Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saddle recovering

• 26-04-2015 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

So my LBS has given me a try&buy saddle to test and I've fallen in love with it. Problem is they can't seem to get me the saddle so have instead offer to sell me the try&buy branded saddle for next to nothing.

I'm very tempted but obviously don't exactly want to have a lime green saddle with the words try&buy stamped across the top.

Has anyone ever tried to recover a saddle themselves or had it done? If so was it expensive? I've seen a few DIY guides online but not sure I've the patience/skills to take this on myself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I can't help you with your question but can I ask what saddle it is? I think you* have gone through a few? Bit like myself!

*Might not be you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Yes I'm gone through a few alright including brooks b17, brooks team pro classic, adamo prologue, and most of the fizik range. I'm on the Prologo Scratch Pro at the moment and its been prefect, except for not being able to buy one from the LBS.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

You could colour it in!

Seriously though, get to work with some Sharpie's. It'd look deadly I think. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A gel seat cover from Halfords?... yes I kid :P

Have you considered dying it?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

The_Sub wrote: »
    Yes I'm gone through a few alright including brooks b17, brooks team pro classic, adamo prologue, and most of the fizik range. I'm on the Prologo Scratch Pro at the moment and its been prefect, except for not being able to buy one from the LBS.
    I'm using your brooks the last few weeks and loving it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ok so your LBS can't get you one but there are plenty of them available elsewhere like CRC Wiggle eBay bike24 etc etc

Youve found saddle you like and find comfortable, don't let loyalty to a LBS stand in your way of being comfortable on your bike!

BTW I had a scratch pro but found it too soft. Went for a Kappa EVO PAS and love it.

Youve found saddle you like and find comfortable, don't let loyalty to a LBS stand in your way of being comfortable on your bike!

I had that thought too but if it wasn't for my LBS then I wouldn't have been able to find the right saddle without more expense & hassle of buying/selling.

I do business with them regardless (2 kids bikes and plenty of servicing etc.) so its not like I'd be doing a runner but I would be getting this saddle for nearly 90% discount.

I'd thought of dyeing but was worried about the wet weather & getting a colour to stick. I might consider the permenent marker approach, I can test with a spare saddle at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

A gel seat cover from Halfords?... yes I kid :P

Have you considered dying it?.

this isint as stupid as it sounds.

I have an old Turbo saddle from the 80's and the leather covering eventually fell apart. I loved the shape of the saddle and so I did buy a gel cover from Halfords and to my surprise it has been really successful. It is pretty much the shape of the racing saddle and ties at the back with a string..

Very comfortable and looks ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The_Sub wrote: »
    I had that thought too but if it wasn't for my LBS then I wouldn't have been able to find the right saddle without more expense & hassle of buying/selling.

I do business with them regardless (2 kids bikes and plenty of servicing etc.) so its not like I'd be doing a runner but I would be getting this saddle for nearly 90% discount.

Ok that's fair enough but the thing is that saddle hasn't been discontinued so why can't they get you one? They're €62 new, I'd just simply buy one elsewhere rather than messing with dyes or paints which aren't successful for high wear items like saddles. You'll possibly end up ruining shorts if you go down the dye/paint route.

They say they can't get a supplier any more. I've seen them online alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Get a bottle of methylated spirits and it should clean any thing off the saddle.

Advertisement