Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weeding around Calluna (Heathers)

Options
  • 26-04-2015 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

I have about 1000 heather on 2 banks, I have in the past used a number of methods to weed in and around them, Manual pulling and have very carefully sprayed with Roundup(not killed any).

As they grow is there a better way to keep the weeds down without harming them?

Actually the weeds are easy. The biggest problem is grass growing through the heather.

Is there something that I can spray that will kill the grass/weeds and not harm the heather?

heather.jpg?psid=1

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

irelandjoe wrote: »
    I have about 1000 heather on 2 banks, I have in the past used a number of methods to weed in and around them, Manual pulling and have very carefully sprayed with Roundup(not killed any).

As they grow is there a better way to keep the weeds down without harming them?

Actually the weeds are easy. The biggest problem is grass growing through the heather.

Is there something that I can spray that will kill the grass/weeds and not harm the heather?

heather.jpg?psid=1

Thanks
    Weeding manually is the only method for removing the weeds growing up through the plants, the rest of the weeds can be dealt with by spraying and using a hood for your sprayer, like weeding manually it can be slow and tedious. Personally if it was my garden I'd use bark mulch.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

Weeding manually is the only method for removing the weeds growing up through the plants, the rest of the weeds can be dealt with by spraying and using a hood for your sprayer, like weeding manually it can be slow and tedious. Personally if it was my garden I'd use bark mulch.

Thanks, I would need ALOT of bark and due to incline I would problem have to add steping in places to avoid it from slipping.

Would Bark stop weeds though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Thanks, I would need ALOT of bark and due to incline I would problem have to add steping in places to avoid it from slipping.

Bark won't stop existing weeds from coming up and won't stop grass seed from falling into heathers and sprouting.

The only other option would be applying glyphosate to the grass only by using something like Roundup gel.

Also, don't let the grass at the edge of the lawn run to seed as this is where the grass in your heather is possibly coming from.

Btw, just to be pedantic, they look like Ericas and not Callunas. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Yes bark will keep the weeds down if applied at the correct depth (minimun 50mm, ideally 75mm), also you'd need to edge the bed to give definition between the lawn and bed.
    Judging by your photos I'd say there would be no issue with the bark slipping on that incline.

Advertisement