Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC - Gaming/Sound recording/editing

Options
  • 26-04-2015 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking to build a new PC for the above.. i have some parts already..Suppose it's really the processor and mainboard that i really need help with.. would like more than 2 usb 3 ports

1. What is your budget? 500-600

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming - GTA V, pes

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?

RAM - 16GB-Kit G.Skill Sniper PC3-14900U
    Club 3D Radeon HD 7950 royalKing, 3GB GDDR5, AMD Radeon HD 7950, PCI- Express
    WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080] no plan to upgrade... was looking at one of those Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 Box, LGA1150 but not sure ?

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? NO

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes maybe in future

8. How can you pay? Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser

9. When are you purchasing? within 2 days

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? no should be fine

Thanks folks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Have you two 7950s or one? And what about a case or psu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭mada999

Have you two 7950s or one? And what about a case or psu

Hi sorry,

i have 1 7950 and need a PSU.. need a case too but looking at the antiphon or if anyone else have any idea's that would be great

thanks again

Grand, wasn't sure from how it was worded.

Xeon is 270 I think
    Motherboard 85
    Nanoxia DS3 65
    530w PSU 45
    Delivered at about €480 total.
    Recommend adding an SSD for 90 or 100 too, I'll get you links in a few

Xeon

Motherboard

Case

PSU

SSD

Motherboard has four USB 3.0 slots, case adds another two. Case is sound insulated, I'd say a quiet PC is useful for sound editing? Up to you for the case though

Xeon

Motherboard

Case

PSU

SSD

Motherboard has four USB 3.0 slots, case adds another two. Case is sound insulated, I'd say a quiet PC is useful for sound editing? Up to you for the case though

nice one!! do i need a separate fan or is there a stock one with the cpu ?

• Advertisement

There's one with the cpu

just wondering to try and future proof it a bit should i get the Intel i7 4790K.. all then for 592,70 €

but would i then have to grab a new fan or PSU?

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/Sockel+1150/204966/Intel+Core+i7-4790K+Bx+ohne+K%C3%BChler%2C+LGA1150.article

or is there a higher spec xeon for cheaper than the i7?

The PSU would be fine, better getting a 3rd party fan if you want to overclock. They're about €30 to start at good ones. Use www.geizhals.de for you parts to get them a little cheaper, search the name, click it, scroll down and hit the hardwareversand button.

To answer that question, on stock settings, the i7 is about 15% faster, for over €100 more, not worth it to me. The Xeon can be turbo'd to 3.8gHz, reducing the deficit even more. A well cooled i7 will stop at about 4.6gHz, so its not worth the money imo. Most Xeons are clocked at around 3.5gHz so that's one of the top dogs at the price.

Xeons are designed to be run at 100% for long periods of time with no hiccups, so you should keep that in mind if you'll be rendering

• Advertisement

To answer that question, on stock settings, the i7 is about 15% faster, for over €100 more, not worth it to me. The Xeon can be turbo'd to 3.8gHz, reducing the deficit even more. A well cooled i7 will stop at about 4.6gHz, so its not worth the money imo. Most Xeons are clocked at around 3.5gHz so that's one of the top dogs at the price.

Xeons are designed to be run at 100% for long periods of time with no hiccups, so you should keep that in mind if you'll be rendering

nice man appreciate all your help here!!

Advertisement