Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bad smell in the air.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It's just a sales event for Microsoft Azure.

Nothing more than than Microsoft finally realising that "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em".

They have a load of Linux images available for use on Azure, this is just adding another one to the list, so they saw an opportunity to jump on the bandwagon to promote Azure.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I can see it becoming a wing of MS if under a different name. The open source server market would be an interesting one if MS were to join in and it wouldn't surprise me with Oracle and Redhat supplying the market in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

..... and those who see nothing to worry about in this must have very short memories ....

Not even 20 pieces of silver, just a few slices of cake ...... nice one MS ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer

Am I missing something? :confused:

I really don't see the issue here. Amazon also offer a large selection of Linux images for their cloud service.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Am I missing something? :confused:

I really don't see the issue here. Amazon also offer a large selection of Linux images for their cloud service.

In one hand they claim to be embracing the open source movement, in the other they are members of the secure boot and uefi cartel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

In one hand they claim to be embracing the open source movement, in the other they are members of the secure boot and uefi cartel
    I dont see what the issue with UEFI is. Secure Boot ok but UEFI seems like a good progression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

But MS are pushing in the direction of allowing manufacturers to not be compelled include the secure boot switch facility - effectively closing hardware to anything other than Windows. Unless, of course, you are willing to pay extra for your hardware to be switchable so it will accept Linux or BSD or whatever else isn't Windows.
    Anti-competitive - you bet, but without dirtying their hands.

excollier wrote: »
    But MS are pushing in the direction of allowing manufacturers to not be compelled include the secure boot switch facility
    Wasn't that a rumour which was backtracked on a week after it was first reported?

No smoke without fire........

• Advertisement

No option to disable it on Arm hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Anti-competitive - you bet, but without dirtying their hands.

but the Debian app for Windows10 runs well, loads .debs really quickly

Maybe they truly believe that they own your hardware.

gctest50 wrote: »
    but the Debian app for Windows10 runs well, loads .debs really quickly
    But what if I don't want Windows in future? I don't have a trace of it now, and don't want it in future.
    Why should MS have the power to make me pay extra for hardware they neither own nor manufacture?
    If others want Windows, fine, but no-one should be penalised for not wanting it.
    Anyway, this cosying up to Debian is more than a little creepy.

This escalated into a rant about Microsoft quickly.

If the cap fits. There's a lot to rant about, but I'll let it rest there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

But what if I don't want Windows in future?............

when the revolution comes we will all drive Mercedes
    what if i don't want to drive a Mercedes

when the revolution comes you won't have a choice etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

There's a lot to rant about, but I'll let it rest there

Good. I'm sick of people ranting about Microsoft as though they are the second coming of Hitler. Grow up and discuss facts, not FUD.

Good. I'm sick of people ranting about Microsoft as though they are the second coming of Hitler. Grow up and discuss facts, not FUD.

That would be nice ....... could we get the same commitment from the MS FUD spreaders?

Is it not reasonable to react to FUD to attempt to correct it?

http://techrights.org/2015/04/27/more-blackmail-and-propaganda/

I don't think I've ever read a tech article that is so hysterical.

It's full of hearsay and hysteria:

Seriously? What's an anti-Android company? Apple?

This kind of hysterical anti-Microsoft drivel does nothing other than reinforce jaded stereotypes of rabid Microsoft haters.

• Advertisement

I don't think I've ever read a tech article that is so hysterical.

It's full of hearsay and hysteria:

Seriously? What's an anti-Android company? Apple?

This kind of hysterical anti-Microsoft drivel does nothing other than reinforce jaded stereotypes of rabid Microsoft haters.

As I pointed out that is what you are going to get when the likes of MS and its supporters/fan-boys refer to other OSs as cancer and other such FUD.

As an aside .... I have no idea how anyone could actually hate an OS ...... seems rather hysterical to use 'hate' in that regard. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

As an aside .... I have no idea how anyone could actually hate an OS ...... seems rather hysterical to use 'hate' in that regard. ;)

Does that mean you also can't love an OS?

syklops wrote: »
    Does that mean you also can't love an OS?

It most definitely does ....... and also means I have no idea how anyone could 'love' any OS.

I wonder if I'd love my Lenovo Yoga even more if it ran Linux.

I love all my Lenovo devices. They run a mixture of android and linux.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I love all my Lenovo devices. They run a mixture of android and linux.

The best Lenovo of all is the one that has had some minor cosmetic work carried out with the use of a hammer!

electronics-smashed-003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭4512

Probly ****e

Itzy wrote: »
    The best Lenovo of all is the one that has had some minor cosmetic work carried out with the use of a hammer!

This should be good.

Why?

This should be good.

Why?

Firstly, I've had two through work and the design of both doesn't exactly appeal to me. Looks a bit too blocky. On the other hand, they perform well, but that's not something that would hook my interest.

I'd rather a top end HP or Alienware Machine, as they both perform very well and look good. The only downside being the price.

• Advertisement

Itzy wrote: »
    Firstly, I've had two through work and the design of both doesn't exactly appeal to me. Looks a bit too blocky. On the other hand, they perform well, but that's not something that would hook my interest.

I'd rather a top end HP or Alienware Machine, as they both perform very well and look good. The only downside being the price.

I was going to take you seriously until you said Alienware, that's just a Dell with go faster stripes. You do realise Lenovo bought the HP ThinkPad division

Advertisement