Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dún Laoghaire/Monkstown/Sandycove: pre-19th century streetnames and townlands?

Options
  • 26-04-2015 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I'm increasingly fascinated by this area's placename and settlement history, both pre- and post-1821. It seems that the old names have been more thoroughly extirpated from the area than happened anywhere else in Ireland (Belfast being a possible exception).

For instance, I was just reading about Clock Lane in Dún Laoghaire. I had never heard of it and that's because it was renamed Sussex Street after a Duke of Sussex in the 19th century and it got me thinking about what other pre-English (or more accurately, probably, pre-Royalist) streetnames (and townlands) were in Dún Laoghaire and the surrounding area before the 19th century renaming and development of the town as Kingstown. I had surmised that Tory/unionist/royalist developers had built those streets, but now I'm wondering were many of the existing streets (and areas) simply renamed in the loyalist fashion of the day?

On the way towards Sandycove, for instance, there is a road named Ballygihan Avenue. As most of the surrounding streets have names like Burdett, Albert, Elton and Wilmont, "Bally" anything stood out for me. Was this an old townland name? The only Ballygihen/Ballygihan in the excellent Logainm.ie website is the one here.

Has anybody written a book on the creation of Kingstown out of Dún Laoghaire in the 19th century that has the names of all the old townlands and streets? What individuals were the prime movers and shakers in making these sort of nomenclature changes in this area in that century? Was it primarily individual developers (at least with Breffni Terrace, it appears an O'Rourke was the developer in c. 1860), or was it primarily local politicians? What pre-19th century townlands and streetnames still survive in this area?

Comments

Advertisement