Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Team of the Year

• 26-04-2015 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

CDg4AIjW8AAZIo3.jpg

Cahill and Coutinho shouldnt be anywhere near it but couldnt argue with the rest of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Fully deserved for Coutinho imo. Easy to be fooled by stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Raf32 wrote: »

Cahill and Coutinho shouldnt be anywhere near it but couldnt argue with the rest of it.

100% agreed on the above.

The rest is pretty spot on, Aguero could have featured too IMO.

Id have Cesc over Couthino anyday and Fonte over Cahill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Fabregas should be in ahead of Coutinho, easily. Cazorla was better than him too. Not sure about Cahill getting in either

Forgot about Cazorla whos been very good from CM to this year actually.

Cahill is the bigger issue IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

First time Terry has made it for a while, fully deserved this season I think. Would query Cahill getting in, a good strong end to his season but very average otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Fonte for Cahill

Eriksen/Cazorla/Fabregas over Coutinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Cahill getting in is ridiculous.

Cahill has done a lot better since the roasting Kane gave him on New Years day but he shouldnt be in the team IMO.

I'd imagine most chelsea fans will say the same, JT has carried that back line a lot this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Cahill and Coutinho the wrong inclusions tbh

I don't want to turn this into another Coutinho bashing thread like the last one but Eriksen was a lot better this season imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Cahill and Coutinho are just bizarre inclusions - bizarre and wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Fonte for Cahill
    Fabregas or Cazorla for Coutinho

Then you could quibble over Courtois/De Gea and Aguero/Costa but not much in it for those positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then Utd get one place and its the keeper.

Is there a bench? That might be where Falcao, Di Maria, Herrera, Daley Blind, Marcos Rojo and Luke Shaw are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Is there a bench? That might be where Falcao, Di Maria, Herrera, Daley Blind, Marcos Rojo and Luke Shaw are.

Why did ya come in with an anti united post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

What? :confused:

I'd actually have Azpilicueta over Bertrand too, the man is amazingly good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Coutinho is a super little player. Maybe shouldn't have got in but not that far away as people are saying. If you watched him every week you would understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Liverpool only have 1 as well and it's dodgy???

Hes a pool fan. They do that occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Agreed with the consensus here, Cahill and Coutinho the 2 that shouldn't be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

I would have had Schneiderlin and Fabregas instead of Matic and Coutinho.
    Cahill is a strange inclusion.

Fonte for Cahill
    Fabregas or Cazorla for Coutinho

Then you could quibble over Courtois/De Gea and Aguero/Costa but not much in it for those positions.

Aguero/Costa is close but i think de hea has won utd more points than courtois has for chelsea, so he probably deserves the nod on goal, just.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Coutinho would be a shoe in for a young team of the year but he's simply been miles behind a couple of other, more established players.

His all round game is breathtaking but he's not quite there in terms of output.

Weren't you on the wind up all day yesterday. Your in no position to talk.

This is the reason Coutinho is included

the obsession with stats is why alot are againt his inclusion.Players who have played against him im sure were hugely impressed by him.Also he easily outperformed Fabregas in the 2 legs in January.
    Along with Hazard & Sanchez he is the most entertaining footballer in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Coutinho is class!

Also should Mignolet been in instead of De Gea? He has more clean sheets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

niallo27 wrote: »
    Weren't you on the wind up all day yesterday. Your in no position to talk.

by asking would Liverpool take a draw away from a home against a well drilling Pulis team? Im not gonna drag this thread off topic.

MD1990 wrote: »
    This is the reason Coutinho is included

the obsession with stats is why alot are againt his inclusion.Players who have played against him im sure were hugely impressed by him.Also he easily outperformed Fabregas in the 2 legs in January.
    Along with Hazard & Sanchez he is the most entertaining footballer in the PL.

Ah here lad theres a youtube vid of Bebe that makes him look great. Vids arent worth a damn. Hes very very good but theres better than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

kfallon wrote: »
    Coutinho is class!
    He is very good bit far from "Class" at this stage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Didn't you just say it's easy to be fooled by stats?

• Advertisement

You just said stats dont matter. Pool fans hated Mig and he was woeful early in season and got dropped for Jones so no. Courtois would be the alternative

by asking would Liverpool take a draw away from a home against a well drilling Pulis team? Im not gonna drag this thread off topic.

Your right we wont but you know yourself kid.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Coutinho has had a couple of undeniably good moments this season but that's all, just moments.

I'd have put a number of Liverpool players in ahead of him tbh.

Cahill is a farce. It can only be because he's English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Coutinho has had a couple of undeniably good moments this season but that's all, just moments.

Such as? :confused:

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Didn't you just say it's easy to be fooled by stats?
    You just said stats dont matter. Pool fans hated Mig and he was woeful early in season and got dropped for Jones so no. Courtois would be the alternative
    Yeah that shows u how stats can fool you. I was that as an example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

the obsession with stats is why alot are againt his inclusion.

Horsesh1t. Goals and assists win games and the best players produce them consistently. Until Coutinho can do this, he can't be considered top class.

• Advertisement

Horsesh1t. Goals and assists win games and the best players produce them consistently. Until Coutinho can do this, he can't be considered top class.
    Luka Modric & Iniesta are only average so ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

Probably the same reason why Steven Gerrard has been in 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Courtois should probably be in goal and I'd have aguero instead of Costa

No problem with borderline calls like coutinho and Cahill because I don't think they are in instead of anyone outstanding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I wouldn't argue Coutinho's inclusion too much, most of the others mentioned who might replace him have had their bad spells too, much of a muchness.

Cahill is a surprising inclusion and Matic, while a brilliant player, hasn't been all that impressive since early on but there's nobody else to challenge him for it.

My thoughts on the PFA team of the year:

Goalkeeper: De Gea.

United wouldn't be as high up in the table without him, he's had a purple patch but has come back down to a more normal standard of late. Courtois has been an 8/10 all season long, but de Gea has had more exceptional performances which make him pip it. Fabianski has been exceptional as well. But I agree with this decision.

LB: Bertrand

Yep, he's had a stellar season, you look at all the other sides, Glen Johnson, no, Shaw, injured all season, Azpi, consistent but not excellent, City? I don't even think Pellegrini rate their left side and Gibbs isn't great. Danny Rose can't defend. Baines has also been piss poor.

RB: Ivanovic.

Scored goals, has been terrible defensively for large parts of the season. There really is a dearth of talent in the league, Coleman has been quiet, Zabaleta has been too. Valencia is muck, and Bellerin has been excellent as a stand in but not better than Ivanovic.

CB: Terry / Cahill

Terry yes, Cahill arguable. Cahill has been left very exposed by Ivanovic all season long, still think he's a very good defender but not the 2nd best in the league this season. Smalling, Fonte and Koscielny could all take his place.

LM: Hazard

Best player in the league. Tadic probably be second for me.

RM: Sanchez

Yep. Sterling has been a close second though. Has carried Liverpool without any other attacking threat for long periods this season.

CM: Coutinho/Matic

Neither for me, Coutinho as a creative player has been overshadowed by players like Fabregas, Cazorla, Eriksen and Mata.

As for Matic, he's been very good, but the red card was very silly. I know Jedinak/Schneiderlein both have one also, but both have had very good seasons also. Coquelin on a half season has also looked stellar and could be in with a shout next season. I'd personally go with Fabregas and Schneiderlein.

CF: Kane/Costa

Hard to argue, Kane has been a player people have written off all season long, but considering he wasn't even a starter he's done so well. He'd have to be in the team.

As for Costa, really its a flip of a coin on who deserves it more, him or Aguero.

Nominal mentions:
    Rooney, Henderson, Silva, Austin, Beharinho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'd have silva in there and I think Valencia had as good a season as Ivanovic at RB As did Clyne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Countinho stats are actually better then he has been I think. He goes missing for weeks and weeks and then has a flurry in a couple of games. Even in games where he scores / assists he can be missing for most of the game. Joke that he is in there.

Cahill I dunno what they were thinking

Would Matic have the best stats. Costa shouldn't be in the side either if it was on stats.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Courtois should probably be in goal and I'd have aguero instead of Costa

No problem with borderline calls like coutinho and Cahill because I don't think they are in instead of anyone outstanding

De Gea is a shoe-in. If Chelsea were worse and Courtois had to drag them through half a season then he could be considered. Whether he is better or not is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

They're CMS, might be fairer if you'd compare him to other attacking midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

is there a shortage of quality strikers in the PL this year? Costa and Kane are very underwhelming I think but they are prob the right choices. Costa has a storming start but I think he hasnt been great in the last 3 months.

My thoughts on the PFA team of the year:

Goalkeeper: De Gea.

United wouldn't be as high up in the table without him, he's had a purple patch but has come back down to a more normal standard of late. Courtois has been an 8/10 all season long, but de Gea has had more exceptional performances which make him pip it. Fabianski has been exceptional as well. But I agree with this decision.

LB: Bertrand

Yep, he's had a stellar season, you look at all the other sides, Glen Johnson, no, Shaw, injured all season, Azpi, consistent but not excellent, City? I don't even think Pellegrini rate their left side and Gibbs isn't great. Danny Rose can't defend. Baines has also been piss poor.

RB: Ivanovic.

Scored goals, has been terrible defensively for large parts of the season. There really is a dearth of talent in the league, Coleman has been quiet, Zabaleta has been too. Valencia is muck, and Bellerin has been excellent as a stand in but not better than Ivanovic.

CB: Terry / Cahill

Terry yes, Cahill arguable. Cahill has been left very exposed by Ivanovic all season long, still think he's a very good defender but not the 2nd best in the league this season. Smalling, Fonte and Koscielny could all take his place.

LM: Hazard

Best player in the league. Tadic probably be second for me.

RM: Sanchez

Yep. Sterling has been a close second though. Has carried Liverpool without any other attacking threat for long periods this season.

CM: Coutinho/Matic

Neither for me, Coutinho as a creative player has been overshadowed by players like Fabregas, Cazorla, Eriksen and Mata.

As for Matic, he's been very good, but the red card was very silly. I know Jedinak/Schneiderlein both have one also, but both have had very good seasons also. Coquelin on a half season has also looked stellar and could be in with a shout next season. I'd personally go with Fabregas and Schneiderlein.

CF: Kane/Costa

Hard to argue, Kane has been a player people have written off all season long, but considering he wasn't even a starter he's done so well. He'd have to be in the team.

As for Costa, really its a flip of a coin on who deserves it more, him or Aguero.

Nominal mentions:
    Rooney, Henderson, Silva, Austin, Beharinho

Forster, Clyne options for GK and RB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Nope, but they play a completely different role to Coutinho. Coutinho can only dream about being in that calibre of player. You're arguing the unarguable here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Would have Clyne and Fonte in over Ivanovic and Cahill.

jonny666 wrote: »
    is there a shortage of quality strikers in the PL this year? Costa and Kane are very underwhelming I think but they are prob the right choices. Costa has a storming start but I think he hasnt been great in the last 3 months.

Not a shortage, they just haven't been up to their expected quality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement