Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC build turned nightmare

Options
  • 26-04-2015 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

[Insert gif of flare being fired into the sky]

Hi lads,

I am currently attempting my first build. To say I am out of my depth is an understatement.

I thought the process was going to be so much easier. Hours have just flown by with Googling issues and things I am very uncertain of. I watched a good few build guides which seemed comprehensive but when I got down to it I am wondering what screw did he use, which direction should that fan be, etc, etc.

Looking back at yesterday I have to laugh when the CPU cooler literally fell apart in my hand has I was about to place it.

What I have done so far is replacing the front case fans with quieter fans, placed the CPU in its slot on the mobo while sweating like crazy, placed in the ram, mounted the Water cooler and secured it to the mobo.

I am building a gaming/editing rig. i7 4790k with 2 GTX 970 in SLI.

I'd be amazed if this thing even turns on and if it doesn't I haven't a clue what to do then.

It's a shame, I was really excited about building my own PC but that excitement is long gone as the reality sets in lol.

I am regular boards user but I am too embarrassed to use my profile ;)

I am anxious to get the build to a point where I can test if I have or haven't made a balls of the CPU/RAM placement and water cooler. The RAM didn't go easier the first time, and the CPU felt under way too much tension as I was putting the clamp down. I may have over tightened the CPU cooler even though I just hand tightened it. I just don't know.

So many wires lol.

Apologies for the post, just need to vent my frustrations with the build.

[insert positive comment ;)] Lovely weather we are having today, lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

throw up a picture of what you have so far so we can see if you've anything completely arse ways. there's really only one way for everything to fit in so you likely haven't messed anything up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Yeah pics I wanna see this box troll creation :D

When you are using youtube,try looking up your Exact cooler being put in.

Ps games gonna be sweet on that rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PCFlareGun

Yeah pics I wanna see this box troll creation :D

When you are using youtube,try looking up your Exact cooler being put in.

Lol, my battery on my tablet was going low from all the videos I was watching for the installation of parts. Some where surprisingly missing helpful info, even from the company itself

Image of what I have so far. I can't post a link or image.
    imgur(dot)com/ZlYwltm

I am using the Kraken x61 for the CPU cooler.

I couldn't find anythimg on the Nzxt website saying which way the fans should be for intake or exhaust so I just assumed the default recommend fan position on the radiator is exhaust.

I'll take a pic.

imgur(dot)com/VsUzNyd

Noticed one of the water cooler brackets was a little loose so I just turned it very slighty and heard a light click sound.

I hope thats not the CPU cracked from pressure.

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/kO6YzRoH-vs

You might have watched that one already. Just double check.

[install vid]

You might have watched that one already. Just double check.

That one and 2 others. The best one was on their website, a kind of animation of the install.

When is the earliest part of the build process where I can check if I have messed up the CPU/Ram/Cooler install.

I feel if I can at least turn it on and get some CPU readings from the bios or a message that says 'Hey! You ****ed up bro, please try again' :)
    I can move ahead or restart.

PCFlareGun wrote: »
    That one and 2 others. The best one was on their website, a kind of animation of the install.

When is the earliest part of the build process where I can check if I have messed up the CPU/Ram/Cooler install.

I feel if I can at least turn it on and get some CPU readings from the bios or a message that says 'Hey! You ****ed up bro, please try again' :)
    I can move ahead or restart.

Haha chill professor doom.

Just get all your parts in and cables in Neath, attached, double check. Install your windows . If you followed most vids you will be golden pony boy.

I puT alot of parts in hungover, only time I do have free. And I mashed some stuff in with little or no regards. Not recommended. But they are fine. So don't panic.

Haha chill professor doom.

Just get all your parts in and cables in Neath, attached, double check. Install your windows . If you followed most vids you will be golden pony boy.

I puT alot of parts in hungover, only time I do have free. And I mashed some stuff in with little or no regards. Not recommended. But they are fine. So don't panic.

That reassures me, thanks.
    First timer panic for every little sound.

Where I gave up last night was plugging the power lead from the cooler to the motherboard.

I know it's the CPU fan slot which is 4 pin. However I don't know which of the 3 slots I place it into.

For example.

[....]
    Do I plug into the first 3 slots from left to right or do I plug in from right to left leaving 1 slot empty on the left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

You'll only be able to fit it one way. The plug on the fan power lead will have two little lips at each side if its 3 pin and they slide down a plastic thing standing up from the 4 pin fan socket. Hard to explain :D Your pic looks fine to me, just crack on and fire it up and I bet you'll be grand. Also the fans themselves should have arrows on the side of them somewhere to tell you which way the air will flow. They might not though if it's NZXT as my case is made by them and none of those fan's had the arrow's for some reason.

Edit:- like this 5719042f_vbattach82061.jpeg

4pin_connector_001.jpg

How time flies ;)

A mate came over to help with the build so everything is golden now.

I didn't mess up the CPU and water cooler install, phew.

Windows downloading now ;)

The difference it makes having someone experienced watching over and helping the process along is amazing.

I really should have asked someone to guide me through my first build, or did it myself on a more Mickey mouse build ;)

Insert sigh of relief gif.

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Glad it worked out for you. The first time I built a PC it was terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,240 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I remember removing my Athlon processor from the plastic casing and carrying it to the motherboard like I was carrying a newborn baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Oat23 wrote: »
    I remember removing my Athlon processor from the plastic casing and carrying it to the motherboard like I was carrying a newborn baby.

The moment every single newby pc builder ****s its pants.

f4-14.jpg

The moment every single newby pc builder ****s its pants.

LMAO, so I am not alone. I knew there would be tension on it but jaysus.

Advertisement