Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toll Bridge Payment Methods

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

tf2 wrote: »
    The M6 at Enfield: Visa Debit/Laser cards they won't take. They do accept credit cards.
    The M6 at Ballinasloe: Visa or Mastercard credit cards etc they won't take. They do accept Debit/Laser cards.

That's from my own observation.

The M6 (Ballinasloe) does take my credit cards, even some prepaid cards. Never bother to try a debit card.

The M4 (Enfield) does not authorised credit card transactions in real time, they seem to batch process them overnight, which is not permitted with debit card. They seem to maintain a blacklist of cards which stung them in the past, as form of fraud control.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

The M6 (Ballinasloe) does take my credit cards, even some prepaid cards. Never bother to try a debit card.

The M4 (Enfield) does not authorised credit card transactions in real time, they seem to batch process them overnight, which is not permitted with debit card. They seem to maintain a blacklist of cards which stung them in the past, as form of fraud control.

I'm travelling through both toll bridges tomorrow again - I'll ask at the cashier. But definitely 100% I was told credit cards (including my Irish Visa credit card) wasn't accepted and I had to start digging around for loose change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

tf2 wrote: »
    I'm travelling through both toll bridges tomorrow again - I'll ask at the cashier. But definitely 100% I was told credit cards (including my Irish Visa credit card) wasn't accepted and I had to start digging around for loose change.

Quoted from their web site.
    Credit cards are accepted in all lanes. VISA, Mastercard, and some Debit Card are acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Can I ask, do people prefer to pay by card or do they not carry cash? I'm not racing against the clock when I drive but certainly I'd rather have some loose change and throw it into a basket than wait to swipe and potentially PIN my card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

CiniO wrote: »
    Yes, had exactly the same... Line of cars building behind be beeping on the gates in Limerick while I was filling a form man gave me with all my details for payment within next day over the phone...

So you could pay them over the phone, by card, but not in person with the actual card.
    jesus wept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

ironclaw wrote: »
    The issue is the banking sector and the fee's associated with taking card payments. Low level payments (Like under €10) attract a massive percentage and fee on top of it. Its why many retailers have a minimum set, so in the defence of the toll bridges its not exactly their fault. They would probably be making a loss on each 'card' car and as we move towards a cash-less society, the issue would get worse.

I always have some cash in the car anyway, even €10 stuck in the glove box. Handy for such situations or if you forget the wallet and need some fuel.

Its against the terms of the terminal agreement to charge a minimum fee - but shops do it anyway.

Advertisement