Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reiki

• 26-04-2015 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I was wondering did anyone ever try reiki for their problems and if so did it help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's nothing but quackery however the placebo effect is a powerful thing and as such if you believe in rubbish like reiki or homeopathy in the first place then its possible it might help as a complementary process alongside actual medicine.

If you don't believe in it you'll likely leave feeling a bit silly you just paid someone money to wave their hands over you. Your call really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Although I have never tried either of these treatments I don't think we should label them as quackery. I'm sure a lot of people get great relief from them

lulu1 wrote: »
    Although I have never tried either of these treatments I don't think we should label them as quackery. I'm sure a lot of people get great relief from them

It IS quackery. All it takes is a cursory glance at what they do/offer to see that but as I stated if you believe in it to begin with then placebo effect is a powerful thing and if people get relief from it then they can spend their money whatever way they choose (although for me I still dislike it as it gives an air of legitimacy to something that's just a load of bollox).

The important thing to remember is to never make these your primary source of diagnosis/treatment. Real doctors should always come first. Juujuu practitioners come second...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

A lot of people in Haiti get great relief from the Voodoo Witch Doctor with chicken bones in his hands waving them over his patient while chanting incantations. I bet you wouldn't argue about calling that quakery or superstitious nonsense. Why is 'Ancient Chinese Wisdom' ™ held in such high regard in certain quarters but not 'Ancient African Wisdom'??

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭unreg999

The important thing to remember is to never make these your primary source of diagnosis/treatment. Real doctors should always come first. Juujuu practitioners come second...

I'm wondering how anyone ever was cured or recieved any relief at all more than 200 years ago before the birth of doctors & modern medicine??

Plus you obviously know very little about Reiki (even though you are putting yourself forward as an expert) as you are talking about 'hand waving'... if you actually knew anything about it you would be aware that there is no waving of hands during the procedure...
    There has been a lot of research done on the effects of Reiki (I will post some tomorrow, bit late to go looking now) & many 'real' doctors now accept it (& make referals) as a very beneficial aid to healing & recovery as well as practitioners working in hospitals in many countries! (Not yet Ireland unfortunately!)
    It was fully embraced by the Japanese military as a form of field healing!
    I take it you would say the same about meditation, acupuncture & the like too?

Op i would try it out... i know many people who have had great results from it, myself included! I'm not saying it's for everyone but how will you know unless you try?
    Beats just mindlessly taking a tablet & having to deal with worse side effects! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

unreg999 wrote: »
    I'm wondering how anyone ever was cured or recieved any relief at all more than 200 years ago before the birth of doctors & modern medicine??

more than 200 years ago ?

reiki - only there since 1922 no ?
    Reiki (霊気?, /ˈreɪkiː/) ...... It was developed in 1922 by Japanese Buddhist Mikao Usui.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiki

Plus you obviously know very little about Reiki (even though you are putting yourself forward as an expert)

People died. A lot. I haven't seen Reiki without Borders over in West Africa curing ebola.

gctest50 wrote:
    more than 200 years ago ?

gctest50 wrote:
    reiki - only there since 1922 no ?

I'm not talking only about Reiki but also about all the other healing modalities that you have dismissed out of hand (homeopathy etc) !!

Hands-on energy healing has been used since the dawn of time.. yes Usui Mikao gave it a name & formalised it in the 1920s but it was around & used by millions all over the world long before that. .. he was very specific himself that he hadn't invented or discovered it but found some ways to channel it a bit better & more importantly taught others how to do so... it was always meant for self-healing than anything else & it wasn't till the Japanese Military heard about the results & insisted that he develop ways of using it to heal others that it became more widespread...

People still die... hundreds of thousands of millions... in fact everyone does!

And just cos you can't see any energy healers in Africa doesn't mean they aren't there. ..! Oh and i presume you believe everything you read in the newspapers & see on the news too?!

Calibos wrote: »
    A lot of people in Haiti get great relief from the Voodoo Witch Doctor with chicken bones in his hands waving them over his patient while chanting incantations. I bet you wouldn't argue about calling that quakery or superstitious nonsense. Why is 'Ancient Chinese Wisdom' ™ held in such high regard in certain quarters but not 'Ancient African Wisdom'??

I am not arguing about anything. I just said that these treatments should not be labeled as quackery.
    Have you tried reiki when you can dismiss it so quickly.

It IS quackery. All it takes is a cursory glance at what they do/offer to see that but as I stated if you believe in it to begin with then placebo effect is a powerful thing and if people get relief from it then they can spend their money whatever way they choose (although for me I still dislike it as it gives an air of legitimacy to something that's just a load of bollox).

Did you ever have this treatment or see anyone having it to be able to dismiss it as bollox

• Advertisement

I am not arguing about anything. I just said that these treatments should not be labeled as quackery.
    Have you tried reiki when you can dismiss it so quickly.

It's someone waving their hands over you. ie quackery. If hand waving cured medical illness for real then actual doctors would be out of a job.

It's someone waving their hands over you. ie quackery. If hand waving cured medical illness for real then actual doctors would be out of a job.

As I said before... there is no hand waving... if you actually knew anything about it rather than making random derogatory comments you would know this!!

Again same question

Have you ever had this treatment or see anyone have it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭druidstone

lila1 wrote: »
    I was wondering did anyone ever try reiki for their problems and if so did it help

To those who think Reiki is Quackery: If you don't believe in Reiki, that just means you are not a spiritual person. You most likely wouldn't believe in ghosts either. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you, or with Reiki, or that Reiki is quackery, it just means that Reiki won't work for you and of course it won't work for anyone else who is not spiritual either.

By spiritual, I don't mean believing in God or being devoutly Christian. Myself I don't believe the bible, I am not a Christian, I was never brainwashed by the Church. I actually believe that all religions are cults, designed to control people by exploiting the spiritual world which most certainly does exist, and therefore make lots of money for the Church!

But i've seen and heard ghosts during my life, and I do consider myself a spiritual person. Reiki is very much a spiritual belief, and a person's spiritual beliefs are truly their own and everyone is entitled to be respected for their own beliefs.

Despite what Wikipedia states, Reiki wasn't "invented" by Usui the Japanese dude. (LOL) Reiki was discovered by Usui, when he visited India in 1922.
    There Usui discovered an ancient energy healing method which has existed in India for over 5,000 years, since the Vedic times! It most probably existed elsewhere in the world before then, as it's reported to have existed in ancient Tibet as well.
    Usui simply developed a clever training program and marketed it to the masses. Simply speaking, Usui brought Reiki from India to the Western World and worked out a great way to make money from it.

I know that because while staying in India I met a medical doctor who regularly uses Reiki in his daily work. His colleague who was also present, is an Ear Nose & Throat Surgeon and head of the ENT department in a very large hospital, also uses Reiki regularly in his daily work.

My advice to you would be, yes I've tried Reiki and yes it really works, but only if you are a spiritual person.

There are plenty of scammers in every trade and profession. Reiki is no exception. There are people who become Reiki Practitioners as an easy scam to make money, without correct training. You can't become a Practitioner in one weekend unless you have a rare healing gift. Regular people need six weeks between Reiki Level 1 and Reiki Level 2. And at least 2 years between Reiki Level 2 and Reiki Level 3. Some Reiki Masters insist on 3 years between Reiki 2 and 3.

On finding a practitioner, don't just choose somebody who hasn't been recommended to you by a friend, or who won't offer you a free consultation to answer any questions you might have.

Reiki is a gift from the spiritual world. Only those who truly have the healing gift, who are performing Reiki for the right reasons, can perform Reiki with success. Those who don't truly have the healing gift, or who have become a Reiki practitioner for the money, generally will not have success with Reiki.

Do not choose a Reiki practitioner unless they fully insured to practice Reiki. And a member of a professional therapy association of some kind.
    That at least will ensure some level of credibility with their training & ability if you don't know them.

If you must choose a Reiki practitioner who is not insured or not a member of a professional association, don't choose them unless who know someone who has already been successfully treated by them.

The truth is, everybody should have the power within their own minds to do their own Reiki self-healing. But over thousands of years, that power has been lost as the third eye has been closed and the natural powers of intuition has been lost by most humans.

A Reiki practitioner has received the training, and part of that training their third eye has been opened and activated, another result of this that they have also become more "Psychic". The Reiki treatment simply provides you with a boost of the Universal energy, so that your own body will do the healing. But the boost will only last for 2-3 days, enough for your body to do its own healing. This is usually enough for what the body needs, but in cases of sickness or disease, treatment should be repeated every 3 days in order to give the body a further boost until healing is complete.

A friend of mine was unable to move two fingers as a result of an accident 2 years prior. Doctors told her after she completed a course of Physiotherapy, that nothing further could be done to help her fingers!

I was there when she had just one Reiki treatment of 5 minutes (with a Reiki Master in Cork City) and she could immediately move her fingers again, although just slightly. The poor girl cried with happiness when she saw that her fingers could move again. It was a wonderful moment for her. Each day movement improved. Two weeks after the Reiki treatment, full movement had returned to both fingers permanently. I saw that with my own eyes.

Yes Reiki really does work, including distance healing.
    Only genuine Reiki practitioners can successfully perform Reiki by distant healing.

I hope that answers your questions.
    (Thank-you for reading)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

druidstone wrote: »
    To those who think Reiki is Quackery: If you don't believe in Reiki, that just means you are not a spiritual person. You most likely wouldn't believe in ghosts either. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you, or with Reiki, or that Reiki is quackery, it just means that Reiki won't work for you and of course it won't work for anyone else who is not spiritual either.

By spiritual, I don't mean believing in God or being devoutly Christian. Myself I don't believe the bible, I am not a Christian, I was never brainwashed by the Church. I actually believe that all religions are cults, designed to control people by exploiting the spiritual world which most certainly does exist, and therefore make lots of money for the Church!

But i've seen and heard ghosts during my life, and I do consider myself a spiritual person. Reiki is very much a spiritual belief, and a person's spiritual beliefs are truly their own and everyone is entitled to be respected for their own beliefs.

Despite what Wikipedia states, Reiki wasn't "invented" by Usui the Japanese dude. (LOL) Reiki was discovered by Usui, when he visited India in 1922.
    There Usui discovered an ancient energy healing method which has existed in India for over 5,000 years, since the Vedic times! It most probably existed elsewhere in the world before then, as it's reported to have existed in ancient Tibet as well.
    Usui simply developed a clever training program and marketed it to the masses. Simply speaking, Usui brought Reiki from India to the Western World and worked out a great way to make money from it.

I know that because while staying in India I met a medical doctor who regularly uses Reiki in his daily work. His colleague who was also present, is an Ear Nose & Throat Surgeon and head of the ENT department in a very large hospital, also uses Reiki regularly in his daily work.

My advice to you would be, yes I've tried Reiki and yes it really works, but only if you are a spiritual person.

There are plenty of scammers in every trade and profession. Reiki is no exception. There are people who become Reiki Practitioners as an easy scam to make money, without correct training. You can't become a Practitioner in one weekend unless you have a rare healing gift. Regular people need six weeks between Reiki Level 1 and Reiki Level 2. And at least 2 years between Reiki Level 2 and Reiki Level 3. Some Reiki Masters insist on 3 years between Reiki 2 and 3.

On finding a practitioner, don't just choose somebody who hasn't been recommended to you by a friend, or who won't offer you a free consultation to answer any questions you might have.

Reiki is a gift from the spiritual world. Only those who truly have the healing gift, who are performing Reiki for the right reasons, can perform Reiki with success. Those who don't truly have the healing gift, or who have become a Reiki practitioner for the money, generally will not have success with Reiki.

Do not choose a Reiki practitioner unless they fully insured to practice Reiki. And a member of a professional therapy association of some kind.
    That at least will ensure some level of credibility with their training & ability if you don't know them.

If you must choose a Reiki practitioner who is not insured or not a member of a professional association, don't choose them unless who know someone who has already been successfully treated by them.

The truth is, everybody should have the power within their own minds to do their own Reiki self-healing. But over thousands of years, that power has been lost as the third eye has been closed and the natural powers of intuition has been lost by most humans.

A Reiki practitioner has received the training, and part of that training their third eye has been opened and activated, another result of this that they have also become more "Psychic". The Reiki treatment simply provides you with a boost of the Universal energy, so that your own body will do the healing. But the boost will only last for 2-3 days, enough for your body to do its own healing. This is usually enough for what the body needs, but in cases of sickness or disease, treatment should be repeated every 3 days in order to give the body a further boost until healing is complete.

A friend of mine was unable to move two fingers as a result of an accident 2 years prior. Doctors told her after she completed a course of Physiotherapy, that nothing further could be done to help her fingers!

I was there when she had just one Reiki treatment of 5 minutes (with a Reiki Master in Cork City) and she could immediately move her fingers again, although just slightly. The poor girl cried with happiness when she saw that her fingers could move again. It was a wonderful moment for her. Each day movement improved. Two weeks after the Reiki treatment, full movement had returned to both fingers permanently. I saw that with my own eyes.

Yes Reiki really does work, including distance healing.
    Only genuine Reiki practitioners can successfully perform Reiki by distant healing.

I hope that answers your questions.
    (Thank-you for reading)

Well done ! That's the biggest load of bollox I've read in a long time.

druidstone wrote: »
    Stuff

Hypothetical question for you there Druidstone. If you knew someone who truly believed that reiki worked would you be happy to recommend they completely forgo modern medicine and treat cancer with only reiki?

druidstone wrote:

I totally disagree with most of this.. Not going to quote the whole post though!

Reiki will work for you whether you believe in it or not or whether you are a spiritual person or not!!
    I've seen it happen many many times!! That's like saying that electricity will only work for you if you believe in it!!

I do however agree with finding a good & reputable practitioner.. That's good advice at least!

Hypothetical question for you there Druidstone. If you knew someone who truly believed that reiki worked would you be happy to recommend they completely forgo modern medicine and treat cancer with only reiki?

I would never recommend someone to forgo medical treatment... I am not a doctor, I do not diagnose, prescribe or give medical advice!
    Reiki is intended as a complementary mode of healing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

...That's like saying that electricity will only work for you if you believe in it!!...

There is a difference. Electricity exists. So of course it works no matter whether you believe in it or not.
    On the other hand, a magical healing force that heals people because some quack waved their hands in a specific way DOES NOT EXIST. So, it never works. EVER. In cases where people think it works, what is actually working is either pure dumb luck or the placebo effect.
    The placebo effect DOES exist, and the extent of its effect is affected by how strongly a person believes that the intervention is going to work.
    Strong belief = strong placebo effect.

/ thread.

I would never recommend someone to forgo medical treatment... I am not a doctor, I do not diagnose, prescribe or give medical advice!
    Reiki is intended as a complementary mode of healing

I asked a hypothetical question..

Reiki either works or it doesn't. If it does then why is modern medicine also required? Can reiki cure ANY normally terminal disease without the intervention of modern medicine or does it only work for people with bad backs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

If people wish to believe that reiki works due to a placebo effect, that's fine, no issue at all with that. But if they insist that reiki can cure illnesses and is a complementary medicine, then no, that is incorrect.
    Go to your GP,tell him your issues, if he's unable to cure you, does he send you to a specialist.. Or a reiki practioner?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭lila1

When I started this thread I just asked did anyone try this treatment and how the found it ie if they found it helped or was it a waste of time

There is no way that I am expecting it to cure me but just give me a bit of a bit of relief from my symptoms

I have spoken to a lady who dose it and she tells me that a person usually needs about 3 sessions

I am still thinking about it

I am not going to continue with this argument... There are thousands of documented cases which show Reiki's effectiveness but you are entitled to your view on things as limited as I think that is.
    It is not magical, no-one ever claimed that it was, if you did any REAL research into it rather than making sweeping generalised statements you might be better equipped to know what you are talking about.
    I'm sending you peace & understanding 

And again... There is NO hand waving...

Reiki either works or it doesn't. If it does then why is modern medicine also required? Can reiki cure ANY normally terminal disease without the intervention of modern medicine or does it only work for people with bad backs?

Not sure where you got the bad backs bit from!
    I know of many people who have had relief from Reiki when 'modern medicine' failed them completely.
    Terminal diseases... Aren't they incurable by definition??!!

Your original question was if someone would RECOMMEND Reiki over modern medicine and I answered that I would not recommend a course of treatment to anyone as I am not a doctor!

Wang King wrote:
    If people wish to believe that reiki works due to a placebo effect, that's fine, no issue at all with that. But if they insist that reiki can cure illnesses and is a complementary medicine, then no, that is incorrect. Go to your GP,tell him your issues, if he's unable to cure you, does he send you to a specialist.. Or a reiki practioner?

I don't know of any Reiki Practitioner who would INSIST that Reiki can cure illnesses or that it is a complimentary medicine... It clearly is NOT a medicine, however it IS a complimentary Therapy!

I also know of many doctors who are very open to Reiki as a complimentary Therapy, I have spoken to many myself, see the benefits of it and have had clients referred to me by them!

Reliance on the Medical Model will only get you so far and in some cases does more damage than it actually cures... Look at Mental Health.. There has been research after research done that taking antidepressants only help in a minority of cases and what actually has profound and lasting effect is attending a Talking Therapy... Yet if you go to the doctor you will be prescribed drugs and maybe (only in the last few years) advised to see a Counsellor or Therapist.

Modern 'medicine' does not have all the answers, 20 years ago Counsellors & Therapists were dismissed at not having any real value either!

lila1 wrote:
    When I started this thread I just asked did anyone try this treatment and how the found it ie if they found it helped or was it a waste of time

lila1 wrote:
    There is no way that I am expecting it to cure me but just give me a bit of a bit of relief from my symptoms

lila1 wrote:
    I have spoken to a lady who dose it and she tells me that a person usually needs about 3 sessions

lila1 wrote:

You should do what you think is right for you Lila... People on here (including myself) don't have the answers... You will get lots of opinions though! :)
    Give it a go & see what you think, best of luck, I really hope you feel better whatever you decide! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

lila1 wrote: »

I went reluctantly to to reiki therapy session a few years ago, I was suffering badly with anxiety and depression and had been to my doctor who wanted to fix the problem with pills. I knew I didn't want that so I thought feck it what's the worst that can happen. I went, and I loved it, I felt like I could breathe for the first time in a long time, and the world just seemed much brighter.

Is it real? I don't know, would I have had the same result had I just laid down in a quiet room and listened to meditative music, maybe. It might be placebo it might not, I don't care, I paid €40 for a treatment and felt like the weight of the world had been lifted off my shoulders, I can't describe how it made me feel, but it opened me up to the idea of meditation and mindfullness and honestly that has changed my life. I'd pay that €40 a hundred times over to have achieved that level of peace of mind.

I wouldn't subscribe to the notion that you need a set amount of treatments for it to work, I've read up on it since my experience and I think it will work or it won't. I think anyone who says oh you need to have 3 or any fixed number is just looking for a guaranteed fee for x number of weeks.

Not sure where you got the bad backs bit from!
    I know of many people who have had relief from Reiki when 'modern medicine' failed them completely.
    Terminal diseases... Aren't they incurable by definition??!!

Your original question was if someone would RECOMMEND Reiki over modern medicine and I answered that I would not recommend a course of treatment to anyone as I am not a doctor!

What exactly is Reiki then? Does it only work in conjunction with modern medicine? Can it cure something like cancer without the intervention of normal modern medicine is exactly the point I was making and you are avoiding..

See this is the thing, you're all happy to say Reiki works until something like cancer comes along. I can guarantee not a single right minded reiki bull**** master will choose to solely wave his/her hands over themselves rather than take chemo. Why is this? because they know that reiki is a load of bollox is why.

Having said all that however having gone through chemo personally I'm of the opinion that if you believe in that stuff and it makes you feel better (and you don't care about any potential expense) then sure, go mad, no skin off my nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Interesting article here

http://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2011/oct/11/placebos-reiki-cancer-patients-harm

It basically says that whilst reiki may bring some comfort (mainly due to placebo effect), it is not as effective as for example simple massage therapy.

Therefore reiki is a waste of resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

What exactly is Reiki then? Does it only work in conjunction with modern medicine? Can it cure something like cancer without the intervention of normal modern medicine is exactly the point I was making and you are avoiding..

I think the principle behind it, is the idea of energy flowing through all living things like chi, and that as we have become more removed from nature that we have lost this balance and reiki is aimed at restoring it. Putting us back in touch with this energy.

My idea of how it works is simillar to meditation in that you become relaxed and focus on a mantra or positive thoughts, and it works on the notion is that putting positivity out there increases the level of positivity in your life. The increased energy flow is supposed to unblock the negativity in your system (for want of a better description) and bring you back to a state of balance

It is not aimed at being a cure for anything directly, my mother availed of it as a treatment in the hospice when she was dying of cancer (she wasn't charged, for it it is part of the range of holistic health services that are offered in the hospice and in cancer treatment centres) and the idea was that reiki brings about balance, and sometimes that balance will seem positive and sometimes it will seem negative, but that it will be the best outcome for individual. In some cases that can be death and for my mother it helped her accept what was coming, and it helped alleviate her fears.

Based on that and my own experience I think it's a lot like meditation with the difference being that the practitioner is doing it on your behalf. I haven't had a treatment since, but I have done some guided meditations on my own with an app on my phone and have found the experience to be quite similar.

I think the principle behind it, is the idea of energy flowing through all living things like chi, and that as we have become more removed from nature that we have lost this balance and reiki is aimed at restoring it. Putting us back in touch with this energy.

My idea of how it works is simillar to meditation in that you become relaxed and focus on a mantra or positive thoughts, and it works on the notion is that putting positivity out there increases the level of positivity in your life. The increased energy flow is supposed to unblock the negativity in your system (for want of a better description) and bring you back to a state of balance

It is not aimed at being a cure for anything directly, my mother availed of it as a treatment in the hospice when she was dying of cancer (she wasn't charged, for it it is part of the range of holistic health services that are offered in the hospice and in cancer treatment centres) and the idea was that reiki brings about balance, and sometimes that balance will seem positive and sometimes it will seem negative, but that it will be the best outcome for individual. In some cases that can be death and for my mother it helped her accept what was coming, and it helped alleviate her fears.

Based on that and my own experience I think it's a lot like meditation with the difference being that the practitioner is doing it on your behalf. I haven't had a treatment since, but I have done some guided meditations on my own with an app on my phone and have found the experience to be quite similar.

Your entire post appears to be made up of seemingly random words whose use in this case bears no relation whatsoever to what those words actually mean. Words like 'energy', 'balance', 'flow'. Then there's the other words, that are completely meaningless. Like 'chi'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 willthatdo

I am an ex reiki master. I was a reiki/seichem master and also was attuned and initiated in other healing modalities, such as the munay ki. I have since given them up and renounced them all. I would strongly advise everyone to avoid reiki. Apart from the fact that modern medicine is better for physical ailments, if you are looking for spiritual healing then reiki is the wrong place to go. It is in fact spiritually dangerous and it is in my opinion taken too lightly. Unfortunately many people only discover this after they go for a treatment or especially in the case after an attunement.

willthatdo wrote: »
    I am an ex reiki master. I was a reiki/seichem master and also was attuned and initiated in other healing modalities, such as the munay ki. I have since given them up and renounced them all. I would strongly advise everyone to avoid reiki. Apart from the fact that modern medicine is better for physical ailments, if you are looking for spiritual healing then reiki is the wrong place to go. It is in fact spiritually dangerous and it is in my opinion taken too lightly. Unfortunately many people only discover this after they go for a treatment or especially in the case after an attunement.

Can I ask what happened to make you give it up? You obviously at some stage believed in it or was it just a way of making money?

Can I ask what happened to make you give it up? You obviously at some stage believed in it or was it just a way of making money?

Well its a long story but to be brief about it, I never actually made money from it. Although a lot of teachers and and fellow students and supposed "masters and psychics" always were encouraging me to set up practice but I could never feel right about taking money from people for it. I got into it because I had a number of "spiritual" experiences and did continue to do so after getting involved. I gave it up because from what I experienced and from what I witnessed, it done more spiritual harm to people that good. Many examples, but one example for now, was witnessing a happy pleasant woman going from joyous to deep depression during an attunement. I know the whole concept of spirits is very debatable (and even a lot of reiki practitioners like to avoid the subject, even though they are specificly calling in spirits by name and by intention every time they channel energy) but lets just say for now that it is true and that there are good and bad, in my conclusion reiki is most certainly connected to dark(evil) spirits just like shamanism.

willthatdo wrote:
    Well its a long story but to be brief about it, I never actually made money from it. Although a lot of teachers and and fellow students and supposed "masters and psychics" always were encouraging me to set up practice but I could never feel right about taking money from people for it. I got into it because I had a number of "spiritual" experiences and did continue to do so after getting involved. I gave it up because from what I experienced and from what I witnessed, it done more spiritual harm to people that good. Many examples, but one example for now, was witnessing a happy pleasant woman going from joyous to deep depression during an attunement. I know the whole concept of spirits is very debatable (and even a lot of reiki practitioners like to avoid the subject, even though they are specificly calling in spirits by name and by intention every time they channel energy) but lets just say for now that it is true and that there are good and bad, in my conclusion reiki is most certainly connected to dark(evil) spirits just like shamanism.

willthatdo wrote:

What a load of crap!! I don't even know where to start with such bs... I am a Shamanic Practitioner as well as a Reiki Master, I use both for self- healing more than anything, I have never made any money from a reiki treatment but found the healing I have experienced myself to be deep and profound... Life- changing without a doubt!

There is no dark connection about either and anyone who says so either is bringing their own 'darkness' into the situation, speaking out of pure ignorance or attempting to spread negative propaganda in an attempt to discredit the whole industry!

Reiki is not a 'Spiritual healing' though sometimes people do ask for guidance from their Spirit Guides or pray before starting.. There is no more 'calling in of spirits' than that of saying a simple prayer asking for guidance!
    Many reiki healers are staunch Catholics and indeed I myself worked with a Catholic Nun who was also a Reiki Healer!

You remind me of that Priest that was in the papers recently that denounced all Reiki and energy healing as being 'from the devil'!! Lol in my opinion it is nothing more than pure ignorance & fear of the unknown/different.
    However as such it is dangerous as it is spreading untruths and possibly allowing fear to become a part of it.

The first thing you learn in Reiki is love and respect for yourself and others, it is a beautiful way to live and is more a meditative practice thanks anything else!

The Reiki Precepts are the foundation that the whole practice is built on:
    Just for today-
    I will let go of anger
    I will let go if worry
    I will do my work diligently
    I will give thanks for my many blessings
    And I will be kind to every living thing

Please tell me where dark or evil spirits have a place in this?

• Advertisement

What a load of crap!! I don't even know where to start with such bs... I am a Shamanic Practitioner as well as a Reiki Master, I use both for self- healing more than anything, I have never made any money from a reiki treatment but found the healing I have experienced myself to be deep and profound... Life- changing without a doubt!

There is no dark connection about either and anyone who says so either is bringing their own 'darkness' into the situation, speaking out of pure ignorance or attempting to spread negative propaganda in an attempt to discredit the whole industry!

Reiki is not a 'Spiritual healing' though sometimes people do ask for guidance from their Spirit Guides or pray before starting.. There is no more 'calling in of spirits' than that of saying a simple prayer asking for guidance!
    Many reiki healers are staunch Catholics and indeed I myself worked with a Catholic Nun who was also a Reiki Healer!

You remind me of that Priest that was in the papers recently that denounced all Reiki and energy healing as being 'from the devil'!! Lol in my opinion it is nothing more than pure ignorance & fear of the unknown/different.
    However as such it is dangerous as it is spreading untruths and possibly allowing fear to become a part of it.

The first thing you learn in Reiki is love and respect for yourself and others, it is a beautiful way to live and is more a meditative practice thanks anything else!

Just for today-
    I will let go of anger
    I will let go if worry

I will not label your view as bull****, because I used to have similar views. Maybe someday you will not label my views as bull**** either. Maybe in the beginning you reached the point of your beliefs by not considering other views to be a load of crap either but by actually considering them.
    How is reiki not a spiritual healing ? it works in the realm of spirit. Every thing about it is in the realm of spirit. If it was in the physical realm there would not be any controversy around it.

How can it be bad or not in line with catholic or christian teaching ? Well for me that is now quite simple, reiki and shamanic beliefs are geared towards the goal of enlightenment, Christian beliefs are geared towards salvation and personal connection with a God who has a personality. Do you know the difference between them ? Reiki and shamanism will teach you that life is an illusion and that you need to become enlightened and you will understand but it is in fact itself an illusion and at the point of enlightenment it is actually complete separation from God. Or almost complete separation.

Although no one likes to admit that there is evil (sure reiki even tries to teach that Hitler was not evil, he just had an over active root chakra and he is now reincarnated learning lessons about abuse of power), lets say that evil does exist. And if it is true, that say maybe the devil is real, and what does he want to do more than anything ? to lead you away from God and make you worship false Gods. Even make you worship the wind and rocks. And he will do that by appearing to be nice. I encourage you to challenge and test the spirits you are working with. But it will all come down to wheter you believe in them or if you believe in Jesus Christ. Reiki teaches that Jesus was just a master, an ascended master. But in that case they would be using the teachings of a fraud. Because, Jesus is either who he said he is or he was a liar. So deny it all you want but that is the choice to make, you either believe him or you don't. And I guess at the moment neither of us can know for sure, maybe we are all wrong but from what I experienced I now firmly believe Jesus was who he says he was.

As for ignorance and the fear of the unknown - I done many attunements and spiritual searching with an open but thankfully cautious mind and as I have already stated, I have done the same things as you so I don't see how you can draw upon the argument of the ignorance and fear of the unknown. Although yes at times there was fear, and in hindsight with good reason. I can understand why you are on the offensive. It costs money to go through reiki and the other teachings and naturally when people have invested in something they are going to defend it. Its kind of ironic how when most people go down the path of reiki etc. it is actually they who close their minds and swear to themselves that they have found the way and are no longer open to the ideas of other possibilities. Why do you think that is ? maybe something to do with killing the ego.

Do you mind if I ask you, what is your goal or reason for doing reiki and shamanism ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

I've got some magic beans for sale if anybody is interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

So let me see if I understand whats going on here. One guy disses Reiki not because he thinks its a bunch of quack woowoo snake-oil nonsense but because he has obviously 'found Jesus' and his new evangelical friends have told him he was meddling in dark demonic forces.

Blows my mind that this is a serious conversation between grown adults. Magic and demons and spirit guides and chakras and auras. Is this 21st Century Ireland or a mud hut in deepest darkest Africa?

Unfortunately it is 21st century Ireland and you have probably noticed that reiki is widespread. I think it is a lot of quack too and it is filled with a lot of ridiculous and immoral teachings. I used the Jesus thing to illustrate how it does not link up with Christianity because it pisses me off when reiki people say it does just so they can suck Christians into it. I don't like bible bashing either but I think if people are thinking of going for a reiki treatment, then they should be aware that it most definitely involves spirits. Wheter or not the person believes in spirits they should at least know that they will be going to someone for a healing who not only believes in spirits but who also calls upon them to assist with the healing.
    It is wrong when unreg999 says "There is no more 'calling in of spirits' than that of saying a simple prayer asking for guidance! " because anyone who practices reiki knows full well that when they learn it they are taught a reiki calling in prayer which not only calls upon one spirit but is an invocation to a whole host of spirits and it is very immoral for anyone doing reiki to state otherwise. If the person receiving reiki is okay with that then fair enough, but they should at least be aware of that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

They weren't. 200 years you say? Interesting that you chose that particular frame, because life expectancies rose in the 1700s. Prior to that the average life expectancy was early to mid thirties. I guess with reiki not appearing until the 20th century, that probably explains it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

I don't know of any Reiki Practitioner who would INSIST that Reiki can cure illnesses or that it is a complimentary medicine... It clearly is NOT a medicine, however it IS a complimentary Therapy!

So if it cannot cure illness, what exactly is complimentary medicine?

Does this mean for example that when you have a eg meningitis and get some penicillin and recover, that the aul bit of reiki in the middle takes some credit for making you better?

Or is it just that you claim it makes you feel better (for want of a better phrase improve your spirits). If it is the latter, then why not skip the mumbo jumbo, and go have a relaxing massage which will have the same effects, without a claim to nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

JohnBee wrote: »
    So if it cannot cure illness, what exactly is complimentary medicine?

Complimentary medicine is the compliment you receive from the quack pretending to heal you when you hand over your money.

... It clearly is NOT a medicine, however it IS a complimentary Therapy!

The word you're looking for is 'complEmentary'.

Still Bull5hit, mind you, but you might at least use the correct bull5hit word for it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭JonJones

See this is the thing, you're all happy to say Reiki works until something like cancer comes along. I can guarantee not a single right minded reiki bull**** master will choose to solely wave his/her hands over themselves rather than take chemo. Why is this? because they know that reiki is a load of bollox is why.

Having said all that however having gone through chemo personally I'm of the opinion that if you believe in that stuff and it makes you feel better (and you don't care about any potential expense) then sure, go mad, no skin off my nose.
    and how many people with cancer can normal modern medicine cure? Does it ever fail?

willthatdo wrote: »
    Unfortunately it is 21st century Ireland and you have probably noticed that reiki is widespread. I think it is a lot of quack too and it is filled with a lot of ridiculous and immoral teachings. I used the Jesus thing to illustrate how it does not link up with Christianity because it pisses me off when reiki people say it does just so they can suck Christians into it. I don't like bible bashing either but I think if people are thinking of going for a reiki treatment, then they should be aware that it most definitely involves spirits. Wheter or not the person believes in spirits they should at least know that they will be going to someone for a healing who not only believes in spirits but who also calls upon them to assist with the healing.
    It is wrong when unreg999 says "There is no more 'calling in of spirits' than that of saying a simple prayer asking for guidance! " because anyone who practices reiki knows full well that when they learn it they are taught a reiki calling in prayer which not only calls upon one spirit but is an invocation to a whole host of spirits and it is very immoral for anyone doing reiki to state otherwise. If the person receiving reiki is okay with that then fair enough, but they should at least be aware of that fact.
    have you learned it? I have and was never told about any calling prayer

JonJones wrote: »
    and how many people with cancer can normal modern medicine cure? Does it ever fail?

Answering a question with a question is not answering the question.

Clearly modern medicine fails at times but the wonderful thing is the ability to show cause and effect through peer review trials. We know x treatment can be effective x% of the time. Can you show the same for reiki?

I'm also chuckling at how we have already had multiple reiki practitioners on this thread and none of them seem to be able to agree as to what it's all about. From distance healing to the requirement of prayers. Strange that......

Survival rates for various cancers are improving, I personally know a few breast cancer survivors.

AND they all used modern medicine. All of them praise their medical doctors etc., haven't heard any saying they were cured by reiki.

HOWEVER...I have attended the funeral of a person who thought reiki and other complimentary medicines were a good idea.

Does modern medicine ever fail? Well of course it does, but it's improving.

Answering a question with a question is not answering the question.

Clearly modern medicine fails at times but the wonderful thing is the ability to show cause and effect through peer review trials. We know x treatment can be effective x% of the time. Can you show the same for reiki?

I'm also chuckling at how we have already had multiple reiki practitioners on this thread and none of them seem to be able to agree as to what it's all about. From distance healing to the requirement of prayers. Strange that......
    I was not answering a question I was asking one

And I am chuckling from your evil spirit nonsense. I trained to level 2 and was not told anything about a pre reiki prayer. a lot of people are con artists especially the type where some beauty parlour type adds reiki to their list of services to make money

That does not mean the reiki is evil. you're full of crap about evil spirits. I know of several people who died from cancer havimng wealth and the best doctors

Just for today-
    I will let go of anger
    I will let go if worry

everyting ther church do not lioke is from the devil. So where did the pervert priests ,and their superiors who covered for them, come from?

Was that the catholic nun from Cork?

I was not answering a question I was asking one

And I am chuckling from your evil spirit nonsense. I trained to level 2 and was not told anything about a pre reiki prayer. a lot of people are con artists especially the type where some beauty parlour type adds reiki to their list of services to make money

That does not mean the reiki is evil. you're full of crap about evil spirits. I know of several people who died from cancer havimng wealth and the best doctors

Level 2.... Sound like a computer game. How much study did level 2 take? I imagine years of training and learning...... I should ask my hematologist what level he is.

I also never mentioned anything about evil spirits. However you reiki practitioners can't seem to make your mind up about it when I read this thread. Just goes to show how wishy washy it is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement