Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing for Trout Report

Options
  • 25-04-2015 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I have a mepps aglia and I retrieved it and found out the shaft was bent.My brother was catching fish on a silver blade mepps and I was using the exact same spinner.He caught three and I caught nothing.I tried to straighten the spinner but is this why I caught nothing?He just bought his spinner.

I am not jealous,I was just fishing the exact method and tackle.What's up?I might go to another lake tommorrow with him and test out the spinners and to see if it's the spinner.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

MadDog1999 wrote: »
    I have a mepps aglia and I retrieved it and found out the shaft was bent.My brother was catching fish on a silver blade mepps and I was using the exact same spinner.He caught three and I caught nothing.I tried to straighten the spinner but is this why I caught nothing?He just bought his spinner.

I am not jealous,I was just fishing the exact method and tackle.What's up?I might go to another lake tommorrow with him and test out the spinners and to see if it's the spinner.

Thanks

Swap the spinners and see if you start catching and if he struggles. Then you'll know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

Just buy new spinner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

Seller159 wrote: »
    Just buy new spinner :)

I did

I was just out spinning for trout today and I am home now.I caught 4 brownies and 2 sea trout.The fight was excellent.I was about to land a fifth brownie until he spat out the hook.And today was very sunny,I am surprised I even got fish.

The 4 brownies were big enough and the first sea trout a good size but the 2nd one was small enough.

I was using a silver vibrax blue fox spinner with red dots.I had no mepps but ordered more.

Also,all fish went back with a big huge kick!

Tight Lines(P.S.The sea trout were the first I have ever caught)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

When I was fishing today I caught 4 well conditioned brown trout. I am delighted with my catch.

The most surprising thing about the day was that it was really sunny and I caught two sea trout. They are my first ever sea trout caught. They were an unintentional catch as I was targeting brown trout.

I was using a silver blade mepps aglia. Attached is photos of one of the sea trout. I was going to take a photo of the second one but he jumped off the rock and went back after taking the hook out.

They are all released as I am a catch and release fisherman.
    Thanks,
    Olwas2014

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Well done man, nice to see the sea trout being put pack to fight another day. A lot of fellas would hit them a tap on the head and say nothing despite it being illegal to take a sea trout/salmon without a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

Good stuff can't beat the meps I always pick them up when I'm the shop lol

If the blade spins when you pull it in the water its still good. You can have good and bad days, even two people fishing from the same spot. Don't blame the tools! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

If the blade spins when you pull it in the water its still good. You can have good and bad days, even two people fishing from the same spot. Don't blame the tools! :)
    Have t disagree.
    If the hooks are in anyway bent out of shape then it does effect the catch

Have t disagree.
    If the hooks are in anyway bent out of shape then it does effect the catch

It was the shaft that was bent. Sometimes this causes the blade not to spin and it wont catch fish. The hooks are much stronger than the shaft and are unlikely to bend unless the spinner has been severely snagged.

• Advertisement

BrownTrout wrote: »
    Well done man, nice to see the sea trout being put pack to fight another day. A lot of fellas would hit them a tap on the head and say nothing despite it being illegal to take a sea trout/salmon without a licence.

I know, I hate killing fish as I like to see them fight another day and fish stocks would not be ruined:)

Just thought I would add a photo of one of the sea trout.I do not have a licence but I totally caught the fish by accident I was spinning for brown trout.I would never kill or keep a sea trout with a licence or without a license.

Do any of you have any experience with vibrax blue fox?I have got very vicious takes today from the brownies,those aggressive little critters:D

I will try to get a license soon,I am already spending enough money at the moment to buy fly gear.

Tight Lines

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Good fishing lad but can you an your brother just make one thread about it instead of two separate ones.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Good fishing lad but can you an your brother just make one thread about it instead of two separate ones.
    :D

Totally agree. It's like listening to two kids telling the one story at the same time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Threads merged

Olwas 2014 and MadDog1999,we're all happy to read about the success you're having fishing but I've merged the threads so we can keep all your fishing reports in the one place, you'll have more people see them that way too and it will keep everything organised. Just add to this thread when you have more trips to tell about
    :)

Ok me and my brother will be sure to do that.

Advertisement