Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Team of the Year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

They're CMS, might be fairer if you'd compare him to other attacking midfielders.
    If u actually watched Coutinho u would see how deep he drops in games. He has played CM this season as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Forster, Clyne options for GK and RB

Options yeah, but the right guys probably nabbed it ahead of them just about.

MD1990 wrote: »
    If u actually watched Coutinho u would see how deep he drops in games. He has played CM this season as well.

But he is neither a pass master nor a ball winner, he is clearly most effective further forward where his first touch and dribbling can have greatest effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

niallo27 wrote: »
    Would Matic have the best stats. Costa shouldn't be in the side either if it was on stats.

Coutinho's role is to produce goals and assists, Matic's is not so why compare the two? Costa is only the leading goalscorer in the team about to be crowned champions, nope definitely shouldn't be in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

CSF wrote: »
    Options yeah, but the right guys probably nabbed it ahead of them just about.

Defor for goalie but just when he was mention Fabianski and lack of right backs I just suggested those boys. Ivanovic and De Gea were right choices.

But he is neither a pass master nor a ball winner, he is clearly most effective further forward where his first touch and dribbling can have greatest effect.
    Very underated part of his game. His tackling is actually very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Wow, can't believe Coutinho made that side ahead of Sigurdsson, Fabregas and Eriksen but to make a few. The rest is spot on apart from Cahill who is debatable

But not the best. This is for the best team of the year. Not the very good team of the year. Youre talking about the wrong class.

He's not Matic, put it that way. Again, you're arguing the unarguable. Coutinho is not and never has been a ball winning midfielder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Coutinho's role is to produce goals and assists, Matic's is not so why compare the two? Costa is only the leading goalscorer in the team about to be crowned champions, nope definitely shouldn't be in there.

You said it was all about scoring goals. Playing for the champions should make that easier really. Aguero has scored more than him playing for a worse team so he really should be in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Aren't these voted for in February or something? May help put context into at least some of the selections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

This Coutinho fella seems to have it all :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Don't think that team is too far off reallyt. Coutinho has had a very good season but I think Fabregas deserves to be in there ahead of him, not outrageous to have Coutinho in there though. Realistically it could just be the Chelsea starting eleven plus a few outstanding performers such as De Gea, Kane and Sanchez.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

If they were going to pick a token liverpool player i'd have expected it to be between skrtel, henderson or sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

You said it was all about scoring goals. Playing for the champions should make that easier really. Aguero has scored more than him playing for a worse team so he really should be in the team.

By that logic so, Sigurdsson has done more than Coutinho playing for a worse team so he should be in there too.

• Advertisement

He's not Matic, put it that way. Again, you're arguing the unarguable. Coutinho is not and never has been a ball winning midfielder
    Never said he was. But his all round game is outstanding & thats why he is in the team. He is like a Iniesta & Modric imo. Part of the reason why he doesn't have more assists is because we have had no striker all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

adox wrote: »
    Aren't these voted for in February or something? May help put context into at least some of the selections.

The entire Chelsea squad voting for coutinho probably had something to do with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Aguero should absolutely be in the team.
    It's a nonsense that he's not.

Coutinho's inclusion is laughable. There's so many more worthy options.

By that logic so, Sigurdsson has done more than Coutinho playing for a worse team so he should be in there too.

https://twitter.com/AlfiePrice_/status/592290041961013250

Chris Brunt must be in with a shout too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

So this is basically a retread of the PFA nominations thread?

For what it's worth I think Cahill sticks out far more than Coutinho does. You could at least argue Coutinho's inclusion with a few others. I have no idea how Cahill got in.

• Advertisement

Never said he was. But his all round game is outstanding & thats why he is in the team. He is like a Iniesta & Modric imo. Part of the reason why he doesn't have more assists is because we have had no striker all season.

Hes not the most outstanding midfielder in league better than him however you paint it dude

Yes you could put him in there. It was you who said it was about stats and scoring goals though not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Kirby wrote: »
    The entire Chelsea squad voting for coutinho probably had something to do with it too.

Whats this?

Coutinho wishes he was an Iniesta or Modric.

I have changed my mind after seeing that. Coutinho > Fabregas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

jonny666 wrote: »
    Whats this?

Tactical block voting. like the eurovision. or survivor. :P Terry told them all who to vote for.

If its just for individual moment and not the season then where the **** is Charlie Adam?

Coutinho wishes he was an Iniesta or Modric.

Of course he does. 99.9% of players wish they were that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

If any Liverpool midfielders deserve to be in the team it's Henderson. He's turning into Gerrard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

As a Liverpool fan I find coutinho frustratingly inconsistent but he has improved a lot this season.

He has outrageous talent even when Suarez was there I said coutinho was the most skilful player we have.

A true exciting flair Brazilian to watch and if he can continue to improve he can be in the running for the main award next year. Another point about his output in comparison to others what he has had in front of him all season has been really poor.

He scored some big goals for us this season and his work rate has been excellent so I wouldn't be against his inclusion.

Gary Cahill is getting off fierce lightly here though. There must be at least 5 or 6 more suitable candidates. Fonte, Kos, Skrtel, Smalling, Williams and Alderweireld all had a better season for me.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    If any Liverpool midfielders deserve to be in the team it's Henderson. He's turning into Gerrard.

The Gerrard of today or 10 years ago?

He can go off with Gerrard if its the former.

He hasn't been as good as Coutinho. He gets more goals and assists but he's just not as influential to how the team plays overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

rob316 wrote: »
    The Gerrard of today or 10 years ago?

He can go off with Gerrard if its the former.

Gerrard of 10 years ago. Some of his goals and assists have been very Gerrardesque.

Of course he does. 99.9% of players wish they were that good.

But I'm replying to someone who actually bizarrely said he was. I agree with you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Agree with the consensus. Coutinho and Cahill shouldn't be there.

Sigurdson, Cazorla, Silva, Eriksen and Fabregas have all had superior seasons to Coutinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Cahill should be nowhere near that team.

Gerrard of 10 years ago. Some of his goals and assists have been very Gerrardesque.

He's a strong box to box midfielder and more disciplined but he will never have the attacking talent of Gerrard they are different type players.

Still he has come on leaps and bounds and I'm glad he has started to add output to his game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Kirby wrote: »
    Tactical block voting. like the eurovision. or survivor. :P Terry told them all who to vote for.

There is no need or point in a tactical vote in the team of the year and it wouldn't really happen. Tactical voting for the actual pfa award is a different matter.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Agree with the consensus. Coutinho and Cahill shouldn't be there.

Sigurdson, Cazorla, Silva, Eriksen and Fabregas have all had superior seasons to Coutinho.

Silva and Fabregas I agree with (even though Fabregas' form has dipped as it often does after Christmas). The likes of Eriksen and Sigurdsson are very debatable. Like Coutinho they've had spells this season when they've been pretty quiet. Depends on preference really and Coutinho has been the best of thee three of those post-Christmas. Silva is probably the big one though. Been City's best player this season since Yaya decided to down tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Raf32 wrote: »
    Gary Cahill is getting off fierce lightly here though. There must be at least 5 or 6 more suitable candidates. Fonte, Kos, Skrtel, Smalling, Williams and Alderweireld all had a better season for me.

I thought it was pretty well universally agreed in this thread Cahill shouldn't be in it. Haven't read a single post giving him wholehearted support.

I thought it was pretty well universally agreed in this thread Cahill shouldn't be in it. Haven't read a single post giving him wholehearted support.

No but Coutinho is getting a roasting (deservedly). Cahill is even less deserving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

No but Coutinho is getting a roasting (deservedly). Cahill is even less deserving.

Ah I get ya. Yep, think Cahill is definitely strangest selection in that team.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

People are defending Coutinho's inclusion, no one is defending Cahill which is why there's not been much discussion about him.

• Advertisement

Thats only because no one is trying to claim Cahill is as great as Tiago Silva.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

kfallon wrote: »
    Such as? :confused:

The first player to come to mind is Henderson. He's a very solid and reliable CM and he's more assists and goals that Coutinho.

Sterling would be in there ahead of him as well for me.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    People are defending Coutinho's inclusion, no one is defending Cahill which is why there's not been much discussion about him.

This

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Coutinho would undoubtedly have better stats if the attack in front of him wasn't absolute dog ****.

If you dropped him into any of the top 4 sides playing the same position with the same number of games, he'd get at least twice as many assists.

But we can only go on what we see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Gbear wrote: »
    Coutinho would undoubtedly have better stats if the attack in front of him wasn't absolute dog ****.

If you dropped him into any of the top 4 sides playing the same position with the same number of games, he'd get at least twice as many assists.

But we can only go on what we see.

Would he even get in to the Chelsea, Arsenal or Manchester City sides playing the same position? Each of those sides seem pretty set in that position.

• Advertisement
Advertisement