Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2015 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

McFadden MOTM?

That was definitely Jim's pick! He kicked one good point and was terrible other then that. Some awful wides and kick passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

McFadden kicked two brilliant points. I thought he was excellent.

Also thought the game in general was most enjoyable so maybe I'm going mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MattB11

Derrys discipline was pathetic in the last 10 minutes, poor game to watch was always gonna be, important thing for Donegal is they got through it and have another provincial final to look forward too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Gallagher should have had motm IMO, although can see the case for McFadden.

keane2097 wrote: »
    McFadden kicked two brilliant points. I thought he was excellent.

Also thought the game in general was most enjoyable so maybe I'm going mad.
    You're right he kicked two very nice scores.

Thought he was terrible otherwise. Totally unsuited to the role he was in IMO. Wasted a lot of ball and slowed down attacks.

Gallagher, Murphy, MacNiallais, McKaigue, O'Boyle off the the top of my head would have been better choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

bruschi wrote: »
    Brilliant result from Wexford. David Power is rebuilding a really young team with Wexford, he has a long term plan, and he is using a load of very young players to bed them in. 6 players made their first start against Westmeath a couple of weeks back, and another one today. Coupled with the juniors Leinster final win over Meath on thursday, there is more than 20 players involved who are all under 21 next year. I suppose this is the biggest shock too, essentially a Division 4 team beating a division 1 team. Excellent result, and really shows what a bit of good management can do to revitalise a team and bring things back on track.

Calling this a Division 1 versus a Division 4 matchup is a good bit off the mark given that Down played in Division 2 this year and Wexford in Division 3 and I'd imagine that both would be fairly good odds to end up there back in those Divisions next season again.

A gut-punch of a result for Down - you'd imagine that the reports from the Derry Donegal game will add to the misery given how close the Down Derry game was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Rory Hickey shouldn't get another game for a while after that.

Disgraceful.

Really thought that the game highlighted the poverty of Donegal's squad/lack of decent options off the bench. If that had been Dublin/Kerry/Mayo you would have seen subs far earlier of a much higher quality.

For me McBrearty looked to be carrying a knock/injured yet he stayed on the pitch until injury time.

Derry's utter stupidity in the last 10 minutes was mind-boggling - how much time was wasted committing stupid fouls - especially ones where 2 players who had been doing well go off to be replaced by lads in "cold" off the bench. I'm surprised the Donegal lads managed to refrain from laughing.

That's before you mention the stupidity of taking on an extremely low percentage shot at goal with time remaining and what was a tap-over point on offer.

Disgraceful.
    I thought he did well. Let the Donegal lads influence the first black card ( a yellow for me, it didn't look deliberate), and the second one should have been a Red (shocking tackle).

Missed the slide tackle, but Murphy got the point anyway.

Didn't reward a lot of the diving on both sides which was refreshing.

Just my impression from watching TV.

Were you at the game? Was there a lot off the ball?

Disgraceful.

Agree - terrible to see a ref make such a monumental match-result-altering error in terms of the amount of steps Martin O'Reilly took before he scored the "goal" especially given how blatant it was.

Robbed Derry so he did. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Armagh lucky against Wicklow,

Who told you that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Calling this a Division 1 versus a Division 4 matchup is a good bit off the mark given that Down played in Division 2 this year and Wexford in Division 3 and I'd imagine that both would be fairly good odds to end up there back in those Divisions next season again.

A gut-punch of a result for Down - you'd imagine that the reports from the Derry Donegal game will add to the misery given how close the Down Derry game was.

How is it a "good bit off the mark " to say it's essentially a division 4 team beating a division 1 team when Wexford are now in division 4 and down are now in division 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I thought he did well. Let the Donegal lads influence the first black card ( a yellow for me, it didn't look deliberate), and the second one should have been a Red (shocking tackle).

Missed the slide tackle, but Murphy got the point anyway.

Didn't reward a lot of the diving on both sides which was refreshing.

Just my impression from watching TV.

Were you at the game? Was there a lot off the ball?

a trip is only a yellow or black card

a red card must be a strike, dangerous play or verbal abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

bruschi wrote: »
    How is it a "good bit off the mark " to say it's essentially a division 4 team beating a division 1 team when Wexford are now in division 4 and down are now in division 1.

Because simply down haven't played any division one opponents this year and played division two this year
    This year standings as it's the here and now that counts
    And Wexford are only relegated for next year so there's only one division between them this year In the current standings

No way are down a division one team when they haven't played division one opponents in the league this year and the standings show in this year championship there division two team

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    a trip is only a yellow or black card

a red card must be a strike, dangerous play or verbal abuse
    For me it was a deliberate kick rather then a trip. Easy to say after seeing a slow motion replay. With no replays, i'm not surprised the referee gave black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DDC1990 wrote:
    That was definitely Jim's pick! .
    DDC1990 wrote:
    McFadden MOTM?
    I agree he played alright but Murphy was better imo, but McFadden needs the confidence boost!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

Because simply down haven't played any division one opponents this year and played division two this year
    This year standings as it's the here and now that counts
    And Wexford are only relegated for next year so there's only one division between them this year In the current standings

No way are down a division one team when they haven't played division one opponents in the league this year and the standings show in this year championship there division two team

So this years standings are what count... In other words down the 9th best (table toppers of division 2 and who only lost to Derry be a point and should have won) got beaten soundly by the team ranked 24th (bottom of division 3) ??

Bruschi whole heartily agree add in the fact we had no Kehoe lost panther to an early black card was Graham's first game back in months the juniors winning Leinster Thursday (of which I believe three are ready made for senior now) thins are starting to look nicely once more and I honestly believe power could be the best thing to happen us in many years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

gizmo23 wrote:
    So this years standings are what count... In other words down the 9th best (table toppers of division 2 and who only lost to Derry be a point and should have won) got beaten soundly by the team ranked 24th (bottom of division 3) ??

I can see your point all the same. It's not really div one vs four. But the gap is bigger than it appears from their current position when you take into account their league form there is a big gap.

From another point of view if your team was relegated from division one this year, some wouldn't let you call them a div 1 outfit

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

For me it was a deliberate kick rather then a trip. Easy to say after seeing a slow motion replay. With no replays, i'm not surprised the referee gave black.

Yeah, I thought it should have been a red, zero attempt at playing the ball. Hard for the ref to be sure either way when it happens so fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

It was a bit ridiculous.
    Derry had been so disciplined the whole game.
    And they still had time to win it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Been a sombre weekend for the GAA. Read this morning one of the British victims was a 19 yr old lad who played football for his local club, Connollys GFC in Birmingham.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Lads, what are your thoughts on the two black cards for Derry yesterday?
    For me, neither of them were black cards; they didn't look like cynical fouls to me. 1 was just a free imo, and the other should have been a yellow or red card.

For me, the two cards were an example of why people get frustrated with the black card rule. It looks to sometimes be used as some kind of a middle-ground between a yellow and red card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

elefant wrote: »
    Lads, what are your thoughts on the two black cards for Derry yesterday?
    For me, neither of them were black cards; they didn't look like cynical fouls to me. 1 was just a free imo, and the other should have been a yellow or red card.

For me, the two cards were an example of why people get frustrated with the black card rule. It looks to sometimes be used as some kind of a middle-ground between a yellow and red card.

First one is the definition of a black card. The second definite red in my book of you did that in any other sport e.g soccer take a man out without looking at the ball you'd be straight off. I'm a donegal man but I'm surprised at Derrys indiscipline they still had time to win the game. Derry remind me a lot of Donegal under McIvor a good manager and a solid team but it takes more, it takes character.

I think Derry were lucky they didn't get more black cards they were very cynical. In fairness for all the bad press Donegal are not a dirty side. Some of them Derry challenges at the end of the game could of been career ending, no place for that in the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I watched the Derry Donegal game. The ref was fine. His issuance of cards was decent enough. About the only two major incidents were the trip with heavy contact on Ryan McHugh which was hard to see in real time. He gave a black which is reasonable. Reilly took too many steps. There was one clear yellow missed for one of the McGees who deliberately with force pushed over in the chest a Derry forward when everyone had the refs whistle for a free. The push was two seconds later with all players stood up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

greeno wrote: »
    First one is the definition of a black card.

Dya reckon? He didn't drag him down. Looked to me like he swung for the ball but caught the man. Never a cynical drag down in my eyes. The Donegal players went nuts after it for some reason which seemed to sway the ref.

Hope Westmeath pick it up....don't want to watch 2 demolition jobs today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

It was midnight when I pulled into my driveway (in Galway) last night after coming back from Clones, I'd imagine it was later again for those travelling from Gweedore or North County Derry.

Donegal v Derry at 7pm on Saturday in Clones was a bad idea, and I thought the attendance was on the low side for an Ulster semi final.

I understand switching things around for TV, but not when the two counties involved have to travel a distance - it's not right and the GAA should have a relook at how they promote attendances if this is the way its going to be.

elefant wrote: »
    Dya reckon? He didn't drag him down. Looked to me like he swung for the ball but caught the man. Never a cynical drag down in my eyes. The Donegal players went nuts after it for some reason which seemed to sway the ref.

It was for the foot trip which if deliberate is a black card. I didn't think it was deliberate myself but I only saw one angle. It may have been more obvious at the match. I agree that the Donegal players reaction may have influenced the decision.

Good goal for Westmeath and good reaction from Meath.

Game on now. 0-09 to 1-3

Edit: Spoke too soon. Catastropic error leads to a Meath goal. And another 30 seconds later.

Game over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Well I was about to say that this game is poor so far but it has picked up in the last 2 minutes.

Westmeath very naive.

The replay man didnt have to show the 1st goal again as the second goal 30 seconds later was a carbon copy.

Game over 2 crackers for Meath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Just the 8 in it now

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Meath 8 points up at half time 2-12 to 1-7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Meath 2-12 Westmeath 1-7

Enjoyable first half of football. Defences have been nowhere to be seen so far today.

When Tom Cribben was manager of Offaly they were scandalously unfit and looking at the first half here Westmeath are exactly the same they're miles off their men all over the field.The really need to start getting John Heslin on the ball more often and really should put a sweeper behind the half back line to cut out all those simple footpasses Meath are sending into the full forward line.

Meath's full forward line have scored 2-7 from play in the first half. Meath only have 2 points from placed balls the rest are from play

• Advertisement

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Meath's full forward line have scored 2-7 from play in the first half. Meath only have 2 points from placed balls the rest are from play

Jaysus.... Are you the RTE statsman ? :)

Westmeath will have to do something drastic to avoid a thrashing.

STB. wrote: »

I prefer the term parrot :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

STB. wrote: »

Its on like Donkey Kong was Joe Brollys view

Its on like Donkey Kong was Joe Brollys view

Yes but he's a massive Ice Cube fanboy.

Shocker Tommy Carr gets it wrong. Looked deliberate for me and the Black was warranted.

Meath still comfortable.

• Advertisement

Shocker Tommy Carr gets it wrong. Looked deliberate for me and the Black was warranted.

Meath still comfortable.

You could see it quite clearly from the side angle. Deliberately puts the foot out. Carr should have said well eh yeah maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

Surely a better keeper in Meath than Paddy O Rourke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Meath still comfortable.
    Don't know what you were watching. No way was that a black card offence. There was no contact with the feet and it certainly wasn't a pull-down, nothing deliberate about the challenge at all. The Westmeath player's reaction was laughable. If this is what's going to end a player's game we need to call it off altogether and go play basketball.

The black card has done nothing for the game but cause more confusion among players and fans alike.

Westmeath just won't go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Only 4 in it lads

Nib wrote: »
    Don't know what you were watching. No way was that a black card offence. There was no contact with the feet and it certainly wasn't a pull-down. The Westmeath player's reaction was laughable. If this is what's going to end a player's game we need to call it off altogether and go play basketball.

The black card has done nothing for the game but cause more confusion among players and fans alike.

Take another look at the feet. Reilly deliberately flicks the foot out to trip up the Westmeath player. Nothing against Meath or Reilly, but for me it was a good call. Reilly knew he was beaten, so he brought the player down cynically with a trip.

I thought the first Black Card last night wasn't deliberate but that one certainly seemed to be.

3 in it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

Momentum now with Westmeath. Meath should have closed out this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Very exciting final few minutes. WM playing some lovely football.

Meath have 10 minutes to hang on.

2 points now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

John Heslin is a joy to watch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement