Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunflowers

• 26-04-2015 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Sowed a few last year but do they normally reseed themselves like Foxgloves, cause I don't see any sign of baby ones around yet or is it too early.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Perennial ones tend to have multiple heads , the ones you usually see around with the big single head need to be replanted .

I planted some seeds today ,,,then I saw the weather forecast

Grrrrrr

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Perennial ones tend to have multiple heads , the ones you usually see around with the big single head need to be replanted .

I planted some seeds today ,,,then I saw the weather forecast

Grrrrrr

Am I too late to plant some?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Not at all .. I planted some in June last year .

May is usually the ideal time .. Wait till after the frost though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭somejoke

Stheno wrote: »
    Am I too late to plant some?

No... I sowed some seeds last week in a pot in the house and their just peaking their heads up now, did this last year a bit later in da year after planting into individual pots and when all danger of frost was gone I planted them into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Monty Don was sowing them in Gardeners world just last week so definitely not too late, am going to plant a few myself in the next week or so.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I've planted roughly 15 sunflower seeds outdoors in the last week or so... how many can I realistically expect to survive? They are all in a row and will be backed by a fence that gets sun most of the day, I'm just afraid there will be gaps between sunflowers if a couple don't survive the early days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Brendão wrote: »
    I've planted roughly 15 sunflower seeds outdoors in the last week or so... how many can I realistically expect to survive? They are all in a row and will be backed by a fence that gets sun most of the day, I'm just afraid there will be gaps between sunflowers if a couple don't survive the early days!

Why don't you sow some in pots to transplant into gaps later if you have some...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Bit early to be planting sunflower seeds into the ground. Far better to get a head start now if you have the space on a windowsill or greenhouse by putting into pots until the ground heats up. With all the frosts and cold lately I'd say the ground is colder than average.

Actually see on the Met Eireann website -

agri_diffSoilTemperature.gif

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Thanks for the tips guys! :)

Advertisement