Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

910xt trouble

Options
  • 27-04-2015 6:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Has anybody had issues with their Garmin 910xt not turning on/off?
    End of last week mine wouldn't turn off. Let the battery go dead now it won't turn on. It's still shows charging % when being charged.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Hi,
    Has anybody had issues with their Garmin 910xt not turning on/off?
    End of last week mine wouldn't turn off. Let the battery go dead now it won't turn on. It's still shows charging % when being charged.

Cheers

The same thing happened mine. The power button was getting a bit flakey for the last few months, it finally gave in. I logged a call with Garmin, my unit was out of warranty, so it would cost about £100 to send it to them and get it fixed. Sometimes when you plug it into charge it will come on, you just have to leave it on and keep charging it.

I'd had the 910 for about 2.5 years and it got lots of use, so it owed me nothing. I decided to treat myself to the 920 :) I'm now working hard to reduce my vertical oscillation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

StaggerLee wrote: »
    The same thing happened mine. The power button was getting a bit flakey for the last few months, it finally gave in. I logged a call with Garmin, my unit was out of warranty, so it would cost about £100 to send it to them and get it fixed. Sometimes when you plug it into charge it will come on, you just have to leave it on and keep charging it.

I'd had the 910 for about 2.5 years and it got lots of use, so it owed me nothing. I decided to treat myself to the 920 :) I'm now working hard to reduce my vertical oscillation :pac:

Cheers. I got by over last week by ensuring there was power. Logged a ticket with garmin so will wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

This happens me every now and again. It has always turned on/off eventually though.

Nice going at the weekend BTW

pgibbo wrote: »
    This happens me every now and again. It has always turned on/off eventually though.

Nice going at the weekend BTW

Cheers P.

So basically just keep trying until it turns on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Pretty much, and vary where you pressure the power button :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

My Garmin forever says 100% when charging, though I know it could be near flat. Anyone else have this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

pgibbo wrote: »
    Pretty much, and vary where you pressure the power button :eek:

Yep, this is the technique, keep clipping / un-clipping the charger while pushing the power button to jump start it.

StaggerLee wrote:

So it has given up on me. No amount of messing/ resetting will get it to turn on. What were Garmin like to deal with. Long turn around time on sending back?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

My Garmin forever says 100% when charging, though I know it could be near flat. Anyone else have this issue?

Yep, pretty much endless battle with mine.
    It also turns on while charging and vibrates (read travel around the wooden table)
    The other issue I had was when trying to turn it on, the screen just went crazy (like a recovery menu software), turning off and on didn't help. The only solution was to "charge" it even though battery was at 100%.
    It seems my garmin is a female version, moody and temperamental =)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AndyC80

I'm having the exact same issue with my 910xt I have also logged a query, but still waiting a response. As per the mails above, I would kick start the watch by pressing the power button while charging. However, even that stopped working last week and as a result I had no watch for Athlone!!

With a bit of time yesterday, I googled potential solutions and I got it going again. Try pressing and holding down 'mode' and 'enter' at the same time and then press the 'power' button. This was supposed to reset the watch, but all it did was kickstart my watch to life. Note: I probably tried this about 10 times before it worked and did it while performing CPR with the charger.

Now that its working again, I am not going to turn it off or let the battery die for as long as I can. When not in use and if you don't want to leave it constantly charging, I recommend putting the watch in 'pool swim' mode so that the watch wont look for a satellite and suck the juice from the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

Had the exact same issue with mine 2 years ago - ended up paying nearly 100 to have it replaced with a new (refurbished) one as its was 3 months over warranty. Posted something on the Garmin forum at the time and it looks like may people have the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Apologies for dragging up an old thread but didnt want to start a new one.

910xt is plugged in to the laptop....its charging, but the laptop is not displaying it and GE isnt reading it either. other devices are working in the different ports, so its not an issue with the ports.

any suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

sorry but have to ask the obvious questionfirst but the 910xt is powered on?

Usb cable issue?

Possibly that the data pins might be dyamage, but the power pins might be ok....is it possible to borrow a different cable and see if that works?

Keeks wrote: »
    sorry but have to ask the obvious questionfirst but the 910xt is powered on?

Usb cable issue?

Possibly that the data pins might be dyamage, but the power pins might be ok....is it possible to borrow a different cable and see if that works?

The Watch goes straight to charge mode and charges up so no pin issue

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

miller82 wrote: »

power pins(+5V) on USB and data pins are different. the data pins could be damaged and it would still charge just fine

mossym wrote: »
    miller82 wrote: »

power pins(+5V) on USB and data pins are different. the data pins could be damaged and it would still charge just fine

Ah shiiiiit.
    Easy fix do you know ?
    Where would one even get that fixed 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

I thought the 910xt only transfers data through ant+ and the cable was only for charging the device.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ha, totally missed it was a 910xt .spot on

aaaahhhh okay.
    I reckon the ANT is long gone. will have to get a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I had loads of issues a bit like this with an old 910xt. It was normally 1 of 2 things.

First was if the ant+ was turned on for another programme, like trainer road or zwift, I'd have to unplug and plug it back in a few times to get garmin express to find it.

Other was garmin express itself, lost count the number of times there was issues with it and it just wouldn't find the 910. Usually an uninstall and re-install worked, sometimes I just had to wait a few days.

Hopefully one of these will work for you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement