Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public sector pay increase

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

JillyQ wrote: »
    do most people not live in the surbarbs?. As for the Ryanair i am well aware of it was like at the start it, most business do struggle for about the first 5 years.

they do, but most work in the city centre, plus a goodly portion from outside the GDA also work in and around the city centre.

Put it another way, if the city centre is such a 'bad' place to put an NDLS office, why is it stuffed full of banks?

Could it be that as a private sector operation it is pursuing a profit motive (nothing wrong with that at all), hence it is motivated to locate in areas where rents are cheap but there is still a reasonable demand? In that way it can minimise costs, service a decent size market, thereby maximising profit through cost minimisation? Unlike a public service operation which would be located where it's needed, not where profits can be maximised.

Or another example, the crowd I work for is a UK firm - the Irish operation is currently working flat out, while our UK operation is discussing redundancies. We've taken truckloads of work from them - because of the Euro. It's cheaper to put the work through us (even with us having to fly over and back to the UK on a weekly basis now) with our relative cost base than actually do the work at a geographically closer location to the client.

For all the PS critics......you're moment has arrived.......

Want an easy job, free money and a gold plated pension?

Apply here.......

Assistant Principal in the Civil Service incorporating First Secretary in the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
    The Civil Service is embarked on a programme of renewal and building capability for the future. As we emerge from a period of challenge, we want to identify a pool of talent for appointment to management positions at the level of Assistant Principal. This is a critical post in terms of ensuring quality service delivery to the public.

The role is a hugely diverse one, the context of which can vary widely. Assistant Principals have a critical management role in implementing government policy in the economic, financial, international, environmental and/or social arenas.

In addition, positions as First Secretary in the diplomatic service of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade will be filled from this competition.

We welcome applications from high calibre individuals with an interest in public affairs and a commitment to public service, who are capable of contributing to the strategic direction of the organisation. Ideal candidates will be experienced managers, with high levels of energy, drive, resilience, motivation and the proven ability to deliver objectives.

Should be a doddle for some posters ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Maybe it was. But then take another private sector thing in with private buses againist bus eireann again they are more successful and more profitable.

We'll take that as "I'm wrong" then re the driving licences?

Maybe it was. But then take another private sector thing in with private buses againist bus eireann again they are more successful and more profitable.

Are they carrying half the passenger's for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Jawgap wrote: »
    For all the PS critics......you're moment has arrived.......

Want an easy job, free money and a gold plated pension?

Apply here.......

Assistant Principal in the Civil Service incorporating First Secretary in the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

Should be a doddle for some posters ;)

They probably expect to be head hunted!

Did not say leeches said over paid. Again any justification for the 21k starting vs as low as 15 in the private sector ?

All that tells us is there are employers in the private sector who treat people like dogs by paying them a pittance. I was getting paid more than 15k when I was a PhD student I wouldn't turn over in bed for it in a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Are they carrying half the passenger's for free?

On some they are or at least were honouring the free travel scheme.

"Are"? "Were"?
    Unconditionally?

"Are"? "Were"?
    Unconditionally?

No they expected to be paid for it, seeing as they were not getting anywhere near the amount of state funding that bus eireann is getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Did not say leeches said over paid. Again any justification for the 21k starting vs as low as 15 in the private sector ?
    As €15k is below minimum wage, I'd say they are dependent on some sort of state handouts to keep above the breadline.
    What race to the bottom, It's a pretty easy role to do 1 day training would probably cover it. 21k seems quite well paid and that's just the starting wage.
    If you want people to apply, you have to offer incentive.
    You have speed or efficiency. You can have one person fly through things, or have two people go through the documents at a reasonable pace. And no, you won't get someone who can fly through something at 100%, as they'd be working for a better wage in the private sector...
    Nope I was hired into a particular branch of IT, Unlike the universal role of Clerical officer which is a general dog's body role helping out someone else. You known to free up their time from mundane activities to do something. I'm a Server Engineer if you are interested.
    The reason why I haven't tried to become a Clerical Officer in the past decade is that you don't seem to be given a choice to what sector you're put into. I could have gotten a role that I'd be trained for, but probably not.
    Do the private sector buses go through all those towns that only BE go through? One thing I liked about the private companies were that they avoided all the towns. But without BE, would there be any other publicly accessible transport links?
    For example, there is no NDLS centre in Dublin City Centre! In Dublin you go to Santry, Clare Hall, Leopardstown or Citywest - but that's the private sector for you - go where the costs are lowest rather than where the services are needed ;)
    Also called "not spending millions on a plush office on Grafton street" :pac:

• Advertisement

Do the private sector buses go through all those towns that only BE go through? One thing I liked about the private companies were that they avoided all the towns. But without BE, would there be any other publicly accessible transport links?

They do on routes where they are contracted to.

the difference is, the private bus operators record each SW journey and are paid a fee in respect of it (fixed, regardless of distance travelled).

BE and BAC, afaik, get a lump sum to cover their participation in the scheme - meaning, in an extreme example, they potentially forego revenue passengers for SW passengers.

Now, that is not necessarily a bad thing from a social / fairness perspective, but it limits BE & BAC from recovering their costs. Ideally, they should be able to charge DSP a fee for each journey undertaken, but that would just mean taxes going through DSP to get to BAC and BE, audits, billing etc - better, from an administrative efficiency point of view, to just agree a lump sum and hand that over.

the_syco wrote: »

Also called "not spending millions on a plush office on Grafton street" :pac:

Doesn't have to be on Grafton street - there are plenty of publicly owned buildings in the city centre, the State could allocate some space to them in one of them and charge a market rate........

.......but that would eat into their cost base. The main problem was the contract specc'ed that offices should be provided such that 95% of the population were within 50km of an NLDS office. NDLS, in fairness to them, have complied, but you'd have to question whether they've put their offices in places where their customers can easily reach them - especially as a significant portion of them are applying for permits so probably can't drive!

For example, Hammam buildings - stick an NDLS office in there, along with Revenue - and you start to have the makings of one-stop shop facilities.

They do on routes where they are contracted to.

If you de-regulate the private companies can set up new routes more easily. Leave BE to do the socially, but economically impractical, routes and let the bus companies innovate.

The route network shouldn't be finite or fixed.

the difference is, the private bus operators record each SW journey and are paid a fee in respect of it (fixed, regardless of distance travelled).

BE and BAC, afaik, get a lump sum to cover their participation in the scheme - meaning, in an extreme example, they potentially forego revenue passengers for SW passengers.

Now, that is not necessarily a bad thing from a social / fairness perspective, but it limits BE & BAC from recovering their costs. Ideally, they should be able to charge DSP a fee for each journey undertaken, but that would just mean taxes going through DSP to get to BAC and BE, audits, billing etc - better, from an administrative efficiency point of view, to just agree a lump sum and hand that over.

I wasnt a 100% sure how they did it. But surely if BE are getting a lump sum each year they know what it is need to budget for it, just like any private company would have to do. That i think is the problem BE aren't looking to remedy areas in which this can be done. Im not talking about taking routes away from areas that arent profitable, there has to be other ways of them coming in on budget

I wasnt a 100% sure how they did it. But surely if BE are getting a lump sum each year they know what it is need to budget for it, just like any private company would have to do. That i think is the problem BE aren't looking to remedy areas in which this can be done. Im not talking about taking routes away from areas that arent profitable, there has to be other ways of them coming in on budget

there is - take the politicians out of the equation, spin off the company and set up a proper client management unit in the NTA.

People think public servants lack ability, imagination and inventiveness because of the services they experience - they forget the services, the changes etc go through a political process and having done that the operational 'solution' is the returned for implementation.

If you want better services vote in more imaginative politicians instead of blaming the public servants.

Not going to happen though because there's no votes in it.

there is - take the politicians out of the equation, spin off the company and set up a proper client management unit in the NTA.

People think public servants lack ability, imagination and inventiveness because of the services they experience - they forget the services, the changes etc go through a political process and having done that the operational 'solution' is the returned for implementation.

If you want better services vote in more imaginative politicians instead of blaming the public servants.

Not going to happen though because there's no votes in it.

Maybe is this was actually implented they might have some hope of that happening

https://www.constitution.ie/AttachmentDownload.ashx?aid=2c57c37d-50c4-e211-a5a0-005056a32ee4

Maybe is this was actually implented they might have some hope of that happening

https://www.constitution.ie/AttachmentDownload.ashx?aid=2c57c37d-50c4-e211-a5a0-005056a32ee4

never going to happen - no party is going to willingly give up power and patronage. You only have to look at FG - is anyone really suggesting they are giving us the 'different' government they promised us? They're just like FF only not subtle when it comes to stroke-pulling.

......and if you want to see what happens in political parties when a Taoiseach appoints a person to the Senate so they can nominate them as a minister have a look at Fitzgerald's memoirs in respect of James Dooge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Surely that would entail cutting services to rural routes and routes on which there are a large proportion of DSP customers, which completely contradicts the notion of a public service.

• Advertisement

Rothmans wrote: »
    Surely that would entail cutting services to rural routes and routes on which there are a large proportion of DSP customers, which completely contradicts the notion of a public service.

Why would you automatically assume it involves cutting services?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Why would you automatically assume it involves cutting services?

Well, currently a lot of those services are cross subsidised by profitable BE services. If you allow the private sector to pick and choose those ones, to such an extent that BE's profits deteriorate, to maintain the loss making services, BE is going to need a significantly increased subsidy.

Which I have no doubt you'd scream blue murder about given that you don't appear to value public service and the fact that it occasionally costs money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ideally, they should be able to charge DSP a fee for each journey undertaken, but that would just mean taxes going through DSP to get to BAC and BE, audits, billing etc - better, from an administrative efficiency point of view, to just agree a lump sum and hand that over.
    I think some bus companies have refused to take part in the scheme as that's a PITA. Also, as until recently most of them had no photo on them, they weren't that hard to copy.
    Doesn't have to be on Grafton street - there are plenty of publicly owned buildings in the city centre, the State could allocate some space to them in one of them and charge a market rate........
    I think I did mine in Henry Street or Talbot Street about 10 years ago. Used to be fairly packed, but I think they had their fair share of junkies coming in as well. There was little to no security at any given time.
    People think public servants lack ability, imagination and inventiveness
    Public Servants can often quickly find that imagination and inventiveness is limited by red tape and the fear of getting sued. Oh, and limited budget. If you have the budget to do something, you don't need imagination and inventiveness to have something done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

€2k over 2 years. Labour trying to buy votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭daithi7

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    €2k over 2 years. Labour trying to buy votes.

Yup, and Fine Gael are letting them try, at all of our expense. It's poor politics, poor leadership and poor economics in a triple cocktail of codology. Sadly though, this is the type of government & parliament clowns we're used to having in Ireland. A dail full of failed school teachers, trying to control an overpaid and underperforming civil service elite in a bankrupted country, is a triple whammy of fup ups for Ireland & the Irish people.

Bring back the troika!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Wow Lets just remember who was saying it would be blanket restoration..... Good to see it's value for money...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

This is at best a moderate first step to pay restoration with limited restoration over a future 3 year period. It is progress from the FEMPI cutting fetish and it is pleasing to see the pension pay cut being drastically diminished for lower paid workers.

I will await information meetings with the union before deciding on whether to accept this or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

This is at best a moderate first step to pay restoration with limited restoration over a future 3 year period. It is progress from the FEMPI cutting fetish and it is pleasing to see the pension pay cut being drastically diminished for lower paid workers.

I will await information meetings with the union before deciding on whether to accept this or not.

I never heard anyone refuse free money with nothing but illusionary reports and reform to be had in return. This carry does not happen on this side of the world. Public sector pay in Australia and NZ is not in the hands of ministers to pay off come an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

jank wrote: »
    I never heard anyone refuse free money with nothing but illusionary reports and reform to be had in return. This carry does not happen on this side of the world. Public sector pay in Australia and NZ is not in the hands of ministers to pay off come an election.

Who's hands is it in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I'm a public service worker and it is very obvious it is a buying votes scam.

We are not fooled by it and the new points we have to agree to.

Assume unions will have to vote to either accept or reject these proposals or will it run after the HRA?

Public ' Pay Restoration' = Deceitful Deluded Spin

Public pay levels in 07 were based on multi year budget surpluses fueled by unsustainable property transaction taxes at over double normal prices on 3/4 times the number of property sales. 1/3 of our economy was driven by a bubble property &construction sector.Further, Our national debt was about 30%of Gdp and the rest of the economy was also flying due to a worldwide credit fueled boom.

We thought we were richer than the Swiss, and so our public sector were' entitled 'to be paid more than them.

The trouble is it was an illusion, we weren't &aren't much better off than the poor Portuguese, who are broke & heavily indebted for generations to come. Yet we continued to pay our public servants like we had just struck oil. Our economy reverted to its real level in a withering recession over 7 years, in which we more than trebled our national debt to 120% of Gdp,paying for current expenditure, so Tina the teacher, Gerry the garda, and Pat the postman could still be paid like they were living in Switzerland. This will cost our grandchildren as well as us. And now with the cost of living way down, with the price of a house down about 40% and, the tax earning potential of the country down about 25 to 40%, with a crucifying national debt to service in perpetuity, and with the private sector paying through levies on their own pensions,usc, special self employed taxes, etc for supporting public pay &conditions at artificially high rates, some public sector gob****es talk about pay Restoration!?

There is no restoration to a deluded place, so please stop insulting the Irish people's collective intelligence by banging that deceitful broken drum.... Irish public servants are already over paid relative to their EU peers and way over paid to what we can afford, that is far too much already, so stop.

• Advertisement

I'm a public service worker and it is very obvious it is a buying votes scam.

We are not fooled by it and the new points we have to agree to.

Assume unions will have to vote to either accept or reject these proposals or will it run after the HRA?

Spot on. Unions and Government had this stitched up months ago. Any restoration is subject to paye, prsi, USC etc. A sizeable chunk of the restored pay is taken back in taxation so the net cost is less than what is being touted. The unions should have spoken to Fianna Fail and the Provos about what they could offer after an election. They could have used this to bargain with the current government. At this rate of restoration it will take the best part of a decade for public sector workers to have their pay restored in full.

We have to look at the alternatives. FG on their own or in cahoots with FF will not be so quick to restore our pay and an SF, Looney Left cabal will drive the economy back into oblivion.

We have to look at the alternatives. FG on their own or in cahoots with FF will not be so quick to restore our pay and an SF, Looney Left cabal will drive the economy back into oblivion.

Thats what most people seem to want here

Thats what most people seem to want here

Then be careful what you wish for would be my advice to them.

Then be careful what you wish for would be my advice to them.

The question we have to ask then is do any of us want to go back to the recession of the 70's & 80's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The question we have to ask then is do any of us want to go back to the recession of the 70's & 80's

There were no USC, property taxes or water charges back then no matter how bad people say it was. Yes though VAT and PRSI was alot higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

There were no USC, property taxes or water charges back then no matter how bad people say it was. Yes though VAT and PRSI was alot higher.

There were domestic rates until 1977.

Of course there was. There was a little thing called rates. Alot higher isn't the word people were paying over 60% in income tax.

Of course there was. There was a little thing called rates. Alot higher isn't the word people were paying over 60% in income tax.

People are paying over 60% tax now.

40% paye
    7% USC
    4% PRSI
    10.5% Pension Levy (Yes it is a tax. There is no guarantee that an Irish government will be able to fund the intrinsic value of pensions in 30 or 40 years time)
    Add to this mandatory pension contributions in the public sector and the rate is probably closer to 70%

People are paying over 60% tax now.

40% paye
    7% USC
    4% PRSI
    10.5% Pension Levy (Yes it is a tax. There is no guarantee that an Irish government will be able to fund the intrinsic value of pensions in 30 or 40 years time)
    Add to this mandatory pension contributions in the public sector and the rate is probably closer to 70%

No,it is not a tax it is a pension contribution.

The only category of worker who pay extra tax rates in this skewed sector state are the self employed, who pay a higher rate of prsi with lower allowances. They also pay prsi on things like deposit interest. And to really make things totally ridiculous, their own private pension funds are currently being raided by the Irish taxman of. 6% per annum to mostly fund overpaid public servants.

So with ~10% unemployment, the only people being really screwed are the people who actually create wealth and indigenous jobsin the Irish economy ...... meanwhile the same paper pushers in the dept of finance, none of whom were fired, and who helped misdirect Ireland into a monumental economic crisis are back getting pay rises.....You couldn't make it up!!

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, while the Irish government parties sanction pay rises for themselves and other already overpaid public servants, Ireland loses competiveness.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-slips-to-16th-in-world-competitiveness-rankings-1.2228353

This directly inhibits job & wealth creation. So on a country with 10% unemployment, 110% debt to GDP, & a current budget deficit, Irish politicians opt to adopt the exact wrong policy direction versus that which is necessary to recover the country quickest. TRAGIC

From the report :
    "Among Ireland’s challenges in 2015 identified by the Swiss business school were maintaining focus on cost competitiveness and public sector reform, strengthening competition for foreign direct investment, and investment in infrastructure.“

daithi7 wrote: »

The only category of worker who pay more tax in this skewed state are the self employed, who pay a higher rate of prsi, on lower allowances. We also pay prsi on things like deposit interest and our own private pension funds are currently being raided of. 6% per annum to fund overpaid public servants.

So with ~10% unemployment, the only people being really screwed are the people who actually create wealth and indigenous jobs...... You couldn't make it up!!

Are you generalising ALL public servants are overpaid or did you omit the word 'some'? Because I am certainly not overpaid. I work damn hard for my salary.

The only category of worker who pay more tax in this skewed state are the self employed, who pay a higher rate of prsi, on lower allowances. We also pay prsi on things like deposit interest and our own private pension funds are currently being raided of. 6% per annum to fund overpaid public servants.

So with ~10% unemployment, the only people being really screwed are the people who actually create wealth and indigenous jobs...... You couldn't make it up!!

You are right you couldn't make it up. But then there are certain people who believe that the self employed people those who actually have the get & go to start there own businesses should pay more taxes, little do they understand that increasing the taxation on us or businesses reduces our ability to create employment.

Are you generalising ALL public servants are overpaid or did you omit the word 'some'? Because I am certainly not overpaid. I work damn hard for my salary.

That's fair enough and probably goes to the kernel of the problem in Ireland. Most public servants are overpaid, but some are not and a lower percentage again are probably underpaid. That is true.

What is badly needed Imho, is an independent guideline body on public pay in Ireland, which would benchmark Irish public pay versus EU peers, private sector equivalents here and the exchequer capacity to pay, and to come up with specific recommendations for government every 5 years say (or for every round of public pay ' negotiations ' say) . This body could also be tasked with measuring productivity across the various strands of the public service, monitoring agreed changes in work practices & productivity and carrying out value for money reviews (e.g. University sector, Irish water, etc, etc). Using this body , we could finally see if we are getting good value from our doctors, teachers, lecturers, garda, etc,etc And if they are being paid appropriately. This would be far better than the cat & mouse negotiating con job that has delivered such poor value for the exchequer to date, and has led to a badly run, very disorganised public sector in general, run by insiders for insiders, that is arguably not fit for purpose at all.

This proposed body should help transparency and take some of the pressure off Irish politicians to accede to every public sector union demand as they appear to do currently. It would also highlight specific areas of the public service that need urgent addressing. This type of body is an urgent priority imho, yet you'll hardly ever hear any politician calling for it..... Why not!?

The only category of worker who pay extra tax rates in this skewed sector state are the self employed, who pay a higher rate of prsi with lower allowances. They also pay prsi on things like deposit interest. And to really make things totally ridiculous, their own private pension funds are currently being raided by the Irish taxman of. 6% per annum to mostly fund overpaid public servants.

So with ~10% unemployment, the only people being really screwed are the people who actually create wealth and indigenous jobsin the Irish economy ...... meanwhile the same paper pushers in the dept of finance, none of whom were fired, and who helped misdirect Ireland into a monumental economic crisis are back getting pay rises.....You couldn't make it up!!

The bitterness is just dripping off the above post.

Now Sir, if you want to kid yourself and try to con those gullible enough to put faith in your analysis, you've probably come to the right place. However some of us can see what's coming.

The pension pot is long gone. The IMF made ****e out of it paying for the hole created by private sector criminality. The chances of any public sector employee realising the value of their pension as promised in 20 or 30 years time is slim. Their pension contributions and pension levy payments have been vired to cover the mess created by criminal elements in the private sector. The funny thing is that there was never a surplus to transfer.

So keep peddling your spite filled ****e. Anybody with two brain cells to rub together can tell that you have a hard on for pounding public servants up the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

That's fair enough and probably goes to the kernel of the problem in Ireland. Most public servants are overpaid, but some are not and a lower percentage again are probably underpaid. That is true.

What is badly needed Imho, is an independent guideline body on public pay in Ireland, which would benchmark Irish public pay versus EU peers, private sector equivalents here and the exchequer capacity to pay, and to come up with specific recommendations for government every 5 years say (or for every round of public pay ' negotiations ' say) . This body could also be tasked with measuring productivity across the various strands of the public service, monitoring agreed changes in work practices & productivity and carrying out value for money reviews (e.g. University sector, Irish water, etc, etc). Using this body , we could finally see if we are getting good value from our doctors, teachers, lecturers, garda, etc,etc And if they are being paid appropriately. This would be far better than the cat & mouse negotiating con job that has delivered such poor value for the exchequer to date, and has led to a badly run, very disorganised public sector in general, run by insiders for insiders, that is arguably not fit for purpose at all.

This proposed body should help transparency and take some of the pressure off Irish politicians to accede to every public sector union demand as they appear to do currently. It would also highlight specific areas of the public service that need urgent addressing. This type of body is an urgent priority imho, yet you'll hardly ever hear any politician calling for it..... Why not!?

And what happens if they say our doctors, teachers, lecturers, garda, etc,etc are undervalued and recommend pay rises within the public sector, Would you be happy then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

...What is badly needed Imho, is an independent guideline body on public pay in Ireland, which would benchmark Irish public pay versus EU peers, private sector equivalents here and the exchequer capacity to pay, and to come up with specific recommendations for government every 5 years say (or for every round of public pay ' negotiations ' say) ....

Apply the same to a multinational employee in mosy other EU country where the cost of living is generally lower and public services are better but taxes are higher. Admittedly, public services here as do need a shake up in terms of employee accountability.

Daith can I just ask you, as a primary school teacher, how you suggest measuring productivity? And please don't suggest results or exam based because there are many reasons that doesn't work with children.

Expand on that one for us.

I already contribute to my pension.

• Advertisement

Pension contribution my arse, its no more a pension contribution than USC or PAYE. Its a tax and public sector workers will never see a cent of it again. Its also a tax only on public sector workers which means if a private and public sector worker or on the same salary the private sector worker see a lot more in the net pay than the public sector worker.

Your bitterness is quite entertaining though, if it wasn't annoying at the same time the way you have decided that the the majority of public servants are over paid when in fact most are underpaid for the vital jobs they carry out in our schools, hospitals, on the streets etc etc.

The pay restoration being discussed now is only the start of the move to return public sector workers to salaries they should be on and this should then be followed by salary increases.

I'd say your head is exploding now that this is all being signed up and happening.

Advertisement