Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Sell motorcycle no log book

• 27-04-2015 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20

Hi guys, I bought a foreign reg suzuki drz400 last summer with the intention of using it for on and off road riding. Paid the vrt and all that and then decided to declare it off the road and just use it for that. Now I need to sell the bike for the money but have no logbook for it because I never taxed it for the first time and can't tax it without insurance. So what can I do about this?
    Thanks
    John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

JCARROLL wrote: »
    Hi guys, I bought a foreign reg suzuki drz400 last summer with the intention of using it for on and off road riding. Paid the vrt and all that and then decided to declare it off the road and just use it for that. Now I need to sell the bike for the money but have no logbook for it because I never taxed it for the first time and can't tax it without insurance. So what can I do about this?
    Thanks
    John
    Logbook is separate from tax requirements.
    You must have some documentation from Revenue when you cleared it, use this to apply for a replacement logbook from Shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,330 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

From a car point of view you had to first tax the car in order for them to issue the logbook, probably the same with a motorcycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 JCARROLL

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Logbook is separate from tax requirements.
    You must have some documentation from Revenue when you cleared it, use this to apply for a replacement logbook from Shannon.

I have a vehicle import receipt from the vrt inspection. So if I get the replacement logbook form filled out and say I lost it and get it signed by a garda, Shannon will send a 'replacement' even though there never was an original log book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I have a vehicle import receipt from the vrt inspection. So if I get the replacement logbook form filled out and say I lost it and get it signed by a garda, Shannon will send a 'replacement' even though there never was an original log book?

There's always a chance... worth chancing it...

Only other option is to tax it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You can't get a replacement for a logbook that never existed, either you or the purchaser must tax it in order for one to be issued, for this you use the last 6 digits of the VIN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭9935452

I wouldnt do that. False declaration to the guards , fraud comes to mind.

You have the right paperwork for it ,you should have a number/numberplate for it . Sell as is.
    Standard change of ownership form. Seller taxes it and gets the logbook.

That said we have a digger at home 1988 , never been taxed and we have a new style logbook for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

9935452 wrote: »
    I wouldnt do that. False declaration to the guards , fraud comes to mind.

You have the right paperwork for it ,you should have a number/numberplate for it . Sell as is.
    Standard change of ownership form. Seller taxes it and gets the logbook.

That said we have a digger at home 1988 , never been taxed and we have a new style logbook for it.

The change of ownership "Form" is the logbook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭9935452

goodlad wrote: »
    The change of ownership "Form" is the logbook.

Not necessarily. RF200 is the transfer of ownership form for vehicles registered before 1993, but in the case of vehicles which dont have a logbook issued you can use this and it will be accepted.

I bought a quad that was never taxed and used this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

If you paid vrt on it the the chassis number is in the system, ring shannon and ask them to send out the form for replacment documents, a Garda stamp wont do anymore, you have to get a peace commissioner to sign the form and you might have to get a dealer to verify the chassis number and also stamp and sign the form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Just tax it and add it to the asking price. A years tax will help you sell it anyway.

I would just put any old insurance details in. You are not going to be riding it anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement