Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The People's Debate - Rathkeale

• 26-04-2015 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭

Anyone here attending next Wednesday? Has there been an indication of whom is attending in terms of public representatives?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

The blueshirts wont be there. They are boycotting all these debates throughout the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

It's actually on tomorrow night, but won't be broadcast til Wednesday.

On a more serious note, the Collins Fianna Fail dynasty will probably be well represented. TD Niall will more than likely be the leading light, aided and abetted by a sprinkling of cousins who are councillors in city and county.
    I take it there will be another debate for the city constituency at another date too. Heffernan will more than likely represent Labour but they are fairly thin on the ground in Limerick (and hopefully thinner after the next election)
    SF will have the Browne guy that came out of nowhere to win a council seat last year. Good few independents with the usual crossover between the sensible and the headbangers. (one particular headbanger springs to mind)
    Watch out for Emmet O'Brien, a Fianna Fail outcast but now a popular independent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

washman3 wrote: »
    The blueshirts wont be there. They are boycotting all these debates throughout the country.

Not true.
    once the first had been aired FG were satisfied with the process and allowed members to take part

Most have been very well attended by 'blueshirts'

• Advertisement

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Not true.
    once the first had been aired FG were satisfied with the process and allowed members to take part

What were they 'dissatisfied' with in the first place.??

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

washman3 wrote: »
    What were they 'dissatisfied' with in the first place.??

They dislike Vincent Browne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I was planning on heading along to this but unfortunately work got in the way. I hope somebody challenged the heinous Patrick O'Donovan on his anti-choice stance. I'm forced to spoil my ballot in every single general election as the pool of 'politicians' are just so poor in the Rathkeale constituency.

Treepole wrote: »
    They dislike Vincent Browne

Vincent Browne dislikes spin and waffle..;)

Guess we'll find out tomorrow, but any indications on how this went? Word has it the IDP were there... may god have mercy on us all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Not true.

Pretty sure it is only a recent decision by FG to allow their people on the show.
    Maybe Vin B wouldnt give them a list of questions they could script the answers to before the show

http://www.thejournal.ie/fine-gael-labour-vincent-browne-debates-2049563-Apr2015/

Enda Kenny has consistently refused to partake in Vincent Browne's nightly show citing a remark that Vinny made about him many years ago as the main reason. Even when in opposition he refused to appear.
    This of course is total rubbish. The reason Enda will not appear is because his handlers will never allow him anywhere near a live TV debate where he would be subjected to random questions and there's nobody better than Vinny to tear him to shreds. Enda simply cannot function without a script. Any deviation from this and he's completely lost and out of his depth.
    When these TV3 debates were announced the Blueshirts were in a conundrum, either partake and risk being shown up or refuse on the pretention of sympathy with Enda.
    They chose the latter but when the debates began realised that non-participation could be more damaging for the party. So now the line is that its up to individuals to decide if they wish to partake or not.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

This is on TV3 tonight right?

vicwatson wrote: »
    This is on TV3 tonight right?

At 10pm
    It was recorded on Monday night.
    Got no word from it, but Vinny apologised last night to Sinn Fein,
    Apparantly there was a huge crowd and they were 'accidentally' locked out.

Think Patrick O'Donovan performing extremely well here; quite sensible, honest and sincere answers. That man has put in the leg work, because I wouldn't have trusted him to mind an orange 4 years ago. Dan Neville poor. Extremely poor. Niall Collins just wants it over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Whoever votes for Dan Neville should have a serious think before the next election,might do good work in relation to suicide but you would be better off with junior to replace him,he must be the worst speaker in the dail,was at the debate and i thought the best speaker on the night was James Heffernan from Kilfinnane but didn't show him tonight,Quinlivan had a go at Browne after the show as to why they got no air time,Browne told him where to go and he went with tail and all.
    ODonovan did well enough as did Niall Collins,Emmet OBrien wasn't there due to being on honeymoon.Will be close to predict the 3 who get through next year.

I don't think Dan's health is 100%.

What you had there Monday night was to a degree an intimidating environment, and to be honest, it was unnecessary.

I have every respect for a person putting themselves forward for public office, and we absolutely must support robust debate, engagement and accountability. These people's debates are a good tool in that regard. But lads, if we are not going to conduct ourselves maturely then we just make a mockery of the whole thing.

I thought the approach of that lady giving out about the lone parent was disgraceful. Populist jeering. Sabre rattling. And all on what was a very serious issue. Absolutely driven by personal grievance, and not the issues.

And plain and simple lads.... this needs to go out of our politics in Limerick. It's wrong.

Clearly she is feeling the pinch, and she did look visibly under pressure. I felt for her personally. Some level of support does need to find it's way towards this woman. I do hope she gets help.

Potentially she needs to see a doctor, life coach, psychologist or citizens information. What she doesn't need to do is to be trying to sort what is a very personal and complex issue to her in the public domain. It is intensely greedy, it was utterly devoid of any sense of personal responsibility in one meeting the challenges of life. She point blank blamed Patrick O'Donovan and goaded the crowd. I think he gave her a solid enough framework of an answer that she could have engaged with, and he was sincere in what he said, but she didn't engage at all. What in God's name are our TDs to take away from an interaction like that?

I'll be going to the City one anyway, and if there is any more of this bullsh*t going on, I hope to get in on it and challenge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

myshirt wrote: »
    I don't think Dan's health is 100%.

What you had there Monday night was to a degree an intimidating environment, and to be honest, it was unnecessary.

I have every respect for a person putting themselves forward for public office, and we absolutely must support robust debate, engagement and accountability. These people's debates are a good tool in that regard. But lads, if we are not going to conduct ourselves maturely then we just make a mockery of the whole thing.

I thought the approach of that lady giving out about the lone parent was disgraceful. Populist jeering. Sabre rattling. And all on what was a very serious issue. Absolutely driven by personal grievance, and not the issues.

And plain and simple lads.... this needs to go out of our politics in Limerick. It's wrong.

Clearly she is feeling the pinch, and she did look visibly under pressure. I felt for her personally. Some level of support does need to find it's way towards this woman. I do hope she gets help.

Potentially she needs to see a doctor, life coach, psychologist or citizens information. What she doesn't need to do is to be trying to sort what is a very personal and complex issue to her in the public domain. It is intensely greedy, it was utterly devoid of any sense of personal responsibility in one meeting the challenges of life. She point blank blamed Patrick O'Donovan and goaded the crowd. I think he gave her a solid enough framework of an answer that she could have engaged with, and he was sincere in what he said, but she didn't engage at all. What in God's name are our TDs to take away from an interaction like that?

I'll be going to the City one anyway, and if there is any more of this bullsh*t going on, I hope to get in on it and challenge it.

I didn't see the show but that is an excellent and sensible post from what I can make out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

myshirt wrote: »
    Absolutely driven by personal grievance, and not the issues.

What is politics if not people voting based on their own personal preferences and grievances. Give me her any day over the hot air and smooth talk from Patrick O'Donovan and the likes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Crikey just watched some of that debate back on the player and I had to turn it off.

The peoples debate? No, more like the peoples abuse!

It just came across as everyone, Vinny B included, having a go at the politicians on anything and everything

• Advertisement
Advertisement