Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I get a dog?

• 26-04-2015 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

My other half has been wanting a dog for years now and I've had my doubts.
    If I could just lay out my concerns here, hopefully you can answer them and effectively put my mind at ease one way or the other.

We live in a house with a concrete back garden.

My concern would be with the dog going to the toilet out the back garden (do your dogs only go to the toilet outdoors or do they go in your garden too?-I realise that may be a stupid question, but I've never had a dog before)
    So if they go out your back garden, are you constantly out there picking up poop?
    What about if they urinate in the garden too?
    Will that become an issue?

I would be afraid the dog would bark if he was outside for any length of time; if both of us were out for a few hours.
    Barking and whining would be my main concern as my neighbours would hate that, as would I if I were living next to someone whose dog did that.

The thoughts of toilet training a dog baffles me, too.
    And can you ever have a reasonably clean house with a dog?
    Whenever I think of people with dogs, I always think their house is going to be full of dog hair. I know this makes me sounds petty, but I do know someone whose house is a minefield of doghair and it's EVERYWHERE.

What breed of dog should I get?
    My other half has always wanted a Great Dane, but I don't think it's feasible. They're great big dogs and I've read a bit about them; they seem like a lot of hard work.

I've always liked Labradors and I know if I got a dog, my other half would love any breed, really.

When I go on holidays, is it expensive to leave a dog in a kennel?
    I don't know anyone who would want to look after a dog and I wouldn't expect them to, either.

Sorry for all the questions, and the stupid ones too, but I think your answers will make me think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

fussyonion wrote: »
    If I could just lay out my concerns here, hopefully you can answer them and effectively put my mind at ease one way or the other.

My concern would be with the dog going to the toilet out the back garden (do your dogs only go to the toilet outdoors or do they go in your garden too?-I realise that may be a stupid question, but I've never had a dog before)
    So if they go out your back garden, are you constantly out there picking up poop?

I would be afraid the dog would bark if he was outside for any length of time; if both of us were out for a few hours.
    Barking and whining would be my main concern as my neighbours would hate that, as would I if I were living next to someone whose dog did that.

Whenever I think of people with dogs, I always think their house is going to be full of dog hair. I know this makes me sounds petty, but I do know someone whose house is a minefield of doghair and it's EVERYWHERE.

My other half has always wanted a Great Dane, but I don't think it's feasible. They're great big dogs and I've read a bit about them; they seem like a lot of hard work.

I've always liked Labradors and I know if I got a dog, my other half would love any breed, really.

I don't know anyone who would want to look after a dog and I wouldn't expect them to, either.

Sorry for all the questions, and the stupid ones too, but I think your answers will make me think.

Fussy onion I have labs and not only is there dog hair in my house but on our clothes ;) although the dryer is great for getting it off!! Lol
    We have our "indoor dog clothes" and our "outdoor good clothes"!!
    We hoover/sweep everyday.

Our dogs are inside the house while we are out and bark if anyone calls to the house which I am sure the neighbours look at it as a positive rather than a negative.

We have grass so I can't comment on concrete. My labs do 2 number 2s per day....one in the morning and one in the evening.

We haven't used kennels in years but the one we use charged €15 per dog per night with no discount for multiple dogs whereas other night charge €20/€25 but offer discounts for length of stay etc

Whichever breed you decide get pet insurance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Millem wrote: »
    Fussy onion I have labs and not only is there dog hair in my house but on our clothes ;) although the dryer is great for getting it off!! Lol
    We have our "indoor dog clothes" and our "outdoor good clothes"!!
    We hoover/sweep everyday.

Our dogs are inside the house while we are out and bark if anyone calls to the house which I am sure the neighbours look at it as a positive rather than a negative.

We have grass so I can't comment on concrete. My labs do 2 number 2s per day....one in the morning and one in the evening.

We haven't used kennels in years but the one we use charged €15 per dog per night with no discount for multiple dogs whereas other night charge €20/€25 but offer discounts for length of stay etc

Whichever breed you decide get pet insurance :)

Millem, thanks very much for that info, that's great.

So if your dogs are inside while you're out, don't they poo indoors?

And do your dogs go the toilet in your back garden or out somewhere else?

It's a strange question, but I never see anyone I know picking up dog poo in their back garden; I always think their dogs must poo somewhere else?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Dogs will go on concrete, some prefer grass, but if there's no choice then concrete will do! Yes, you will have to pick up poo, once or twice a day, it's not a big deal once you feed the right food, your dog should have solid enough movements. Feeding the wrong food will result in sloppy smelly poos, and if the food is high in cereal fillers then they will be bigger too. A hose down of urine should dissipate it enough, although it depends on whether you get a bitch who will do puddles, or a male dog who may cock his leg against walls.
    What is the routine like at home? Are you both out working during the day for long hours? This is always the dealbreaker when it comes to dogs. If they don't have human company for a large portion of the day they can become understimulated and bored, and may suffer from some anxiety. If you're only out for a few hours then you could crate train and leave a dog safely indoors, where they'll be less likely to bark and get agitated with noises which might cause them to bark.
    Toilet training isn't the hardest thing to do, once you start off doing it right. And again, crate training is fantastic for aiding housetraining.
    Having a clean house depends on a couple of things - surfaces and the type of dog you get. Wooden floors or tiles are far easier to keep, a quick mop and they're clean again, carpets will need extra hoovering and deodorising every so often, although if you limit access to kitchen/living room then you'll only have these rooms to deal with dog hair. All breeds shed, even the ones that claim to be "non shed" they'll just shed a bit less!

TBH, Great Danes aren't for the novice owner. If you want a clean house then you won't have one with a dane! They drool quite a bit so it can be a bit of a pain going around cleaning up after them!

Labs are a handful too! They are a very popular breed but can be boisterous and strong so will need training and unless you go to a very good breeder, can suffer from various health issues.

What you could do is offer to foster a dog for a local rescue and it will give you a taste of whether you could become a full time dog family without the lifetime commitment. It would also give you an idea of what type of dog suits your lifestyle, be it a terrier or a lab or a cross breed.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Most dogs will wee and poo in the back garden, I've only known one who wouldn't poo in his back garden.

You can expect 2 poos per dog per day, on average, and generally another on your walk. Pick them up and dispose of in the bin or down the sewer. The worse the food you feed (high grain content is bad) the more poo there'll be and the sloppier they will be.

Yes, they will wee in the garden too. If it's all concrete you may get a lingering wee-smell, throw a bucket of water down occasionally and it'll be grand.
    Boredom is the main cause of barking. A good walk before you leave them would help prevent this. Mine hardly barks when in the house, and that's where she is 99% of the time. If you leave the dog in the house and you work you'd probably need to employ a walker or neighbour to come let them out for a wee at lunch time.
    Toilet training isn't too hard, and if you adopt an older dog from rescue they may even already be house trained.

Your house will be as clean as you're up to cleaning it. Some breeds do shed more than others. Carpets trap hair. I had a very hairy terrier and I have a relaxed attitude to cleaning so there did tend to be hair tumbleweed in the corners.

Whatever you do DON'T get a breed just because you like the breed. Different breeds have different needs; just looking at the two you've mentioned Labrador would need more exercise than Great Danes, but Great Danes would shed less hair (I think). You need to think about how much walking you'd be up to doing (every day. Regardless of how wet and cold and miserable it is) and how much grooming you'd be up to doing (some breeds just need a once over with a brush on a semi-regular basis, some need an hour a day or to be kept trimmed). Funnily enough size of the dog is of lesser importance; while a big dog wouldn't be able to get around easily in a pokey house I know of a mastiff that lived very happily in an apartment. Many of the 'giant' breeds are less energetic around the house than the smaller ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Joseph291987

I have a Great Dane/Lab cross or Labradane! And they're everything you've mentioned and more but I wouldn't swap him for anything,they're a very affectionate dog and like attention he's also massive and eats like a horse,so Id maybe recommend a smaller breed to the op if your unsure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If house trained properly they know that inside is not the place to toilet and they'll hold it. Like people though; they can only hold it so long and once they go indoors they may be more likely to do it again. This is why many people who keep their dogs indoors have someone come in at lunchtime to let the dog out.

Go for something smaller than a Great Dane. Our dogs are let loose in a fenced off area, half concrete, half grass. We collect poops once a day and wash down concrete. I have diluted Jeyes Fluid in a watering can that I sprinkle around after I wash down cocnrete.
    Our dogs sleep in the house, but are confined to kitchen/back porch, which is easy to mop, should there be accidents.
    We never leave the dogs out when we're not there, in case of mishaps or nuisance to neighbours. One of us comes home at lunchtime to have dogs out, rather than leave them indoors all day.
    Toilet training is getting dog used to doing their business outdoors, or at least on newspaper indoors.
    I'm so used to having dogs in the house, that I don't really notice the hairs, but as another poster have said, the tumble drier is great for removing them from clothes.
    Any dog will need walking and if possible some place to have a run around.
    Boarding kennels in my area are €10 a day and you supply your own food.
    One last thing - Vets bills. You will need to de flea, de worm and vaccinate your dog. Add in possibly neutering and any other illnesses your dog may have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Millem, thanks very much for that info, that's great.

And do your dogs go the toilet in your back garden or out somewhere else?

It's a strange question, but I never see anyone I know picking up dog poo in their back garden; I always think their dogs must poo somewhere else?!

My dogs go to the toilet outdoors....dogs hold in their toilet for hours and hours. They generally do 1 number 2 in the back garden and 1 on their walk after dinner.

All my dogs are rescues....I had 3 labs and each one has/had a different personality! They all share/shared one love.......food!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

We have a small dog which dosen't cast hairs.He is 5 now and you honestly would not know there was a dog in the house. OP I dont know if you have a small of large garden but if small I would go for a smaller dog.
    If you are going for a puppy be aware that it will chew anything and everything ie furniture legs of tables and chairs shoes or any kind of cables that may be laying about ie phone or laptop chargers.
    Yes for the first few monthe they will pee and poo in the house but you nearly always know when they want to do it so you can clean up quickly and with our dog it only took about a month to have him fully house trained.
    Our dog will pee in the garden but he will not poo. He will hold it until he is taken for a walk.
    As for barking I dont think anyone knows how that will turn out. For example our dog will bark mad at another dog if it stops at our gate and maybe if he was inside and heard the gate opening, but the say that it is only protecting its territory
    My sister has a dog which never stops barking and when she brings it to our house it barks at everything that moves and this sets our dog off as well. Hope this helps
    Another thing I must add op If you and your oh wanted to go out for the day or say go to a wedding would you feel happy leaving it on its own all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Fussy Onion I think your questions are valid and I don't think you're ready to be a dog owner unless you have questions and think about it thoroughly - dogs (most breeds) shed hair and all pee and poop - I have 3 acres and my two chose the same area for pooping which actually makes it easier for me to clean up but shows they like their latrine to be in the same spot!

House training takes patience from puppyhood but again most dogs settle in to a twice daily routine - you could get a rescue already house trained and older too.

Hairs are a bugger, I have no carpets in my home so they tumbleweed across the tiles and are easy to hoover - but brushing dog regularly outside cuts down the amount of flyaway hairs.

A concrete garden sounds like it could be small? I wouldn't leave my dogs outside without me - they live in the home - and they do bark inside but not to the point of annoying anyone or for a prolonged time.

I work from home - I don't leave them for long periods but they still need my attention for walks and play.

I kennel them together it works out at 25 euro a night.

They aren't hard work, they are excellent company and they keep me fit but and it's a big but dogs aren't for everybody, they are a large part of daily life and they need attention, time and patience (sometimes) and always love! If you are worried about if they will impact life as you know it, they will, IMO for the better - you need to be ready for a dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Wow, thank you all so much for such informative replies.

That is extremely helpful; you've given me a real insight into what to expect and it's really given me food for thought.

I'll have a real think about everything you've told me and I'll let you know what I decide to do.

Regarding my garden, it's not too small...we just concreted it cos we were fed up with grass :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Put some muck down, and lay some lawn over it. Training the dog to only poop on this small bit of lawn can work out great. Mate had a dog who'd only poop at the end of the garden, whereas my dog would poop anywhere on the lawn. Poop hunting is not fun! :pac:

Pet insurance is cheap, but ensure you research the company, as some make it a habit not to pay out.

Dogs generally bark outside the back if
    A) they're bored
    B) left to their own devices for ages
    C) are lonely

If at all possible, rescue two family members of the same sex from a rescue shelter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

If you could get over clean up after a dog toilets and the rest of the responsibility that comes with a dog, walking, vet checks, spending time with it etc. Then a greyhound may be for you.

They shed little, are large dogs which may be a plus for your partner but don't take massive exercise, they work well in small spaces - and large ones too and onces settled are generally content to collapse around the house on the a soft bed or sofa!.

Good luck what ever you do... at least you are putting a thought into the decision to get a dog - or not as the case may be.

Oh I should declare Im biased in favour of greys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

the_syco wrote: »

If at all possible, rescue two family members of the same sex from a rescue shelter.

Really not a good idea. Littermate syndrome is difficult enough for the experienced owner to deal with, a novice owner may find it overwhelming. Training would be fraught with difficulties, particularly given that the OP has stated that they are unsure of where to start with even housetraining.

And having two related females can be worse again. Hormonal aggression, even with neutered females is worse still if they are related, be that sisters or mother and daughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP,

Here are my points / thoughts on getting dog:

1. They are a 12-15 year commitment (and if your very lucky even longer)

2. Training / time - if you decide to go down the puppy route then there will be lots of training hours required for the first year or two - consistency is the key. The also require a fair amount of time. So the idea is when your not in work your spending most of your time with them either chilling, walking, playing etc.

3. Costs - there are cost implications -yearly vaccinations (ranges from €50 - €85 per year depending on your vets), neutering (€150 approx), socialisation classes (€200 - essential if you get a puppy), pet insurance (€200 per year approx - again essential). good quality dog food 15kg approx €60 (you can go slightly cheaper), kennel costs (€15-€20 depending on standard kennels or home stay kennels), not to mention, leads , collars, toys, blankets, treats, kennel (not always necessary) and misc medical bills.

4. they will poo twice sometimes more per day, best way is to clean it up each day, they will wee / poo anywhere unless you train them to go in a specific area (which is doable)... for concrete best option is Jevees fluid once per month and a good power hose twice per year will keep all in order and clean.

5. Chewing / barking - all dogs will do this if they are left for long period of time alone... its boredom - this can be addressed with adequate exercise - mental stimulation toys etc

5. Fur / shedding - is all depends o how clean you are etc - keep a dogs coat clipped regularly, salmon oil, regular brushing etc - these can all reduce shedding.

6. Hours alone per day - do you both work full time? most dogs don't do well being left alone for 8-10 hours per day, this can be addressed by using dog walker / doggie day care.

7. Indoor / Outdoor - will your dog sleep indoors / outdoors? lost of breeds don't do well as outdoor dogs.

8. what breed? it all depends on your lifestyle... lots of breeds require huge amounts of exercise .. if your not very active then consider a smaller dog.

9. buying a dog / rescue - if you are buying dog please do your research , do not buy from the likes of dondeal.ie they are a haven for puppy farmers / back yard breeders (equals poor socialisation / poor health most of the tome)... ask her for advice if you want. if you are looking a rescuing a dog there are literally 1000's waiting for good homes and don't believe the hype they "all have problems" its non sense...

why not try fostering as a possible step into the dog ownership world?

Not trying to put off OP just laying it all out there...

if you can look at the above and be realistic about what you can give a dog.. and if you are prepared for all of the above issues... then go for it...

I know lots of people jump feet first into getting a dog, invest very little time and effort, then after a year when the dogs too much hassle dump the dog in a pound / rescue centre - its a very common occurrence in Ireland today im afraid.

Dogs are amazing, i have one myself and faced all the same issues i listed above... at times it wasn't easy but im glad i stuck with it - he's worth every minute of the hassle now!! just remember you will only get back the time and energy you invest.

Best of luck with what you decide!!

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Hi op. I read your post with interest and feel that you definitely have put your finger on all reasonable negatives that a dog 'newcomer' would be concerned about and I think it's great that your facing them before actually agreeing to getting a dog. However I wonder how many positives that you can see, you need to have a few. Because dogs can be a combination of all, some or most of the negatives that you have listed, and if you don't have a stock of positives to get you you through those negatives then I don't really think you'll ever truly embrace the pleasure of having a dog. They are hard work, they need your time and attention. And they need it for up to, in some cases, 15 years. And they are flippin great and give joy and companionship and fun!!! Don't get a dog just cos your OH wants one, and definitely let him be the one to answer to your satisfaction all the questions that you've asked here. Dogs are great, but they are effort and time also. Best of luck with whatever you both decide.

Inexile wrote: »
    If you could get over clean up after a dog toilets and the rest of the responsibility that comes with a dog, walking, vet checks, spending time with it etc. Then a greyhound may be for you.

They shed little, are large dogs which may be a plus for your partner but don't take massive exercise, they work well in small spaces - and large ones too and onces settled are generally content to collapse around the house on the a soft bed or sofa!.

Good luck what ever you do... at least you are putting a thought into the decision to get a dog - or not as the case may be.

Oh I should declare Im biased in favour of greys...

Have to admit I've the ould gra for a greyhound too! They are the laziest, most affectionate (when they can be bothered) and generally easiest to have around. They tend to have a routine from when they were in training and will do their business as soon as they are let out. LOVE them!!! They even get on fine with small terrier type dogs and are great with children.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cat123456

cocker5 wrote: »
    OP,

Here are my points / thoughts on getting dog:

1. They are a 12-15 year commitment (and if your very lucky even longer)

2. Training / time - if you decide to go down the puppy route then there will be lots of training hours required for the first year or two - consistency is the key. The also require a fair amount of time. So the idea is when your not in work your spending most of your time with them either chilling, walking, playing etc.

3. Costs - there are cost implications -yearly vaccinations (ranges from €50 - €85 per year depending on your vets), neutering (€150 approx), socialisation classes (€200 - essential if you get a puppy), pet insurance (€200 per year approx - again essential). good quality dog food 15kg approx €60 (you can go slightly cheaper), kennel costs (€15-€20 depending on standard kennels or home stay kennels), not to mention, leads , collars, toys, blankets, treats, kennel (not always necessary) and misc medical bills.

4. they will poo twice sometimes more per day, best way is to clean it up each day, they will wee / poo anywhere unless you train them to go in a specific area (which is doable)... for concrete best option is Jevees fluid once per month and a good power hose twice per year will keep all in order and clean.

5. Chewing / barking - all dogs will do this if they are left for long period of time alone... its boredom - this can be addressed with adequate exercise - mental stimulation toys etc

5. Fur / shedding - is all depends o how clean you are etc - keep a dogs coat clipped regularly, salmon oil, regular brushing etc - these can all reduce shedding.

6. Hours alone per day - do you both work full time? most dogs don't do well being left alone for 8-10 hours per day, this can be addressed by using dog walker / doggie day care.

7. Indoor / Outdoor - will your dog sleep indoors / outdoors? lost of breeds don't do well as outdoor dogs.

8. what breed? it all depends on your lifestyle... lots of breeds require huge amounts of exercise .. if your not very active then consider a smaller dog.

9. buying a dog / rescue - if you are buying dog please do your research , do not buy from the likes of dondeal.ie they are a haven for puppy farmers / back yard breeders (equals poor socialisation / poor health most of the tome)... ask her for advice if you want. if you are looking a rescuing a dog there are literally 1000's waiting for good homes and don't believe the hype they "all have problems" its non sense...

why not try fostering as a possible step into the dog ownership world?

Not trying to put off OP just laying it all out there...

if you can look at the above and be realistic about what you can give a dog.. and if you are prepared for all of the above issues... then go for it...

I know lots of people jump feet first into getting a dog, invest very little time and effort, then after a year when the dogs too much hassle dump the dog in a pound / rescue centre - its a very common occurrence in Ireland today im afraid.

Dogs are amazing, i have one myself and faced all the same issues i listed above... at times it wasn't easy but im glad i stuck with it - he's worth every minute of the hassle now!! just remember you will only get back the time and energy you invest.

Best of luck with what you decide!!

:pac::pac:

Hi OP

I agree with the above poster. You need to weigh up an awful lot before getting a dog. Coming from somebody who jumped head first (giant newfoundland puppy) a couple of years ago please don't get a giant breed until you are sure. I really didn't know what I was in for. I just wanted a massive cuddley cute puppy. He wasn't cuddly at all and was pretty much mental. While I wouldn't trade him for anything now we had a really tough 2 years with him until he calmed down. He ripped up two lino floors, chewed the legs of 6 chairs, a kitchen table, destroyed shoes, slippers and many other household items. He pulled the arms off us during walks and was an escape artist in the garden. He also didn't get out of the puppy nipping for ages. It really hurt when he nipped because he was so big and he kept doing it. Another big problem with large breeds is the slime. They drool constantly and your house will never be properly clean with one around. He got very bored when we were out at work for the day and howled which disturbed neighbours. Many family members and friends advised us to get rid of him. When you get a giant breed they do all of the annoying stuff other puppies do (jumping, pulling, nipping, chewing, peeing, pooing) only it is on a different scale. It is not so cute when a 6 stone puppy jumps on you or nips you as it would be if a little furry Bichon did! Our puppy was the biggest in the litter and full of energy. Even though we got a few different dog trainers nothing worked. He was still really bold! I was determined not to give up on him and he eventually did calm down when he was 2. He is now 4 and very good. He is very affectionate now but didn't want any cuddles as a puppy. It took us a while to adjust to his new cuddle attitude! He is a different dog now. We were inexperienced dog owners when we got him and really didn't know what we were at. I wouldn't do it again.

When my newfoundland was 2 I adopted a smaller labrador sized dog from the shelter. She was 2. The contrast between this experience and my experience buying a puppy was unbelievable. My rescue dog was already house trained, affectionate, no destruction of furniture and just about perfect in every way. I would recommend adopting a dog. It is the most fulfilling experience and the best thing I ever did. The little one is now best friends with the newfie and they spend each day playing in the garden together. We did have a dog walker before and that was great too. He now has a companion and doesn't cry during the day when we are at work. When we get home they both come in and sleep in the house.

When we put them in kennels it is 25 quid a night for both of them, insurance is 20 quid a month each and food is 300 a month for both of them. Consider the financial aspect of a large dog. If something happened to one of them it is not unusual for the bill to be between 200-500 quid. This all seems grand now but if one of you lost a job this cost might not be a priority. Going on a two week holiday is now 350 extra for the dogs.

Another thing the OP doesn't mention is whether you are living in rented accommodation or own your own house. I would not buy a dog or at least a very large one if you are still renting. I found it a nightmare trying to find landlords that would accept dogs and it added to the stress of moving. Also if they dig up the garden etc you will lose your deposit. Neighbours can be a problem too. If your neighbour has cats they could drive your dog bonkers barking all day. Neighbours who work all day mightn't notice some puppy barking but someone retired might have an issue.

I hope my story is helpful. Please don't rush in to it :-) I love my dogs and can't imagine my life without them but they are a huge commitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

As a first time dog owner currently struggling with a 20kg Labradoodle I'd strongly consider getting something smaller than a Great Dane.

I'm trying to train him not to pull on the lead and he's making progress but at the moment I'm the only one who can handle him on a walk.

I wanted a big dog all along but my OH convinced me at the last minute to go for something smaller and I'm glad now that we did.

In a few years with more experience and understanding of how to train a dog I might be tempted to go for something bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

hardCopy wrote: »
    As a first time dog owner currently struggling with a 20kg Labradoodle I'd strongly consider getting something smaller than a Great Dane.

I'm trying to train him not to pull on the lead and he's making progress but at the moment I'm the only one who can handle him on a walk.

I wanted a big dog all along but my OH convinced me at the last minute to go for something smaller and I'm glad now that we did.

In a few years with more experience and understanding of how to train a dog I might be tempted to go for something bigger.

hardcopy... have you considered the dog matic head collar?

its excellent on stopping dogs pulling:

http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

i find it brilliant!!

• Advertisement

cocker5 wrote: »
    hardcopy... have you considered the dog matic head collar?

its excellent on stopping dogs pulling:

http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

i find it brilliant!!

Thanks. I'm going to persist with the "stop every time he pulls" method for another couple of weeks, I'd rather avoid an equipment solution if I can.

It generally takes him a couple of minutes to remember the rules when we leave the house. Once he settles he'll behave for a while until he sees another dog or cat. Then he goes bonkers for a while and we go back to square one for a few minutes.

When we're not walking I'm training a "look at me" command so that I can distract him from the other dogs while outdoors but his response isn't strong/fast enough yet to be any use on a walk. Treats and toys worked for a while to get his attention but these seem to have lost their novelty now.

He starts obedience classes tonight so I'm hoping we'll pick up some useful tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 GraceyC

I very rarely post but dogs are my passion so here goes! I have 2 dogs both big dogs and both rescued ( I do not agree with breeding or buying dogs). Like I said dogs are my absolute passion, reared with them, labs, GS, hounds, big dogs and I've been known to foster quite a few too! so if you are unsure at all about getting one don't. Sorry if that sounds harsh doesn't mean to be but I have to spell out the cliche a dog is for life!
    If you are worried about being what I would consider a loving, normal and proud dog owner then things like dog hairs will be the least of your worries!
    In our house which is only a 3 bed semi the dogs have full run of the house it is their home, we Hoover twice a day but you will never remove all dog hairs, we more than likely eat them there everywhere! My clothes smell of dog, my car is used just for the dogs etc
    I took redundancy from my job last year and with that money it was spent actually concreting our back garden, the grass was just too messy, concrete is so much easier to poop a scoop and I wash it down every day, I put the dogs beds outside on nice days for them to lie in the sun and I also built a large outdoor shed for them with beds if they get too hot or cold if they want to stay out.
    They are house dogs however and yes dogs bark! I live in an estate and other neighbours have dogs so I pass no notice, but dogs will only bark if bored, anxious or sense danger like someone looking over the wall which has happened in my case but think my rottweiller scared them when she was just barking to say hello! turns out it was just a person retrieving there ball! But point is this is all very normal to us dog owners! If your neighbours have dogs they will not notice either.
    You must be committed 100% both you and your partner, it will only cause heart ache and grieve if one person is doing all the dog walking, cleaning up etc after the dog and could in worst case scenario end up the dog having to be rehomed , and ending up in a foster home like mine where the dog becomes nervous again and all there trust, confidence, training , socialising etc has to begin again but much slower this time, so it's not fair on all parties involved.
    Dogs require love, attention and patience. Breed doesn't come into it,but obviously a smaller dog requires less exercise than a big one (except for hounds a very misunderstood breed) in saying that you would still need to devote 1 hour per day to walk and play with the dog.
    Money is also important, dogs are not cheap! Food is costly, they can unfortunately get sick just like us and need the vet which is expensive, there's injections, boosters, flea and tick treatment, again depending on breed may need regular grooming, dog licence etc if you or your partner are not experienced you may need to pay for training and socialising classes.
    Also if getting a pup there's toilet training, and they more than likely will chew anything around them (we have 8 dogs at the mo, 2 pups omg! Hide everything!)
    I am not trying to put you off but just I see so many dogs that were bought without people thinking it through, so please speak to your partner carefully.
    Is there a dog shelter beside you that maybe you could offer to do some walking for a few weeks and see how you get on?
    Wishing you luck let us know what you decide, you never know you might just fall in love with a K9 baby!
    Meant to say I'm mummy to greyhounds, lurcher, golden lab, Rottweiller and Aunty to 4 French Bulldogs who I babysit!!
    If you are considering a large dog that is placid, loving, confident, easily trained, then a hound is the perfect dog for you, 1 hour exercise per day and they will laze around like a big cuddly lazy lump rest of day a fantastic breed if you have a busy lifestyle! Very misunderstood breed.
    I would not recommend any of the larger breeds such as Great Dane, German Shepards, Rottweiller, Husky, etc for novice owners, these dogs require experienced owners as is why you now find a lot of such breeds in pounds, people can not handle them for their size, food costs, quite sensitive stomachs so food cost is expensive, vets again and they need you to be boss and some come with legal restrictions (except our rottweillers there big babies!!) so another thing just to be aware off

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shaymus27

You will be walking your dogs and any dog I had preferred to go to the toilet on a walk, so you may have to bring disposable gloves, kitchen roll and a plastic bag or two.

Find out if you are allergic to dogs by petting them and being around them and see if you have any reaction - usually breathing problems.

They usually want to hold their no 1's and 2's for a walk as they like to leave their scent. Picking up no.2's is no big deal.

Puppys shouldn't be left alone all day as they are too young for that. Eventually you might consider a 2nd dog as companion for your first dog. 2 male or female dogs of same size might compete to be top dog so a mix of male and female or one larger and one smaller male or female would be preferable. When you get your 1st dog you could ask your vet what sort of dog they'd recommend as a 2nd dog.

Some dogs are wired and as a first dog you might prefer an easy going dog. If you got a wired dog you would end up loving it's character anyway. Temperament of a dog is what you should be interested in as regards compatibility for you and your lifestyle.

You could ask a family member or friend or someone who has a dog who you get on with to mind your dog if you go away. You might end up being asked to mind theirs though !!! Someone without a dog but who likes dogs and is used to dogs might love to mind your dog while you are away.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 GraceyC

shaymus27 wrote: »
    You will be walking your dogs and any dog I had preferred to go to the toilet on a walk, so you may have to bring disposable gloves, kitchen roll and a plastic bag or two.

Find out if you are allergic to dogs by petting them and being around them and see if you have any reaction - usually breathing problems.

They usually want to hold their no 1's and 2's for a walk as they like to leave their scent. Picking up no.2's is no big deal.

Puppys shouldn't be left alone all day as they are too young for that. Eventually you might consider a 2nd dog as companion for your first dog. 2 male or female dogs of same size might compete to be top dog so a mix of male and female or one larger and one smaller male or female would be preferable. When you get your 1st dog you could ask your vet what sort of dog they'd recommend as a 2nd dog.

Some dogs are wired and as a first dog you might prefer an easy going dog. If you got a wired dog you would end up loving it's character anyway. Temperament of a dog is what you should be interested in as regards compatibility for you and your lifestyle.

You could ask a family member or friend or someone who has a dog who you get on with to mind your dog if you go away. You might end up being asked to mind theirs though !!! Someone without a dog but who likes dogs and is used to dogs might love to mind your dog while you are away.

Best of luck.

Agree, that's how my family work it so we don't use kennels, I look after friends and families dogs in my own home or there own home whatever is less stressful for the dog then they return the fav for us works out great

One tip I would add is to get a decent book on raising a dog so you have some idea what to expect. We got the Happy Puppy Handbook which was well reviewed on Amazon, the only criticism I would have is that some of the steps are a little oversimplified and undersell the amount of patience that's required at times. Spending a week sitting in a small tiled room watching your pup for any signs of needing the toilet will really try your patience and as soon as you avert your gaze for 5 seconds to read a text he'll pee everywhere, then he'll try to eat the kitchen towel while you clean up, if you pull the kitchen towel away he'll step in the pee.

I wouldn't worry too much about the dog hair. It might annoy you now to see dog hairs in other people's homes but you really won't care once you know their from your little furball. They're in every bowl and dish when I sit down to eat, they're in my lunch, I even find them in work but I'm a dog person now and it comes with the territory.

Look online for secondhand stuff like crates. We ended up buying lots of things at the last minute at full price. It seems fine at the time but when you realise how much cost is unavoidable you'll wish you hadn't spent any avoidable money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 2foot

I have a black labrador, who is turning 3 this year. She is very gentle with my two young children. She always barks when someone is at the front door and growls when something is up. She is a great guard dog. She is only allowed in the kitchen, this helps to stop dog hair becoming a problem. She goes to the toilet in the back garden twice a day and is easy to clean up. House training her was very easy. My dog is a great guard dog and friend to the family. I wouldn't be without her.

Advertisement