Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2015 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Great point to get the draw.
    Bookies will have cleaned up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

Great game but Cork will be really dissapointed, they dominated possession in the second half. But the penalty was a killer. Great point by Fionn at the finish, a high standard football game to be fair. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

The bad penalty call kept Kerry in it.

Great game but lots of rookie errors by both sides. Especially some of the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That referee was worth about 5 points to Kerry today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Didnt expect Kerry to be so bad. Awful at the back and JOD was tripe.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Game of the championship so far, Cork well deserved a win, afraid P Hughes made a wrong call on the penalty and some v strange decisions once more.

Didn't think Cork had that in them and fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Number 12 for Cork was outstanding my man of the match and Alan O'Connor had a great game as well.

Penalty decision was poor a simple tangle between 2 players going for the ball, happens all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

donfers wrote: »
    what a aurprise, another replay, another whistle going straight after the equalizing point goes over - draw is always a great bet in GAA lads....total anti-climax yet again

I do think that there is a big case for a hooter and stop clock system or at least to give the timekeeeping duties to an official other than the referee

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭pajoguy

yop wrote: »
    Game of the championship so far, Cork well deserved a win, afraid P Hughes made a wrong call on the penalty and some v strange decisions once more.

Didn't think Cork had that in them and fair play to them.

Hughes is a poor ref. Always has been. Prone to making poor decisions. Some people saying he was in line for an all ireland. Should not be left near croke park.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Daragh trying to hard on RTE to police the debate, he has been hurt by accusations he is too soft and nice and lets strong characters walk all over him but the strongarm act doesn't suit him

Presenter not happy with criticism of the referee. RTE policy obviously. Sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

blackcard wrote: »
    Score?
    Kerry 2.15 to 3.12 Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

cjmc wrote: »
    I wouldnt put cork in that bracket , mayo ( i think) are only slightly sbove donegal/ monghan and tyrone ( the latter two on a really good day ) not much in it . Dublin and kerry are outbon their own . Cork wont haveva say in it

Well im some bollix . Grest display by cork and very unlucky not to win .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Hibbeler wrote: »
    I do think that there is a big case for a hooter and stop clock system or at least to give the timekeeeping duties to an official other than the referee

If we had a hooter today, it most likely would have sounded as KOH kicked out the ball after the equalising score.

Brolly made his point.
    There were other aspects of the game to be talked about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Yeah, for once Joe was right.

Great game of football all the same.

Now I have to listen to feckin Holy Moses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

That referee was worth about 5 points to Kerry today.

I put a tenner on Cork at half time @9-1
    I kind of expected the ref to deprive me of my winnings.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MattB11

Regardless of how Brolly put his point across it was still spot on, that referee didn't get half enough criticism after as he got a lot more than the penalty decision wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

The game matched the league game in so many ways. Sheehan taken off n a free missed. Cork dominating the middle third n running hard at the Kerry defence. If Cork go even more direct and earlier the next day can win comfortably. Kept Kerry in it with too much lateral play in middle third.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Despite what people are saying it was a definite penalty for Kerry today. O'Donoghue got to the ball first and was taken down. Wasn't deliberate so not a black card or a yellow card but unquestionably a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

pajoguy wrote: »
    Replay in limerick????

Back to Killarney according to Radio 1.Superb contest,I've a feeling Cork may have missed the boat.Shocking decision for the penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭useless

Newstalk saying replay will be in Killarney. How is that fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭pajoguy

useless wrote: »

Cork will get two matches when the pairc is complete probably. Two co boards want to keep the finances to themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I'd say because of no suitable venue in Cork. But, then, what is wrong with the neutral venues?

Fermanagh beat Antrim today so teams for 3rd A side draw will be
    Roscommon
    Kildare
    Fermanagh
    Longford.

Akin to Waterford being more than happy to travel to Semple id imagine that Cork are similarly more than happy to head to Killarney. Id imagine it is closer than Thurles for alot of the Cork football faithful down in West and Northwest Cork. They probably have an pre-arrangement in place in the event of a draw today anyway as the PUC plans were in the pipeline

Here is an odd scenario.

What if Westmeath beat Dublin on Sunday, I know it the longest of longshots but sometimes these things happen.

What then happens in the Munster final replay the following Saturday.

Do Kerry or Cork try to lose in order to play a weaker team (Kildare, Roscommon, Longford, Fermanagh) in the 4th round and then Westmeath in the QF ?

Because if you win you likely play Dublin in the QF (after they have beaten the other weak team in the 4th round)

It would be an odd situation ifit were to occur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Here is an odd scenario.

What if Westmeath beat Dublin on Sunday, I know it the longest of longshots but sometimes these things happen.

Do Kerry or Cork try to lose in order to play a weaker team (Kildare, Roscommon, Longford, Fermanagh) in the 4th round and then Westmeath in the QF ?

Because if you win you likely play Dublin in the QF (after they have beaten the other weak team in the 4th round)

Hopefully dublin win Leinster then.

It would be a compate farce knowing both teams would probably want to lose the Munster final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Here is an odd scenario.

Interesting point. I remember at the last Olympics, some badminton players were kicked out after they both tried to lose the game to get a more favorable draw in the next round.

Personally, I'd rather meet the Dubs at the QF stage. They won't have faced any real tests at that stage, and Cork/Kerry will have had two good battles (assuming the second game isn't a walkover for either side).

On a side note, it was disappointing to see O'Donoghue throw his arms in the air and look pleadingly at the ref for that penalty. He's watching too much soccer. He did something similar towards the end of last years All-Ireland final against Donegal as well, if I recall.

• Advertisement

3 A football draw

Fermanagh v Roscommon
    Longford v Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

What a load of bollox about O'Donoghue. He was pulled and appealed for the penalty. He didn't know that Collins pulled him after a genuine attempt to challenge for the ball. Watch any game and you will see 20 incidents like this.

Seriously people appealing for frees and penalties has been in Gaa for decades, the idea that O'Donoghue should be picked out for that and vilified is ridiculous.

EDIT: It turns out Joe Brolly's comments came at half time so there may have been an earlier incident that I haven't seen yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Hopefully dublin win Leinster then.

It would be a compate farce knowing both teams would probably want to lose the Munster final.
    I wouldn't lie awake at night worrying about Dublin loosing as there's not a chance I mean a chance they will loose to westmeath
    Great see westmeath doing well but this is a different different team and Dublin would if they went ten points down still beat them

Yes the talk will be that it's sports etc and yes shock happen but not in this game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

@DDC1990 Brolly was referring to JOD feigning injury (not for the first time) clasping his hands to his face when there was little to no evidence of any contact to that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

The usual bullsh1t starts again as people go over the top reacting to the penalty decision.

In real time it looked a penalty and half the stadium called for it at the time. The referee took time on his decision, consulted with his umpires so he did pretty much all he could. Even at that it wasn't crystal clear either way.

Of course ODonoghue appealed, his arm was pulled and he felt it was a pen, only a fool wouldn't appeal.

Overall the ref did well, players could take some responsibility too by the way. Hands being held in the tackle and the dying swan routine (once by cadogan and another by odonoghue) don't make the refs job any easier.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    @DDC1990 Brolly was referring to JOD feigning injury (not for the first time) clasping his hands to his face when there was little to no evidence of any contact to that area.
    Ah Brolly looking for reasons to be upset again as usual. Hands to the face doesn't mean that you are indicating that there was contact to the face! Hands on the head and face is a natural reaction to an injury anywhere!

For example, the Kerry minor centre forward, was running for a ball by the sideline, turned (with no one around him) and went down, and immediately put his hands to his face. It was blatantly obvious that it was a knee (most likely cruciate) injury but not once did he put his hands to his knee. His hands went up to his head and then he folded his arms across his eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Brolly really is a drama queen

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Brolly really is a drama queen

Courts controversy, that's grand when it's the likes of Dunphy criticising some millionaire soccer players abroad who will never hear what he says, nor care. Amateur players deserve a little bit better in terms of comment on the game.

Brolly just plays to the gallery, not good enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Amateur status shouldn't be used a shield against criticism. If players are going to fall over easy looking for penalties or to get an opponent sent off, they should expect to be called out for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Ah Brolly looking for reasons to be upset again as usual. Hands to the face doesn't mean that you are indicating that there was contact to the face! Hands on the head and face is a natural reaction to an injury anywhere!

For example, the Kerry minor centre forward, was running for a ball by the sideline, turned (with no one around him) and went down, and immediately put his hands to his face. It was blatantly obvious that it was a knee (most likely cruciate) injury but not once did he put his hands to his knee. His hands went up to his head and then he folded his arms across his eyes.

Watch it on the Rte player.
    It was Ronaldo-esque and really quite disgraceful to see.

He's doing it more and more often and Brolly was 100% correct to call him on it.

Amateur status shouldn't be used a shield against criticism. If players are going to fall over easy looking for penalties or to get an opponent sent off, they should expect to be called out for it.

Who fell over looking for a penalty?

Agree it should not be a shield, but I never said it should. I said they deserve actual analysis though, not the usual tripe he trots out. Some tactical analysis using footage from the game would be nice, not just going off on one when the mood takes him.

https://youtu.be/G7EYe42Lln4

You could predict his rants at this stage anyway. Cork are sh1t, Kerry can't win a battle, Jim McGuinness is a genius, Ulster boys do it better, the dubs are unstoppable until somebody stops them, then they're naive and the golden rule, say the opposite to whatever anybody else is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MattB11

Being amateur is irrelevant, they are playing the national sport at the highest level, they will be analysed and criticised whether they like it or not as is the case in any sport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Interesting point. I remember at the last Olympics, some badminton players were kicked out after they both tried to lose the game to get a more favorable draw in the next round.

Personally, I'd rather meet the Dubs at the QF stage. They won't have faced any real tests at that stage, and Cork/Kerry will have had two good battles (assuming the second game isn't a walkover for either side).

On a side note, it was disappointing to see O'Donoghue throw his arms in the air and look pleadingly at the ref for that penalty. He's watching too much soccer. He did something similar towards the end of last years All-Ireland final against Donegal as well, if I recall.
    I think you're still better off staying on the opposite side of the draw and let somebody else beat Dublin if they are vulnerable. If not take your chances against them in the final, assuming you both get there.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Watch it on the Rte player.
    It was Ronaldo-esque and really quite disgraceful to see.

He's doing it more and more often and Brolly was 100% correct to call him on it.

James was down for 2 or more minutes after that incident. He appeared to be holding his shoulder. Brolly was commenting from a studio in Dublin where he clearly didn't have the whole story.

A player holding their face is not always looking for a free or feigning injury.

This idea that it's happening more and more is also bollox. Joe cited the All Ireland final as one example. So 2 examples in 3 years, from a guy who has a genuine shoulder issue, and one of the examples James was holding his shoulder after the camera pans away.

We should be lauding our top players not looking for excuses to shame them. I have no issue if James dived and rolled around without contact, but the fact was that he took contact and fell heavily. He clearly had an issue, but because he holds his face first and not his shoulder he is Ronaldo-Esque . Utter bollox.

The usual bullsh1t starts again as people go over the top reacting to the penalty decision.

In real time it looked a penalty and half the stadium called for it at the time. The referee took time on his decision, consulted with his umpires so he did pretty much all he could. Even at that it wasn't crystal clear either way.

Of course ODonoghue appealed, his arm was pulled and he felt it was a pen, only a fool wouldn't appeal.

Overall the ref did well, players could take some responsibility too by the way. Hands being held in the tackle and the dying swan routine (once by cadogan and another by odonoghue) don't make the refs job any easier.
    Agreed. Ref had a good game, and I thought it might be a penalty in real time too. Dont think you can blame JOD for appealing. It was a bad decision but Brollys reaction as usual was way over the top-but sure refs are an easy target for the bully/pundit.

Obviously Maloneys been told to keep Brolly on a tight leash after Martygate. Wish theyd do the same on the soccer and stop kissing Dunphys ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭willabur

from my POV which was in the terrace on the 45 or so it looked like a clear penalty. there was a grab of o'donoghues arm which seemed to prevent him from playing the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Looked like he awarded the penalty and then consulted with the umpires, probably over whether a card should be given.
    FWIW, to me it looked like a free out in real time (albeit watching on TV).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

On the "we woz robbed" front, just had a look on the RTE player and Collins took what must have been 9 steps at least when setting up the first Cork goal, so the soft penalty and the penalty Geaney should have gotten are probably evened out ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I found some of the arguments on TSG put forward for it not being a penalty as strange!

Stuff like- "the ball was in Collin's area", "He had his eyes on it", "He had a right to go for it"- all these things can be 100% true and you can still commit a foul. The game is played at such pace that any interference with a player going full pelt will probably upend them and I do feel it was a penalty by the exact letter of the law.

He must be getting tips from Aidan O Mahoney in embarrassing injury feigning
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHuU3EdJ1NQ

• Advertisement
Advertisement