Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bad smell in the air.....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You do realise Lenovo bought the HP ThinkPad division

Lenovo bought the IBM computer division, including the laptop rights.

Details here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenovo#Mergers_and_acquisitions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Itzy wrote: »
    Firstly, I've had two through work and the design of both doesn't exactly appeal to me. Looks a bit too blocky. On the other hand, they perform well, but that's not something that would hook my interest.

I'd rather a top end HP or Alienware Machine, as they both perform very well and look good. The only downside being the price.

Performing well doesn't hook your interest?

Ok.

I had an Alienware. It was terrible and weighed a ton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Lenovo bought the IBM computer division, including the laptop rights.

Details here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenovo#Mergers_and_acquisitions

I knew that, not sure how I mixed that up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

"Microsoft’s commitment to openness and transparency is ingrained in our day-to-day approach to doing business alongside industry partners, including open source communities. To be successful in a mobile-first, cloud-first world, we need to be open. It’s good for our customers and our business"

I can't stop laughing!!!! :-D

I missed the memo that MS bought words "openness" and "transparency" and changed their meaning!

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I missed the memo that MS bought words "openness" and "transparency" and changed their meaning!

In fairness, the company has done a huge u-turn on so many things since the new guy was appointed last year. Case in point: giving away Windows 10 free when it is released later this year. That would have been unthinkable up to very recently.

Yes, I think history has proven that you take a lot of what Microsoft says with a large pinch of salt when it comes to openness and transparency. However, I do think we are in a period of change for Microsoft as they come to terms with the reality of the modern IT market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    In fairness, the company has done a huge u-turn on so many things since the new guy was appointed last year. Case in point: giving away Windows 10 free when it is released later this year. That would have been unthinkable up to very recently.

Just a corporate strategy to try to calm the angry Win 8 users.
    They have not changed their aims or attitudes.
    Yes, I think history has proven that you take a lot of what Microsoft says with a large pinch of salt when it comes to openness and transparency. However, I do think we are in a period of change for Microsoft as they come to terms with the reality of the modern IT market.

MS are definitely changing their corporate strategy, and even mouthing apparently correct words ....... but so far it has gone no further than that in any significant way.

There is no indication it is anything other than that, and even if it appeared more, one year is not sufficient to wipe out the decades of 'bad behaviour'.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/microsoft-clarifies-who-gets-free-windows-10-114730456889.html

Just a corporate strategy to try to calm the angry Win 8 users.

While I don't want to turn this into a discussion about Microsoft strategy, calming angry Windows 8 users is possibly as far from the reality of the situation as you can get.

What is actually happening is that Microsoft is shifting to a subscription model for as much as they can. They realise that Windows operating system is no longer the cash-cow it once was, the future is in services such as office 365, azure, Xbox and many more besides.

I heard about that guy, but giving closed source software for free is anti-openness in my dictionary. It gives nothing to the open source community, instead it keeps some users that "sit on the fence" of the open source on the ms side. Unfortunately word "free" in English has 2 meanings (I feel like RMS is watching over my shoulder what I'm typing here...), so it's easy to call something a free software even if it has nothing to do with "free like freedom" software.

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I heard about that guy, but giving closed source software for free is anti-openness in my dictionary.

I honestly don't think Microsoft executives stay awake at night worrying that their purely commercial decision to give away Windows 10 is "anti-openess".

I don't think the concept of open source even registers on their radar.

However, trying to spin what they are doing as somehow anti-Linux/anti-open source displays a fundamental misunderstanding of market forces and the direction in which the broader ICT industry is moving. It's a strategic decision based purely on the premise of increasing revenue streams through getting people/companies to pay a smaller monthly/yearly premium rather than buying software outright.

It's pure economics.

"MICROSOFT reportedly threatened to move its research facilities out of the UK if the government went ahead with plans to promote open source standards."

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2409808/microsoft-bullied-mps-over-government-switch-to-open-source-standards

It's hard to belive that changing one guy, even in the key position, could trickle down the ladder and change the way of thinking in the whole company that was built on having monopoly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I hope the horrible, greedy, monopolistic, bullying ballbags clear off and take their proprietary ball home with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I am, and have been, surprised that some group/company/whatever of the Linux community has not forced MS, to either put up or shut up, about multiple patent infringements etc.

It seems obvious that over the years such claims were meant to, and did, do damage to the reputation and acceptance of 'Linux'.

If those were false claims, designed only to harm, there must surely have been a legal means of forcing a closure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

M$ will never really change. They want it all and will resort to any tactics to achieve it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

excollier wrote: »
    M$ will never really change. They want it all and will resort to any tactics to achieve it.

They're a business at the end of the day and not a charitable organisation set up for the betterment of man and the IT world. So anything they do, good or bad wouldn't surprise me.

Advertisement