Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science/Software Engineering courses?

Options
  • 27-04-2015 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hello, I'd just like to know about the state of different software engineering courses around the country from current and past students.

Which to avoid, which to aim for etc.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OL.LC.Grinds

Hi
    I am a second year computer science student in UCD. What I have learnt is that UCD is mainly research drive, so we don't have any work placement as part of course, so you are not set up ideally after 4 years to get a job. However there is lots of money for research in UCD so if you have it in the back of your mind that you would like to a masters/phd after your undergraduate its a great place. Also if you have any start up ideas UCD is a reasonably good place for it. My friend is in the computer applications course in DCU, its far more industry based i.e. you will do placement in companies (great way of making connections for future jobs) they also do modules that are industry based, so they are very sought after skills. Finally I know a lot of people who did computer course in Sligo IT, this a great course but it is quite focused on Microsoft products, C++, .Net and so on but these are very sought after skills as Microsoft is a massive player in a lot of companies. Hope this helped any questions just post!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I studied Computer Science at DIT. It was a great course made up mostly of hands on development. I've heard a lot of other CS courses beer more towards theory. I would definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭aquse

colmulhall wrote: »
    I studied Computer Science at DIT. It was a great course made up mostly of hands on development. I've heard a lot of other CS courses beer more towards theory. I would definitely recommend it.

I've laid my eyes on the DIT course and been to their open day.

Hopefully I can get enough points to get in, it's going to be really tight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

aquse wrote: »
    I've laid my eyes on the DIT course and been to their open day.

Hopefully I can get enough points to get in, it's going to be really tight though.

Yeah the points have shot up in recent years. When I started the course back in 2010 the points were something like 250. Now they're gone above 400. :eek:

Advertisement