Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2015 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

I found some of the arguments on TSG put forward for it not being a penalty as strange!

Stuff like- "the ball was in Collin's area", "He had his eyes on it", "He had a right to go for it"- all these things can be 100% true and you can still commit a foul. The game is played at such pace that any interference with a player going full pelt will probably upend them and I do feel it was a penalty by the exact letter of the law.
    How do you make that out?-looked to me like both went for the ball, both got some contact on the ball, both went down and the ball broke in no mans land- that would be a play on in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

keane2097 wrote: »
    On the "we woz robbed" front, just had a look on the RTE player and Collins took what must have been 9 steps at least when setting up the first Cork goal, so the soft penalty and the penalty Geaney should have gotten are probably evened out ok.

Doesnt suit the narrative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

harpsman wrote: »
    How do you make that out?-looked to me like both went for the ball, both got some contact on the ball, both went down and the ball broke in no mans land- that would be a play on in my book.

From my vantage point 220 miles away :rolleyes: that's would be my interpretation too

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MattB11

Clearly was the way both players went down that made the refs mind up and on real time u can see how the ref gave it but noway was a foul committed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Ask yourselves if the referee had waved play on would we be here right now saying Kerry were robbed?

I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

DDC1990 wrote: »
    James was down for 2 or more minutes after that incident. He appeared to be holding his shoulder. Brolly was commenting from a studio in Dublin where he clearly didn't have the whole story.

A player holding their face is not always looking for a free or feigning injury.

This idea that it's happening more and more is also bollox. Joe cited the All Ireland final as one example. So 2 examples in 3 years, from a guy who has a genuine shoulder issue, and one of the examples James was holding his shoulder after the camera pans away.

We should be lauding our top players not looking for excuses to shame them. I have no issue if James dived and rolled around without contact, but the fact was that he took contact and fell heavily. He clearly had an issue, but because he holds his face first and not his shoulder he is Ronaldo-Esque . Utter bollox.

So he hurt his shoulder because he fell or dived heavily. Doesn't excuse the Ronaldo-esque fall before hand lol

I've hurt my foot, knee, shoulder, ankle playing football and I tell you what, I've never ****ing fell to the floor holding my face. Poor fella, I hope he's OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Slattsy wrote: »
    So he hurt his shoulder because he fell or dived heavily. Doesn't excuse the Ronaldo-esque fall before hand lol

I've hurt my foot, knee, shoulder, ankle playing football and I tell you what, I've never ****ing fell to the floor holding my face. Poor fella, I hope he's OK.

You've never won an All Ireland either but that doesn't mean that no one has!

Cork closed him down well, Kerrigan fouled him and he fell hard. There was no Ronaldo dive.

James will be fine, he'll give Sam a cuddle tonight and he'll be right as rain.

Edit: Having watched the "dive" again, He was fouled by Kerrigan. Hand straight in the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What stage of the game was James' theatrical dive? I'd like to have a look at it later on.

What stage of the game was James' theatrical dive? I'd like to have a look at it later on.

First few minutes. He was in the corner and crowded out. Lost the ball and fell over holding his face. Stayed down for quite a while as play went on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

The part where he has his arms out appealing for a peno before he even hits the ground?

• Advertisement

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    The part where he has his arms out appealing for a peno before he evens hits the ground?

I don't think that's the incident being discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Related to all this nonsense, if cork buy into this 'we were robbed' stuff, all the better for Kerry. I doubt they will though.

Cork had a free and a 45 after the 70 mins had passed and didn't kick it to a teammate to run the clock down, instead criminally dropped the 45 short of the goal, allowing Kerry to counter-attack.

Nobody to blame but themselves.

First few minutes. He was in the corner and crowded out. Lost the ball and fell over holding his face. Stayed down for quite a while as play went on.

Fell on the shoulder he had an operation on, maybe he was genuinely hurt?

Actually looking at it again Kerrigan clearly pushes him in the back, so claims that he has dishonored the shirt are even more laughable now.

Actually looking at it again Kerrigan clearly pushes him in the back, so claims that he has dishonored the shirt are even more laughable now.

Which goes back to my original point about brolly and rte analysis in general, if brolly wants to bring that up then RTE need to roll the shagging clip as he is speaking, then at least another pundit call tell him he's talking boll0cks, as opposed to putting it out their that o'donoghue is going around diving and having half the country saying it in the morning.

The players and officials deserve better.

Doesnt explain him falling to the ground holding his face..
    Ronaldo-esque

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Longford v Kildare. Saturday 7.00 pm. Mullingar

Fermanagh v Roscommon. Sunday 3.30 pm. Enniskillen.

Saturday, July 11

GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship Round 2B

Derry v Wexford, Owenbeg, 2pm
    Tipperary v Louth, Semple Stadium, Thurles, 2.45pm
    Tyrone v Meath, Healy Park, Omagh, 3pm

GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship Round 3A

Longford v Kildare, Cusack Park, Mullingar, 7pm

GAA Hurling All-Ireland Senior Championship Round 2

Dublin v Limerick, Semple Stadium, Thurles, 5pm (Live on RTÉ)
    Clare v Cork, Semple Stadium, Thurles, 7pm (Live on Sky Sports)

Sunday, July 12

GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship Round 2B

Armagh v Galway, Athletic Grounds, 3pm

GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship Round 3A

Fermanagh v Roscommon, Brewster Park, 3.30pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Doesnt explain him falling to the ground holding his face..
    Ronaldo-esque

;)
    Guy in pain puts hands to face - shocker

D'Agger wrote: »

Right.

• Advertisement

Right.

What's your opinion on the matter?

You've only repeated it more or less verbatim three times so I want to be 100% sure.

What's your opinion on the matter?

You've only repeated it more or less verbatim three times so I want to be 100% sure.

He was clearly very, and quite visibly in agony at the slight contact on him that his first reaction was to clutch his faceaand drop to the ground.

To be honest I'm surprised he was able to carry on and continue the game without coming into contact with another Cork player. He's quite the
    trooper.

He was clearly very, and quite visibly in agony at the slight contact on him that his first reaction was to clutch his faceaand drop to the ground.

To be honest I'm surprised he was able to carry on and continue the game without coming into contact with another Cork player. He's quite the
    trooper.

Good stuff.

I was just reading back over the thread and saw you described him as 'tripe' at one stage. Was that his overall performance you meant?

Seemed a bit harsh, thought he had a fairly good game live. Got two good points and used most of the fairly limited supply into him well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

I have to say in my experience the immediate reaction is to go towards the area that was hurt-the only time I ever see people immediately clutching their face when hurting another body part is during football matches after some kind of contact from an opponent.

Certainly every time I stub my toe on the bed I grap the toe rather than my face:)

Didnt see the incident so will have to watch later before passing judgement.

PS: A big well done to Cork on coming back when looking beaten, twice. The manner of both goals would have been demoralising but they showed great courage playing away from home against a strong wind. Maybe should have done something different with the 45 but couldnt do much about the equaliser in fairness.

Anyway, again well done Cork-its not often you get to say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Damn youse all :D - I felt compelled to frame advance the incident on me Sky box .. it happens at 1.23 into the game .. imo he's clasping his face before he hits the ground

harpsman wrote: »
    I have to say in my experience the immediate reaction is to go towards the area that was hurt-the only time I ever see people immediately clutching their face when hurting another body part is during football matches after some kind of contact from an opponent.

Certainly every time I stub my toe on the bed I grap the toe rather than my face:)

Didnt see the incident so will have to watch later before passing judgement.

I've had my hands over my face after a hamstring injury, couldn't explain to you why that was but I was in pain at the time - pain that subsided quickly enough it's worth noting. Ultimately, James was clearly fouled, where he put his hands afterwards is a non point really but it lines up with the 'Ronaldo-esque diver agenda' that's been trotted around by a few

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I've had my hands over my face after a hamstring injury, couldn't explain to you why that was but I was in pain at the time - pain that subsided quickly enough it's worth noting. Ultimately, James was clearly fouled, where he put his hands afterwards is a non point really but it lines up with the 'Ronaldo-esque diver agenda' that's been trotted around by a few

I badly tore my hamstring years ago, never had pain like it. Damn sure I didn't hold my face as I was rolling on the ground. As I recall I alternated between holding my leg and simply digging my fingers into the ground and squeezing.

I badly tore my hamstring years ago, never had pain like it. Damn sure I didn't hold my face as I was rolling on the ground. As I recall I alternated between holding my leg and simply digging my fingers into the ground and squeezing.
    Grade 3 tear? Had one of them and it's definitely the worst pain I've felt from playing and did a couple of rolls myself also :) Ultimately, people react differently, I don't think it's anything that can really be analysed too much, realistically it's not something you can gauge or draw opinions of note on imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Grade 3 tear? Had one of them and it's definitely the worst pain I've felt from playing and did a couple of rolls myself also :)

Yeah, and in true GAA fashion I got a helping shoulder over to the sideline before promptly being forgotten about and left to make my own way home. :pac:

Yeah, and in true GAA fashion I got a helping shoulder over to the sideline before promptly being forgotten about and left to make my own way home. :pac:
    Mine was at a junior game, was helped to the bench - no ice, was asked 'Dya want a bitta water for that D'Agger'.....you can imagine the response, almost had to be dug out of the front passenger seat of the car after travelling back for college :pac:

I cut my knee once

• Advertisement

Watched this back just now. Baffled at the reaction to it. Kerrigan clearly puts in an attempted tackle that slaps O'Donoghue straight in the puss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Odonaghue has got his above average share of dubious penalties. I am on record saying that . It's not pretty but it wins matches at vital times .

God help us.

Odonaghue has got his above average share of dubious penalties. I am on record saying that . It's not pretty but it wins matches at vital times .

You care to back that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

You care to back that up?

Woah, woah, he's on the record here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Kerry v Cork replay will be at 7pm on the 18th.

Killarney does not have floodlights.

If it goes to ET it will be pretty dark if it's a wet night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

Kerry v Cork replay will be at 7pm on the 18th.

Killarney does not have floodlights.

If it goes to ET it will be pretty dark if it's a wet night.

Is it on sky or rte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

naughto wrote: »
    Is it on sky or rte

Neither right now.

RTE have the rights to show it as they had the original game. But they cannot go up against a game that is already scheduled on SKY

Sky would have to move their game to 5 or earlier in order for RTE to show it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Neither right now.

RTE have the rights to show it as they had the original game. But they cannot go up against a game that is already scheduled on SKY

Sky would have to move their game to 5 or earlier in order for RTE to show it.

thats a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

To be fair I can't see the Cork Kerry replay not bring televised one way or another.

Though I do think that Sky should perhaps have the rights to show the provincial finals and the knock out all Ireland series in the UK even if they don't have the rights in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

salmocab wrote: »
    thats a mess

Not really though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hibbeler wrote:
    To be fair I can't see the Cork Kerry replay not bring televised one way or another.

They'd be stupid not to. It was a great game, still talking about it. I got Cork completely wrong. I still think TOS deliberately bigged up cork to get Kerry a game before the knockout stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

harpsman wrote:
    Agreed. Ref had a good game, and I thought it might be a penalty in real time too. Dont think you can blame JOD for appealing. It was a bad decision but Brollys reaction as usual was way over the top-but sure refs are an easy target for the bully/pundit.

I agree with that. Can't blame JOD for the penalty, not a penalty imo but not a dive. It's in a different category to the incident where he held his face, as in two different things not necessarily if he was pretending to have been hit in the face or not but I don't think the penalty is under the same cloud as the face holding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Not really though.

It is.

Both Sky and RTE should be co-operating in order to ensure that these sorts of games are televised.The whole purpose of television coverage is to act as an advertisment for the GAA and it's pretty bad that one of the biggest games of the year that is sure to get a good audience because of the quality of the last game won't be on telvision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Stoner wrote: »
    They'd be stupid not to. It was a great game, still talking about it. I got Cork completely wrong. I still think TOS deliberately bigged up cork to get Kerry a game before the knockout stage.

I was surprised by how rattled Kerry were by TOS comments more so than Cork. Perhaps an indication that they weren't at the level they wanted to be for that game, which was probably bore out by the game itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I don't see how people can expect the game to be televised as long as it's fixed for Killarney at 7pm - neither the venue of the throw in time will change. Not a hope will Sky and RTE 'come to an agreement' where Sky broadcasts its game earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I don't see how people can expect the game to be televised as long as it's fixed for Killarney at 7pm - neither the venue of the throw in time will change. Not a hope will Sky and RTE 'come to an agreement' where Sky broadcasts its game earlier.

I stand corrected! RTE confirmed that they are showing the game.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great to see that game on. Was the game of the year so far, though can Cork get them up to that level again. Trolley said in his piece the other day that Cork have a habit of one big game and then disappearing, this will be tested now on Saturday week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It never seems to amaze me that, every single time a replay is on the cards, this bull$hit happens....where will it be....what time...will it be on the telly....where/when do the Guards want it played...who has floodlights....what else is on at the same time....what other commitments do the various broadcasters have that could hinder the game being on the telly.....what's the story with tickets....on and on and on....confusions and uncertainty all around.

Does it not ever occur to the GAA powers that be, the provincial councils & the broadcasters, that replays are fairly common enough affairs? So why not put a Plan B in place, that every one can go to as soon as the final whistle is blown in the drawn game? God forbid that within 24 hrs, everyone pretty much knows exactly what will happen for the replay. But no, every time a replay is on, we have all this drama yet again, as if its the first ever shaggin' replay in the entire history of the GAA !

I can under stand that a Plan B is not possible or practical for every single game. But from the provincial finals onwards and, for all the big games involving the top few teams that the whole country wants to see, a little bit of forward planning wouldn't go amiss.

Sorry...rant over ! :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It never seems to amaze me that, every single time a replay is on the cards, this bull$hit happens....where will it be....what time...will it be on the telly....where/when do the Guards want it played...who has floodlights....what else is on at the same time....what other commitments do the various broadcasters have that could hinder the game being on the telly.....what's the story with tickets....on and on and on....confusions and uncertainty all around.

Does it not ever occur to the GAA powers that be, the provincial councils & the broadcasters, that replays are fairly common enough affairs. So why not put a Plan B in place, that every one can go to as soon as the final whistle is blown in the drawn game? God forbid that within 24 hrs, everyone pretty much knows exactly what will happen for the replay. But no, every time a replay is on, we have all this drama yet again, as if its the first ever shaggin' replay in the entire history of the GAA !

I can under stand that a Plan B is not possible or practical for every single game. But from the provincial finals onwards and, for all the big games involving the top few teams that the whole country wants to see, a little bit of forward planning wouldn't go amiss.

Sorry...rant over ! :o

They can't even achieve plan A in some cases never mind blowing their minds with a plan B!!! :D

Look at the mess with the Connacht Final, obviously they never gave it consideration that Sligo might actually beat Roscommon and the farce thats ensued since! :D

Advertisement