Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! History HL 2015 ... predictions, guesses and discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

I wrote like a 2.5 page essay in one question for my mock and got 70/100. 6 pages is excessive.

Whats enough for you might not be enough for others..if I wrote a 2.5 page essay I would be absolutely raging thinking it wasn't enough but if you wrote one your happy like for some people 6 pages is fine it all depends on how much you can write in the amount of time given.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Stooped

Kremin wrote: »
    6 pages?? How big is your writing?? I wrote 4 in the mocks per essay and got 80%

My writing's like 8 words a line. It's just the length of the essays that we wrote up during the school year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lexijade

How likely is it for either US economic policy or Montogmery Bus Boycott to come up?!! And does anyone have a 40/40 document answer prepared for Treaty? I can't get passed 32/40

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

How many pages are yee planning on writing per question ? Is the number of pages writtin relatevant to the marks given out ?iwould 3 pages of quality be enough for a A I'm just a slow writer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DUBLINHITMAN97

Whats everyone predicting to come up? :P I have Hitlers Foreign Policy, Stalin and Lenin, Economic Policy in USA and Michael Davitt for Ireland. What else do ye recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

How many pages are yee planning on writing per question ? Is the number of pages writtin relatevant to the marks given out ?iwould 3 pages of quality be enough for a A I'm just a slow writer :P

Three pages with solid info that addresses the question is definitely enough for a good high grade imo. You'd need someone really cruel to think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lexijade

If j was going to learn three essays for European section... Which three should I learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jason_H

If you look at the marking scheme, they mark you based on number of paragraphs, not pages. What my teacher recommends is 9 11-line paragraphs, each receives an average of 6.5, meaning you get over 60/60 for the C.M. Generally if you break the 60 they give you 40/40 for the OE aswell! So ignore how many pages you have, and count the paragraphs! Obviously if you're writing 20 line paragraphs you're gonna get around 10/12 for it, but if you break it into two 10 lines, you could get two 6 mark paragraphs (ie receiving 12 rather than 10)

H

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Jason_H wrote: »
    If you look at the marking scheme, they mark you based on number of paragraphs, not pages. What my teacher recommends is 9 11-line paragraphs, each receives an average of 6.5, meaning you get over 60/60 for the C.M. Generally if you break the 60 they give you 40/40 for the OE aswell! So ignore how many pages you have, and count the paragraphs! Obviously if you're writing 20 line paragraphs you're gonna get around 10/12 for it, but if you break it into two 10 lines, you could get two 6 mark paragraphs (ie receiving 12 rather than 10)

H

What constitutes as a paragraph though? my teacher just puts square brackets around the start and then ends it after 2 paragraphs as if he's combining the two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

What constitutes as a paragraph though? my teacher just puts square brackets around the start and then ends it after 2 paragraphs as if he's combining the two?

My teacher did something very similar to that. She expected each paragraph to be 3/4 of a page long, it's very difficult to judge

• Advertisement

Troxck wrote: »
    My teacher did something very similar to that. She expected each paragraph to be 3/4 of a page long, it's very difficult to judge

Yeah some people are like I WRITE 2 LINE PARAGRAPHS AND JUST DO 30 OF THEM but my teacher would just count one entire page as a paragraph almost, so I've always went off of how many pages to write.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Yeah some people are like I WRITE 2 LINE PARAGRAPHS AND JUST DO 30 OF THEM but my teacher would just count one entire page as a paragraph almost, so I've always went off of how many pages to write.

I am similar. My essays were usually a short intro and conclusion but the body would be 5 strong paragraphs

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gryfothegreat

lexijade wrote: »
    If j was going to learn three essays for European section... Which three should I learn?

If you mean Dictatorship and Democracy I'm learning Rise of Fascism, Britain and German economy interwar, and the social and economic issues essay on the Jarrow March. I'm not going near Stalin because the questions asked are way too broad and I'd have no idea if I was answering them right or not.

Is everyone banking on the Treaty for the document Q? I have nothing prepared on the Eucharistic Congress... Anyone want to throw me a bone? I have a couple A1 essays I can scan for people!

This enough for history you guys think? I want to minimise the risk I can't do a question:

Dictatorship: Jarrow March, Britiain between the wars (I'll obviously bring jarrow into this too, but some about the strike, great depression etc), Hitlers Propaganda and finally the entirety of Russia and Stalin..

Politics and Society in Northern Ireland: Welfare state, Coleraine Controversy, Sunningdale/Anglo Irish treaty.

American: US ECONOMY following the WW2, Race Relations, Vietnam/Foreign Policy and the moon landing.

Obviously for the contextualisation I'll study all 3 of the case studys.

If you mean Dictatorship and Democracy I'm learning Rise of Fascism, Britain and German economy interwar, and the social and economic issues essay on the Jarrow March. I'm not going near Stalin because the questions asked are way too broad and I'd have no idea if I was answering them right or not.

Is everyone banking on the Treaty for the document Q? I have nothing prepared on the Eucharistic Congress... Anyone want to throw me a bone? I have a couple A1 essays I can scan for people!

Honestly man, the Eucharistic Congress won't be too bad if it comes up, it'll be a question on Why it was important for irealnd and how it impacted Ireland...

Honestly man, the Eucharistic Congress won't be too bad if it comes up, it'll be a question on Why it was important for irealnd and how it impacted Ireland...

Our teacher literally showed us a ten minute documentary on it. That was it. We didn't even read the book. No notes, no questions - compare that to the week we spent on Belfast which won't even come up! So if it comes up that's my A1 down the drain...

Our teacher literally showed us a ten minute documentary on it. That was it. We didn't even read the book. No notes, no questions - compare that to the week we spent on Belfast which won't even come up! So if it comes up that's my A1 down the drain...
    If its in your book give it a read, its really short.

There is countless notes for it online if you want the A1 then look it up yourself its all over the internet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

Hope Ireland and the UN/EEC comes up such a handy question :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mendelmania

Hey people, do you think there is any risk of being caught having revised the following:

Doc: all 3 (v little on Belfast Bombings)
    NI: Brooke, O'Neill, Coleraine, Apprentice Boys, Anglo Irish Agreement, Downing Street Declaration
    D&D: Hitler -consolidation/propoganda/holocaust/FP/DP
    Weimar government & inter-war economy in Germany
    Stalin - rise/agri&ind/purges/FP
    Lenin - general gist
    Mussolini -FP/DP
    US: Mont, MLK, race relations, Berlin, Korea, Cuba, Vietnan, LBJ, Truman

Really really want to get an A but it's impossible to cover everything!

• Advertisement

Hey people, do you think there is any risk of being caught having revised the following:

Doc: all 3 (v little on Belfast Bombings)
    NI: Brooke, O'Neill, Coleraine, Apprentice Boys, Anglo Irish Agreement, Downing Street Declaration
    D&D: Hitler -consolidation/propoganda/holocaust/FP/DP
    Weimar government & inter-war economy in Germany
    Stalin - rise/agri&ind/purges/FP
    Lenin - general gist
    Mussolini -FP/DP
    US: Mont, MLK, race relations, Berlin, Korea, Cuba, Vietnan, LBJ, Truman

Really really want to get an A but it's impossible to cover everything!

More than I have covered anyway :p!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Kermin

How good am i with these prepared. Really struggling to study for history

Nation States + International tensions
    New Imperialism
    Bismarck's foreign/domestic policies
    Briefly run over women in the workforce.

Dic and Dem
    Hitlers foreign policy/rise to power (With a brief bit on Italy to cover me for a 'Rise of Facism' question)
    And a bit of Stalin and he show trials

Movement for political/social reform
    A little bit on Davitt
    Land War/Land Acts

But i just find it real hard to study for history. I cant sit down on learn things off. Answering exam questions is usually good but that also doesn't work with this subject.

Hey guys you know for the ''To what extent did Germanys social and economic problems lead to the Rise of Hitler and the Nazis?'' question..I have covered in this answer-

-The Weimer Republic established and the treaty they had to sign.
    -Conditions of the treaty and how impacted Germany
    -Streseman trying hard to recover Germany
    - Wall Street Crash and how it affected the german economy
    -Nazi Party rise
    -General Election of 1930 and how Hitler travelled the country to campaign for this
    -Results of the Election

What more can I say for this Q or is this enough? Like am I covered here?? Sorry really struggling to just
    do solid study on History

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Welllmade1745

Hey everyone ive the following covered in extreme detail and was wkd wrong if I'd be covered to get a b2.?

Society and blah blah in NI.
    Brookeborough and oneill.
    Sunningdale.
    Coleraine
    Republican and loyalist violence.

D and D.
    All hitler stuff.
    Church state relations.
    Mussolini and Italy.

Division and re alignment.
    Gorbachev and the fall of SU.
    Oil crisis.
    Youth culture and mass media.
    Main crisi of Cold War.??

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Chef Tony

Hey guys you know for the ''To what extent did Germanys social and economic problems lead to the Rise of Hitler and the Nazis?'' question..I have covered in this answer-

-The Weimer Republic established and the treaty they had to sign.
    -Conditions of the treaty and how impacted Germany
    -Streseman trying hard to recover Germany
    - Wall Street Crash and how it affected the german economy
    -Nazi Party rise
    -General Election of 1930 and how Hitler travelled the country to campaign for this
    -Results of the Election

What more can I say for this Q or is this enough? Like am I covered here?? Sorry really struggling to just
    do solid study on History

The communist party had a huge rise in popularity during the same time as the Nazi party. This made people who were on the fence about Nazism, choose it instead of Communism, as Hitler promised to "Stop the Red Tide". I would give fear of communism a small paragraph

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Takuda

Out of curiosity, how are you all studying? We only have 4 days until the exam. I don't really see myself writing out essays non stop until that time so I'll probably just keep highlighting notes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Kermin

Takuda wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how are you all studying? We only have 4 days until the exam. I don't really see myself writing out essays non stop until that time so I'll probably just keep highlighting notes :P

I've been doing the same highlighting notes and then re writing the highlighted notes in my own words. And guess what its not working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭cmickdaly

There is countless notes for it online if you want the A1 then look it up yourself its all over the internet :)

that won't work

cmickdaly wrote: »
    that won't work

I know, there's nothing on them online... Oh well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 KA97

If a question asks you to write about one or more of the following, then if you only answer it on one of them will you lose marks? I'm just wondering because everyone says to answer on at least 2 if the question is asked in this way, but if you did a really got essay on only one of the topics mentioned what would happen ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement