Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leisure Battery smells like rotten eggs!

Options
  • 26-04-2015 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

After a week away in Wales we noticed a horrible smell coming from the leisure battery, when we're plugged in the battery sounds like it's sizzling and this smell is coming from the vent. It's a sealed battery so I can't really do anything with it.

Is this a simple case of the battery is fecked get a new one? Should the Battery stop accepting charge when fully charged or could there be some other electrical problem in the van?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

revileandy wrote: »
    After a week away in Wales we noticed a horrible smell coming from the leisure battery, when we're plugged in the battery sounds like it's sizzling and this smell is coming from the vent. It's a sealed battery so I can't really do anything with it.

Is this a simple case of the battery is fecked get a new one? Should the Battery stop accepting charge when fully charged or could there be some other electrical problem in the van?

TURN OFF THE CHARGER AND ANY LOAD CONNECTED TO THE BATTERY, WAIT A FEW HOURS, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY AND REMOVE.

The battery has failed and is in a very dangerous condition, the gasses being emitted are HIGHLY EXPLOSIVE do not attempt to disconnect the battery until it has cooled and the emissions have ceased as any spark could trigger an explosion.

Any battery which gets any bit warm when being charged is fecked and should be removed immediately, once the charging has been stopped and any gassing has finished.
    In such cases the battery will continue to accept charge but will convert the energy into heat, hence the sizzling and bad smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

You need to get the charging checked, it could be overcharging. Had a few of those lately.

There's also the highly unlikely possibility there's and un-fused short.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Thanks gents, sound advice as always.

In a motorhome is the leisure battery charged from the alternator in the van or is there something else in between I need to look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Thanks gents, sound advice as always.

In a motorhome is the leisure battery charged from the alternator in the van or is there something else in between I need to look at?
    It's also charged from the mains hook up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement