roughly to show what you've mentioned..A bit of tone and shadow can make any drawing look better! I'm planning not to spend more than a couple of minutes on each because I'll be very rushed for time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sushua

Would it be really risky to only learn Van Eycke for european? He's due to come up but if he didn't i'd be screwed

sushua wrote: »
    Would it be really risky to only learn Van Eycke for european? He's due to come up but if he didn't i'd be screwed

I'd give Raphael and Piero Della Francesca a quick look over just in case if you've done them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

sushua wrote: »
    I think you've answered your own question, don't you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ronnocomloc

Does anyone have predictions for art history ...need to cram and our teacher has done nothing with us

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JimLarkin101

My art history teacher covered, chimabue, giotto , massaccio and uccello, da vinci and Michelangelo for the European Section.. She said one of these always comes up! Looking through some exam papers, that doesn't seem to be the case! And no one has predicted these artists for this years exam! What do you suggest I learn tonight?
    (we haven'T touched on Architecture so I wouldn't even know how to go about that)
    Also she told us two and a half pages of writing and sketches is fine?! People here are saying 7!?
    Do you guys add in personal thoughts/interpretations of a piece?
    Sorry for my panic , just I really need an A1 in art. My practical went really well- it'd be such a shame to screw it up now!
    Maybe someone could post a sample essay ? If you have the time of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 almond88

Is it easy enough to pass the art history by writing one or two pages for each question? think I have enough points acquired for my course and I just want to pass this but haven't really looked at art history a lot

My art history teacher covered, chimabue, giotto , massaccio and uccello, da vinci and Michelangelo for the European Section.. She said one of these always comes up! Looking through some exam papers, that doesn't seem to be the case! And no one has predicted these artists for this years exam! What do you suggest I learn tonight?
    (we haven'T touched on Architecture so I wouldn't even know how to go about that)
    Also she told us two and a half pages of writing and sketches is fine?! People here are saying 7!?
    Sorry for my panic , just I really need an A1 in art. My practical went really well- it'd be such a shame to screw it up now!

you do not need seven pages at all! Personally I think 4 will do it, for an A essay. Did that in my mocks and got and A. Ofcourse mocks are marked not the same but definitely you don't need 7 pages, and Da Vinci/ Masaccio are possible of coming up.

• Advertisement

So, to summarise- There's always a renaissance artist on the paper, If one were to study two very well, Who would be the best?

Yikes! I'm predicting Raphael or Piero Della Francesca or Jan Van Eyck but you never know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement