Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2015 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

overshoot wrote: »
    not sure that works for this system... sure how have we fermanagh/antrim?

You're right...I mistakenly confused football and hurling for a moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Repeat pairings are allowed under this system. Whoever won the original fixture is given home advantage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

harpsman wrote: »
    Paul Flynn should be in the top 3 with Murphy and O Donohue.

He seems to be basing this list on the last month which is a bit short term.

Anyway lost all respect for the little pr1ck since he called a 17 year old who had been verbally abused by two Tyrone players about his recently deceased father a liar when he knew it was true. Cant sink much lower than that.

Cop on. He never called him a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Cop on. He never called him a liar.

No he's far too cute to say something as bald as that. All he did was imply he might have lied and that if he did he should apologize - a politicians way of calling him a liar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Mc Manus is a class act no matter what team he is in and he's been coping without Tommy Freeman very well for a while now.

My point really was he is not IN MY OPINION a top ten player. I would rate Vinny Corry and probably Drew Wylie higher.

Canavan should stick to coaching agree with Ceist_beag. He certainly lost a lot of respect over the incident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Conor McManus is the best corner forward in the country at the moment in my opinion.If he played for a team with a stronger forward line that could take attention away from him he'd be even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

It's some sign of McManus's ability that he often stands out so much despite having at least 2, and sometimes even 3, players on him at all times. He can win his own ball high or low, can shoot from distance or take on his man at pace, and can score from seemingly any angle and off either foot. The complete corner-forward package really. Very accurate free-taker too.

If he played in the Dublin or Kerry forward lines where there are other big threats, there'd really be no stopping him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Fermanagh playing Antrim again is farcical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

LeoB wrote: »
    My point really was he is not IN MY OPINION a top ten player. I would rate Vinny Corry and probably Drew Wylie higher.

It's difficult as a Cavan man to say this but the guy is a class act. Two footed, big and strong, never panics and rarely misses. Have seen a lot of him for both club and county and he's one of the very top footballers I've seen. Corry is a good player as is Wylie but nowhere near the ability and influence of McManus. It's impossible to compare though as they are two backs.

Unfortunately McManus doesn't get the exposure that Gooch or Bernard Brogan get so doesn't get as much coverage.

For me he would be in the top 3 on that list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

shrewdness wrote: »
    If he played in the Dublin or Kerry forward lines where there are other big threats, there'd really be no stopping him.

Sean Cavanagh knows how to stop him 😊

But I agree, he's lethal. He made bits of the Dublin defence in the league semifinal.

• Advertisement

As a Donegal man I would love to have McManus in our team! There is no question imho that he is one of the best forwards in the country and he would certainly be in my top 3 for the full forward line on current form. As Tom Joad said, he has it all, two good feet, wins his own ball and ice cool under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Sean Cavanagh knows how to stop him 😊

But I agree, he's lethal. He made bits of the Dublin defence in the league semifinal.

Yeah the weeks break in Portugal did him the world of good after managing only 2 points from frees in Clones the week before ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Colm O'Neill is a class act but its very difficult to put him in a current top 10. Talent wise yes but with injuries unfortunately we don't see enough of him.

I don't know why they rowed back on teams meeting again,no sense whatsoever.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Brilliant analysis in IT today of the Sligo win over Roscommon by Jimmy McGuinness. He's already one of the best and most interesting Gaelic Football analysts I've ever come across.
    There's more relevant and cutting edge stuff in that one article today than in a year's worth of coverage by most hacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Brilliant analysis in IT today of the Sligo win over Roscommon by Jimmy McGuinness. He's already one of the best and most interesting Gaelic Football analysts I've ever come across.
    There's more relevant and cutting edge stuff in that one article today than in a year's worth of coverage by most hacks.

He's brilliant and others like cinnede and Conor McCarthy and Barry Donovan echo good writers too

I do rate christy o Connor however he's absolutely way way off assessment Cork set up from day one football means I'm cautious to belive all he's articles
    Kerry man Hennessey does good stats for examiner
    Your right there's some woeful journalist gaa out there on the other side of the coin
    That what you crave in bold open no nonsense and call it as it is and none this cherry picking happy clapping type assessments teams when logic shows reality

He's brilliant and others like cinnede and Conor McCarthy and Barry Donovan echo good writers too

I do rate christy o Connor however he's absolutely way way off assessment Cork set up from day one football means I'm cautious to belive all he's articles
    Kerry man Hennessey does good stats for examiner
    Your right there's some woeful journalist gaa out there on the other side of the coin
    That what you crave in bold open no nonsense and call it as it is and none this cherry picking happy clapping type assessments teams when logic shows reality
    Did you write this 'as Gaeilge' and pass it through Google translate or something? There is a certain irony in an illegible post such as this criticising journalism! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Just two facts about the Offaly footballers
    1. They havent won a Leinster champinship since beating Carlow in 2007
    2. Prior to beating Waterford they hadnt won a championship game since 2011. They actually beat Monaghan that day.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2011/0625/281495-offaly_monaghan/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Did you write this 'as Gaeilge' and pass it through Google translate or something? There is a certain irony in an illegible post such as this criticising journalism! :D

I praised journalists here like other poster but said there's poor ones also like other poster said

No irony with o Connor I am huge fan of him but said he was wrong with Cork
    No irony at all
    I respect your right to your opinion all the same

I suspect you missed my point thinkstoomuch1! I wasn't referring to the points you made, more how you made them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Steven81 wrote: »
    Just two facts about the Offaly footballers
    1. They havent won a Leinster champinship since beating Carlow in 2007
    2. Prior to beating Waterford they hadnt won a championship game since 2011. They actually beat Monaghan that day.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2011/0625/281495-offaly_monaghan/

Well at least they can say they got further than Laois this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Interesting game on at the moment in Clones.

Donegal struggling against Derry 5 points apiece at half time.

Some awful football on show, with terrible footpassing and wides.

Derry were the better team in the first half, but neither side have shown much. Derry keeper made a good save from a Michael Murphy flick on.

Referee (Rory Hickey) is very good. Three times he's ignored forwards diving for frees, and he penalized a forward grabbing a back and shoving off while in possession.

Wexford giving Down a rattle as well by all accounts.

Poor enough game so far. Absolutely zero pace and intensity and both teams are just meandering along through the game.You feel Donegal could step it up if they really wanted by Derry should really be going for the jugular now while they have a chance and take advantage of Donegals wastefulness.Any time they up the pace they look dangerous but in the main Derry seem to be happy to play the game in a ponderous manner.

Both teams really should be foot passing it earlier into the forwards the really slow pace to both teams attacks and ponderous hand passing is allowing teams to retreat without much effort and close off any space.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It's a bit like Roscommon vs Sligo last week, Donegal are too casual just expecting things to happen and Derry seem angry and up for the fight but their shooting has been atrocious so far this half that might be the difference.

Edit: Donegal goal, long way back for Derry.

1-8 to 0-6 to Donegal now.

Donegal have upped it considerably since half time.They'll probably hammer Derry now.

Pure panic from Derry.

Had a took a quick free, got turned over let Donegal counter and get a point.

Donegal push up on the kick out, win it, and bang in a goal, and they are pretty much out of sight.

1-8 to 0-6

• Advertisement

Down lost to Wexford.

Big surprise.

2-16 to 2-11

Wexford beat Down 2-16 to 2-11

Massive hit on McFadden leads to a Derry score.

1-8 to 0-8. Good Derry response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Wexford beat Down 2-16 to 2-11

Is that a Leinster team beating an Ulster team!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Good result for Wexford especially considering both teams respective league campaigns with Down promoted to div 1 and Wexford relegated to div 4.

Apparently the 10 point win for Armagh over Wicklow was flattering towards Armagh as well.

And they say Ulster teams are much much better than Leinster teams :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Plenty of chances for Derry. They're just not taking them.

Never seen Donegal so lazy around the 40.

The panic! Derry are only 3 points down! Why are they kicking nothing chances wide!

Donegal sending out all the wrong signals with the hand pass messing around the middle.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Derry aren't lying down, Donegal would want to wake up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭slogging...it

Armagh lucky against Wicklow, Wexford beat Down brutal showcase of football on TV and Leinster is in dissary?? I can only and I do expect at least an attempt of football tomorrow!!!

Its very poor football.

Michael Murphy's point from 50 was the only real highlight.

After my praise for the referee, that was a shocker. Slide tackle on the Donegal player, as blatant as can be!

Luckily, Murphy put it over so it didn't make a difference.

Derry hit back immediately.

1-09 to 0-10

The Derry lads will be kicking themselves this evening if they get nothing from this.

Case in point that last sequence. 7 or 8 Donegal players sucked into the tackle, there had to be space somewhere but instead a panicked shot on the 40 dropping short.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Armagh lucky against Wicklow, Wexford beat Down brutal showcase of football on TV and Leinster is in dissary?? I can only and I do expect at least an attempt of football tomorrow!!!

Meath and Westmeath I think will be a good game as Westmeath fancy their chances of a first ever championship win over their neighbours so will be up for it. Meath have a point to prove and have many returning from injury

The other game I feel we will see no surprises but if Kildare can keep up with the Dubs for 3/4 of the game then who knows.

We should certainly expect to see more open football than today's affair at the very least

• Advertisement

Donegal players reaction got Rodgers the black card IMO.

Didn't look deliberate.

That was shocking though. Should be red.

Third man in should be heavily sanctioned for stuff like that.

Jaysus if I was from Derry I'd be banging my head against the wall right now, what was he at with that last shot.

Good block, looks like Colm Cooper's injury. I'd hope for his sake its not.

Couldn't even drop it into the square:o

Congrats Donegal, another Ulster Final against Monaghan.

Very poor football. Derry's moment of madness when they had a free to go level, and they took it short leading to the concession of 1-1 in the next 40 seconds really cost them.

Shooting from both sides was awful.

Diabolical game. Absolutely no intensity to it.Pity the Down Wexford game wasn't on TV it sounded like a cracker.

Hopefully we get a couple of good games on TV tomorrow.I fancy Westmeath to cause an upset and I think Kildare might push Dublin as well.

Donegal looked average, Derry left that behind them, awful shooting in the second half killed them, especially those two easy ones they missed at the start of the half, although it's probably a positive for Donegal that it's a good boot up the hole for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Poor match but that won't worry Donegal at all.
    The objective was to get to the final.
    We will see a different Donegal attitude in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Brilliant result from Wexford. David Power is rebuilding a really young team with Wexford, he has a long term plan, and he is using a load of very young players to bed them in. 6 players made their first start against Westmeath a couple of weeks back, and another one today. Coupled with the juniors Leinster final win over Meath on thursday, there is more than 20 players involved who are all under 21 next year. I suppose this is the biggest shock too, essentially a Division 4 team beating a division 1 team. Excellent result, and really shows what a bit of good management can do to revitalise a team and bring things back on track.

Advertisement