Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2015 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Delighted with the Sligo win. We haven't had much to shout about in recent years. Roscommon made life hard for themselves, though, giving the ball away and kicking plenty of wides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ya just gotta laugh at the Rossies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Well done Sligo :D

Where will the Connacht Final be played?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Congrats to Sligo,great performance!Inside line played very well and did a monumental amount of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Championship alive now. Good intensity to games and upsets starting to happen.
    Delighted for Sligo. Always felt Roscommon were a bit over priced. Hope we get a decent final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Sheeko2001 wrote: »
    Great win for Antrim today!

I have great admiration for Antrim football and the great battle they gave Kerry back in a 2009 All-Ireland qualifier in Tullamore and it was all to play for until Paul Galvin hit the Antrim net not far from time. I'd like to see the likes of Antrim and Tipperary get to the Quarter finals. Give the minnows their day in the sun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Stinicker wrote: »
    I have great admiration for Antrim football and the great battle they gave Kerry back in a 2009 All-Ireland qualifier in Tullamore and it was all to play for until Paul Galvin hit the Antrim net not far from time. I'd like to see the likes of Antrim and Tipperary get to the Quarter finals. Give the minnows their day in the sun.

Yeah, that was only six days after losing the Ulster final to Tyrone, if I recall. Doesn't say much for Leinster football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

352717.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

[shorte="Fr Tod Umptious;95952873"]Ya just gotta laugh at the Rossies[/quote]

The thing is though, it's not the players.

The supporters always had ideas above their station, but Evans going on about the Dubs before they had even threatened to win a provincial title was nothing short of laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Ya just gotta laugh at the Rossies

I don't think the Mayo GAA supporter is in a strong position to laugh at anyone. We have had our share of farce, drama and shame. It's not that long ago we lost to longford. Horans first Championship match very nearly resulted in an ignominious loss in London. The bombastic attitude of (some) fans that have never witnessed an All Ireland win must amuse certain counties. Luckily the present bunch of players have a more grounded and stoic attitude than the lunatic fringe of their support band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

ultrapercy wrote: »
    I don't think the Mayo GAA supporter is in a strong position to laugh at anyone. We have had our share of farce, drama and shame. It's not that long ago we lost to longford. Horans first Championship match very nearly resulted in an ignominious loss in London. The bombastic attitude of (some) fans that have never witnessed an All Ireland win must amuse certain counties. Luckily the present bunch of players have a more grounded and stoic attitude than the lunatic fringe of their support band.

Mayo haven't lost a game in Connacht in nearly 5 years, I think we are in a very strong position to laugh if we want to...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Humility from that small but dim section of Mayo Support would be very desirable but take your eye off the fool and he returns to being a fool so it is always unwise to expect better from a fool.

Most Mayo Supporters are realistic but we have the cross to bear of our share of Fools.

We haven't brought home Sam though and until such time as we do we'll be open to some ridicule too which we don't like in a similar fashion to any other counties supporters and quite rightly so.

For me it's part of the local rivilary.
    I would have no problem if a Ros fan laughs at me and Mayo as we lose All Ireland after All Ireland.

But I am certainly having a laugh today at the likes of Curran and his attitude towards London and a lot more of the Roscommon folk I have meet who were giddy with excitement over FBD wins in Castlebar etc.

And you cannot but laugh at a county that has a crumbling stadium but sunk money into a bus as another poster pointed out a few weeks ago.

By the way I wonder how the fack Facebook page will spin this one, it should be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

The view in Roscommon would be that the Stadium is crumbling because of a bias on the Connaught Council, in relation to funding. As regards the bus - I know it's a source of fun but is was got on a very good deal and it is used constantly for all GAA teams, underage etc and it makes sense financially.

Curran's comments on London weren't acceptable but there may be a history there in relation to Connaught teams having to travel to London and New York and the cost and hassle involved. The London game this year and the travel involved wasn't welcome after a long season.

• Advertisement

wow sierra wrote: »
    The view in Roscommon would be that the Stadium is crumbling because of a bias on the Connaught Council, in relation to funding. As regards the bus - I know it's a source of fun but is was got on a very good deal and it is used constantly for all GAA teams, underage etc and it makes sense financially.

Curran's comments on London weren't acceptable but there may be a history there in relation to Connaught teams having to travel to London and New York and the cost and hassle involved. The London game this year and the travel involved wasn't welcome after a long season.

And that's it, they are an object of fun based on things they have done and said, and not just now but in the past also, anyone remember naked pool ?

Curran's London comments were like those of a school boy going into the Leaving Cert oral Irish.
    He had a prepared answer regardless of the question he was asked.

Peter Canavan lists his top 10 footballers in the country.Bound to be a topic for discussion.I can't argue with any of the players included.
    I can imagine there will be some sore Kerry supporters with the absence of the Gooch and JOD.... injury is the reason for their exclusion.
    No Paul Flynn....
    Possible Donegal grievances with Karl Lacey's exclusion although he does merit a mention... McGee lads.
    Happy enough with our lot although I am sure an injury free Cillian O Connor would merit discussion.
    Delighted that Conor McManus gets the nod,quality player.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/peter-canavan-picks-his-top-10-footballers-in-the-country-and-michael-murphy-eclipses-all-31316338.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

And that's it, they are an object of fun based on things they have done and said, and not just now but in the past also, anyone remember naked pool ?

Curran's London comments were like those of a school boy going into the Leaving Cert oral Irish.
    He had a prepared answer regardless of the question he was asked.

Naked pool seriously - gutter journalism repeated eagerly by idiots. The brilliant footballing and personal achievements of the players involved in that storm in a teacup must be well known to you. Bringing that up now is childish. I won't be replying to you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

I don't think the shocks may have ended for the weekend. I still think Fermanagh will have a right rattle at Monaghan today.

Jampip wrote: »
    I don't think the shocks may have ended for the weekend. I still think Fermanagh will have a right rattle at Monaghan today.

Drew Wylie's injury could be telling although I'd still fancy Monaghan to just pull through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

seligehgit wrote: »
    Peter Canavan lists his top 10 footballers in the country.Bound to be a topic for discussion.I can't argue with any of the players included.
    I can imagine there will be some sore Kerry supporters with the absence of the Gooch and JOD.... injury is the reason for their exclusion.
    No Paul Flynn....
    Possible Donegal grievances with Karl Lacey's exclusion although he does merit a mention... McGee lads.
    Happy enough with our lot although I am sure an injury free Cillian O Connor would merit discussion.
    Delighted that Conor McManus gets the nod,quality player.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/peter-canavan-picks-his-top-10-footballers-in-the-country-and-michael-murphy-eclipses-all-31316338.html

Canavan names his current top 10 so I suppose he is judging on current form which explains why Cooper isn't on it as we don't really know how good he is currently after his injury although I suspect he won't have much trouble getting back to his previous level.

I would have thought O'Donoghue should be there and perhaps Paul Flynn as well Darren Hughes is another who isn't far away as well but it's very hard to argue about any of the ten being chosen and I suppose it's a good sign that plenty of others could have been considered to be in the top 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

wow sierra wrote: »

Currans comments were exactly that, Currans comments- he said them as himself, I think it's been rehashed enough times here to show it's not representative of the Roscommon view, much the same way as I guess folks in Derry don't lose too much sleep over what J Brolly spouts out.

Do people bother debating the championship here or just whine and sneer?

Re yesterday's match; Fair play to Sligo they put in a great shift. I would imagine Mayo will beat them in relatively straight forward fashion but they will give them a good match. I hope Sligo do well in the qualifiers as they showed yesterday they are capable of taking some good scores. Perhaps a side more on their game than ros would snuff out 50% of them chances though, which I think will be where their limits will be shown

Not quite sure where ros go from here. They are better than they showed yesterday and V London, but talk is cheap and it's time for them put in a few championship performances. Have been way off the pace so far, it was also frustrating they didn't seem (on tv) to make any alterations to the full back line who were getting roasted yesterday, and few other bits like that. It genuinely looked like we didn't expect to have much bother yesterday and it clearly backfired!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:
    Peter Canavan lists his top 10 footballers in the country.Bound to be a topic for discussion.I can't argue with any of the players included. I can imagine there will be some sore Kerry supporters with the absence of the Gooch and JOD.... injury is the reason for their exclusion. No Paul Flynn....

Michael Murphy is a top three player, being from Ulster he's selected him at no 1

If it was a munster man's team Gooch would be no 1. Injury would not be used, he's not injured now.

Connaught would probably pick Gooch too.

If it was a Dub he'd have flynn or connelly.
    I think it's a pointless list, selecting a player as number two based on one game. These lists do nothing but draw attention.

For example he had to put a Kerry man on it. (he didn't have to leave two off)
    He has two Dongeal men on it2 yet you could argue that he could add a different one . He has one Monaghan and one Cork player on it (similar players imo)
    He has two Dublin players on it, he couldn't have flynn because he he'd have three then.
    He had to have cluxton on it, he could have left hem off but he's the only keeper he could choose, might have been better not selecting a keeper at all.

AOS is also only a token on the list IMHO. He just had to select a Mayo player. Much as I like AOS, I'd prefer Flynn in my team, It's a very attack minded list . Had a defender picked the list I'd say wed have different Dublin, Mayo and Dongeal players on it.

BTW I don't really like listening to or reading about Canavans opinions. He's far pro Ulster and has a few other hang ups that I think he should be bigger than. he's actually unashamedly pro Ulster, that's OK for us here being supporters but not him.
    All that said. He is the best player I've ever seen playing the game live. I started going to games around 1987 and he was a savage player IMHO. He had everything. He also seemed to be able to slide 50m to collect the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

What is it with the Irish Independent and their obsession with these silly lists and rankings? Martin Breheny seems to recycle one very other week. It's incredibly lazy journalism.

What is it with the Irish Independent and their obsession with these silly lists and rankings? Martin Breheny seems to recycle one very other week. It's incredibly lazy journalism.

Breheny is obsessed with attendance statistics and gate receipts.Every year he has at least 2 article on the subject.One around the time the provincial finals are being played and then one after the championship has finished.

The reason why Breheny does it is that in my opinion he's quite a poor writer who would bore you to tears with his writing and has zero imagination.

I suppose lists like Canavan's do generate debate which is what newspapers want.

Stoner wrote: »
    Michael Murphy is a top three player, being from Ulster he's selected him at no 1

If it was a munster man's team Gooch would be no 1. Injury would not be used, he's not injured now.

I think it's a pointless list, selecting a player as number two based on one game. These lists do nothing but draw attention.

He has two Dongeal men on it2 yet you could argue that he could add a different one . He has one Monaghan and one Cork player on it (similar players imo)
    He has two Dublin players on it, he couldn't have flynn because he he'd have three then.
    He had to have cluxton on it, he could have left hem off but he's the only keeper he could choose, might have been better not selecting a keeper at all.

AOS is also only a token on the list IMHO. He just had to select a Mayo player. Much as I like AOS, I'd prefer Flynn in my team, It's a very attack minded list . Had a defender picked the list I'd say wed have different Dublin, Mayo and Dongeal players on it.

BTW I don't really like listening to or reading about Canavans opinions. He's far pro Ulster and has a few other hang ups that I think he should be bigger than. he's actually unashamedly pro Ulster, that's OK for us here being supporters but not him.
    All that said. He is the best player I've ever seen playing the game live. I started going to games around 1987 and he was a savage player IMHO. He had everything. He also seemed to be able to slide 50m to collect the ball.

Not a huge amount of difference from being a top 3 player and being number 1.To be honest I'd find it hard to argue with Murphy as number 1 he has such a massive influence on his team and if there was a transfer market I'd be pretty sure he'd be one of the players most counties would be after.You could argue all day about the top ten but he hasn't put anyone in there that isn't a top class player so I wouldn't be too critical of the list.You could make up another top 10 of players he left out and it would probably be just as high quality a list.

Always respect your opinion Stoner but I can't agree with your opinion on Aidan O Shea or for that matter Keith Higgins.Zippy is IMO the best corner back in the country and our only problem is that we need at times to utilise his versatility to plug so many holes whither by playing him as a sweeper or half forward to create some badly needed extra scores.Having said I'd have Paul Flynn in my team before Aidan O Shea,wonderful player.Pretty amazed Flynn does'nt make the top 10.But until Aidan O Shea has the Celtic Cross in his back pocket he is no where near top 3.So I'm probably really ending up agreeing with you!;)

It's all about spreading the largesse amongst the 4 provinces whilst the author adds a tinge of home province bias.

Funnily enough I rate Peter Canavan as a once in a lifetime quality of player but without doubt the Gooch is the greatest player I've had the pleasure of seeing in the flesh.

These lists are only a bit of fun and a means opening channels of discussion,they are'nt intended to be taken too seriously.

I'd find it hard to argue with Murphy as number 1 he has such a massive influence on his team.
    You wouldn't be from Ulster would you? :)

seligehgit wrote:
    Always respect your opinion Stoner but I can't agree with your opinion on Aidan O Shea or for that matter Keith Higgins.Zippy is IMO the best corner back in the country and our only problem is that we need at times to utilise his versatility to plug so many holes whither by playing him as a sweeper or half forward to create some badly needed extra scores.Having said I'd have Paul Flynn in my team before Aidan O Shea,wonderful player.Pretty amazed Flynn does'nt make the top 10.But until Aidan O Shea has the Celtic Cross in his back pocket he is no where near top 3.So I'm probably really ending up agreeing with you!

I'd have Higgins alright, I could have made my point better. I'd have Higgins as the best Mayo player.

I think AOS is very effective. Very hard to stop when on his game. I think there are too many forwards/attacking in his list. He'd walk onto the Dublin team IMHO as he is such a good fielder, but there is no footballing reason to leave Flynn off that list. He has four all stars in a row. I'd say he's not on the because he has more of a defensive element to his game.

For me everyone is going on about how some counties only have two or three forwards. I don't know many counties with more than on with one option at number three.
    Monaghan have a fine fullback and it makes them stand out imo. Donegal too. Dublin have O'Carrol and when he's not fit the team is very vulnerable, more so than when Flynn is not fit. Indeed I'd rather meet Donegal without Neil McGee than Murphy.

All that said. That's what these lists bring, this type of debate.

I would have AOS on my top ten. I should have selected someone else to move over ahead of him. There are a good few I'd move off the top ten before him, I just thought I'd put the boot into Cork enough, the Donegal lads with third man tackle me if I said Mcbrearty. I just thought I'd handle the Mayo backlash easier!!!

I've always liked the defensive element of the game. It's one of the reasons l like TOS on the Sunday game. There are less top defenders in the game than forwards IMHO. I think the modern defensive element of the game is masking that. But good corner back that can mark his man and not need a half forward to help him out is like gold dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

His ability catching , running with the ball , shooting from hand and place balls earmark him as the best player ( imo ) atm. Right now if your team were playing dublin / kerry / mayo in a big championship game who else could you put on that wpuld have his influence against the best teams ?
    And yes im an ulster man but that has nothing to do with my opinion.
    Theres time yet for someone else to grab this years championship by the scruff and take the accolade but michael murphy would be the first name on every team ATM including ahead of brogan / gooch et al

• Advertisement

I'm from Offaly and hugely disappointed none of our players were on the list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Don't really see any Ulster bias in Canavan's selection. The 4-2-2-2 split reflects the current strengths of the provinces. Agree with Murphy as no.1, he's worth the entrance fee on his own.

And for Gooch v Canavan, both great players, but difficult to compare players from different eras. Canavan had to put up with a lot of attention off the ball in his day. I'd pick Canavan every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Was looking at the reports of the qualifiers and noticed something that looked fairly unusual about the Offaly Waterford game yesterday.
    Waterford got no score from a deadball - I wonder when was the last championship game that happened in - must be a fairly rare occurrence these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

iDave wrote: »
    Quite enjoying this Sligo Roscommon game. Sligo have turned up and giving the rossies a lot to think about. Proper championship stuff with both emphasising attack over defence.

Which should have led to a much higher scoring encounter compared to the dour defensive fare we see out of Ulster (so we are told). But it didn't. This game had 28 scores. The five Ulster games to date had 21, 22, 25, 31 and 34. So either the blanket defence is failing in it's objective to stifle scoring opportunities for the opposition, or open attacking football is actually an equally good form of defence.

Which should have led to a much higher scoring encounter compared to the dour defensive fare we see out of Ulster (so we are told). But it didn't. This game had 28 scores. The five Ulster games to date had 21, 22, 25, 31 and 34. So either the blanket defence is failing in it's objective to stifle scoring opportunities for the opposition, or open attacking football is actually an equally good form of defence.

The best form of defence is attack but it only really works when both teams attack.If one team attacks and the other plays a blanket there is a massive risk of being caught on the break (as is what happened in the Dublin Donegal game last year).

Scoring has remained stable despite the blanket defence but the problem with it as a spectator is that the blanket defence is dour because the play before a scoring chance is created can consist of a lot of tedious lateral hand passing.When teams open up you can kick pass the ball to forwards in space which is more enjoyable to watch regardless of how many scores there are in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Monaghan will get to the last 12 by beating Cavan and Fermanagh.

Donegal will get to the last 12 by beating Tyrone (a side miles off where they were 5 or 6 years ago) ,Armagh (we saw how poor they were today) and Derry (a two man team).

Neither teams path to the last 12 will be all that difficult.
    Good man you obviously know your football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The best form of defence is attack but it only really works when both teams attack.If one team attacks and the other plays a blanket there is a massive risk of being caught on the break (as is what happened in the Dublin Donegal game last year).

Scoring has remained stable despite the blanket defence but the problem with it as a spectator is that the blanket defence is dour because the play before a scoring chance is created can consist of a lot of tedious lateral hand passing.When teams open up you can kick pass the ball to forwards in space which is more enjoyable to watch regardless of how many scores there are in the game.

Which brings us back to the nub of the issue. What you are describing is old style Catch and Kick with everyone staying around their positions in defence and attack. But kicking the ball long to the forwards carries a high risk that possession will be turned over. Retaining possession is the logical approach and it is more easily achieved by short passing, with lateral or backward movement as necessary.

It's a newer form of the game, especially the short kick out routine, but one which I find enjoyable in it's own way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Not sure there is a real difference between the top 4 or 5 but not sure I would have Aidan O'Shea in there. I would rate James O'Donohue way ahead of him. His all round game is super. And I will show my bias by picking Paul Flynn ahead of AOS.

Keith Higgins for me is one of the finest players I have ever seen in nearly 40 years going to games. He has everything and as has been said he has been used to plug many gaps for Mayo and never fails to deliver. I think Canavan himself is one of only a few I would rate higher.

Conor McManus shows his bias when without Vinny Corry or Tommy Freeman Monaghan would be very ordinary imo and we would hear very little of McManus.

Frank McGlynn is close to Higgins and without him on his game Donegal struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

LeoB wrote: »
    Conor McManus shows his bias when without Vinny Corry or Tommy Freeman Monaghan would be very ordinary imo and we would hear very little of McManus.

Mc Manus is a class act no matter what team he is in and he's been coping without Tommy Freeman very well for a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Those two fermanagh lads should be f*cked off the panel after today, disgraceful stuff especially the lad who didn't get the red.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Those two fermanagh lads should be f*cked off the panel after today, disgraceful stuff especially the lad who didn't get the red.

That's abit of an overreaction isn't it?

Fwiw, I don't think there's as they seem. The one that wasn't carded I think he's gone to put his leg through the gap.

On the 'kneeing' I actually think he's gone in and stopped.

And I'm no lover of Fermanagh. Admittedly I'm hungover and am wearing yesterday's contact lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

I don't know why they advertise the qualifier draw as happening at 08.30. It's now 8.36 and they've just finished the news and are still on the sport.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Round 2A Qualifiers
    Antrim v Fermanagh
    Cavan v Roscommon
    Clare v Longford
    Offaly v Dublin/Kildare

Cavan v Ros the game of the round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

If we are going to go down the route of a restricted 'A' and 'B' side to the draw, can there not be a stipulation that teams that have already met avoid each other, just for the sake of throwing up something different?

Fermanagh and Antrim now meet for the third time in little over 12 months in the Championship despite not playing a whole lot of Championship games between them.

Round 2A Qualifiers
    Antrim v Fermanagh
    Cavan v Roscommon
    Clare v Longford
    Offaly v Dublin/Kildare

Cavan v Ros the game of the round.

Antrim playing Fermanagh again is sure to attract a bumper crowd. :rolleyes:

Cavan v Ros should be interesting - I'd imagine that is good odds to be televised.

Clare v Longford should be a decent enough game of ball but Clare's injuries are likely to count against them.

Offaly v Kildare isn't exactly going to get the pulse thundering.

• Advertisement

If we are going to go down the route of a restricted 'A' and 'B' side to the draw, can there not be a stipulation that teams that have already met avoid each other, just for the sake of throwing up something different?

Fermanagh and Antrim now meet for the third time in little over 12 months in the Championship despite not playing a whole lot of Championship games between them.

Especially when you have the hurling quailifier draw done before it (with amuch smaller pool of teams overall) ruling out teams from meeting again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

That's abit of an overreaction isn't it?

Fwiw, I don't think there's as they seem. The one that wasn't carded I think he's gone to put his leg through the gap.

On the 'kneeing' I actually think he's gone in and stopped.

And I'm no lover of Fermanagh. Admittedly I'm hungover and am wearing yesterday's contact lenses.

My immediate reaction was the same as Nidgeweasel's here - something I can hardly believe by the way as he can get a bit squeamish around issues like this!! :rolleyes:

The lad who was sent off I thought was unlucky, as although technically he kicked, it was clear he did so at a speed that had the same risk to the recipient as a firm handshake.

The lad who escaped sanction I initially thought made little contact until the Sunday Game showed what appeared to be a stamp on the back of the leg that I had not initially picked up. That lad would appear to be in trouble now if as appears likely there will be a further investigation into the incident.

By the way - delighted for Antrim - that was a real against the odds victory. Many Antrim followers in my office snorted in derision when I asked if they might head to Portlaoise. There were a few die hards there - great to see that long suffering loyalty rewarded.

And if I may - a note of praise for the Antrim keeper who made an absolutely blinding save from the penalty - that was vital to the Antrim cause.

Any reason given for not doing the B side of the draw?.

Considering the Dub/Kildare was put down as pending surely that means even if the B side had a few teams still to play the same logic should apply or is it they don't want too many A/B vs A/B :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

not sure that works for this system... sure how have we fermanagh/antrim?

• Advertisement
Advertisement