Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations for magnetic cat flap

• 27-04-2015 8:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I've had an unknown cat come in through the cat flap and spray everywhere :eek: so i need to get a flap that will only work for my cat. Puss hates wearing a collar but he's going to have to. Any suggestions/ revommendations for these types of cat flaps would be great.

And if anyone knows how to get of the smell from oil based painted skirtings (short of replacing the skirtings!), that would be even better. I have a UV torch and used vinegar & water and that got it off the wall, but not the skirtings.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Ive a cat flap that works on reading the microchip so Puss doesnt have to wear a collar.

Its this brand:
    https://www.sureflap.com/en-US

We actually got the Pet Door as Puss is a big girl and we werent sure if she would fit the regular one - as it turns out she would have.

Its very easy to set up, and once it knows the microchip thats it. It will only allow the microchipped animal through (up to 40 different chips I think!), but it will let any animal out. You can also set to to be IN only or only open at certain times.

Initially Puss was a bit concerned by the noise of the latch but she was over that very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

+1 for microchip flap instead of magnetic cat flap. We had a magnetic one and a determined cat can force their way in. We replaced it with a microchip one a few years ago and it's much stronger. We will be upgrading to a pet flap as Felix is a big lad and squeezes himself through. Warm water and biological washing powder is really good for cleaning up the scent. It needs to be biological to kill the enzyme in the urine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

Microchip flap is more expensive but worth it. we had similar problems here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 blackcat7

This looks great. I've been leaving the bathroom window open for Walter all summer & he loves the freedom of coming and going whenever he wants. I know I need to get a flap soon though as it will be too cold in the winter to leave the window open. I have glass doors that open into my open plan kitchen, living room & dining area though, I am a bit worried that the flap might be a bit draughty? Has anyone who has one had any issues with this? I'd prefer to fit it in door as worried when he gets older he might not be as nimble jumping up to the window but really don't want to end up with a colder living room. Any advice appreciated.

Yes, it is a bit draughty. I find in windy weather it tends to get sucked outwards and allow a good bit of draughtiness.

We have it in the panel to the side of the front door. Then we have an ordinary cat flap in the door between the hall and sitting room. I imagine if we didn't have that door between the sitting room and front door we'd really notice.

If I were going to fit one into glass doors as you describe I'd build a little structure outside (like a tunnel or a walkway for the cat to walk through to the cat flap) and that should stop most of the exposure. Or I'd put a cat house/kennel in front of it outside so it looked like the cat were going into their kennel, but really she would be going through her secret cat flap at the back of it.

Maybe google would throw up some pics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 blackcat7

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Yes, it is a bit draughty. I find in windy weather it tends to get sucked outwards and allow a good bit of draughtiness.

We have it in the panel to the side of the front door. Then we have an ordinary cat flap in the door between the hall and sitting room. I imagine if we didn't have that door between the sitting room and front door we'd really notice.

If I were going to fit one into glass doors as you describe I'd build a little structure outside (like a tunnel or a walkway for the cat to walk through to the cat flap) and that should stop most of the exposure. Or I'd put a cat house/kennel in front of it outside so it looked like the cat were going into their kennel, but really she would be going through her secret cat flap at the back of it.

Maybe google would throw up some pics?

Thanks for the response. It's not really an option for me to build anything outside as it's a set of glass doors that both open outwards.
    Is it still draughty when the cat flap is closed? Would it be an option to close it when I'm at home and just leave it open for him when I'm at work?
    I will probably put it in the bathroom window if there's any risk of draughtiness as he's a young cat & managing the jump up fine at the moment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Or I'd put a cat house/kennel in front of it outside so it looked like the cat were going into their kennel, but really she would be going through her secret cat flap at the back of it.

That. Is. Genius.
    :D

blackcat7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. It's not really an option for me to build anything outside as it's a set of glass doors that both open outwards.
    Is it still draughty when the cat flap is closed? Would it be an option to close it when I'm at home and just leave it open for him when I'm at work?
    I will probably put it in the bathroom window if there's any risk of draughtiness as he's a young cat & managing the jump up fine at the moment.

Yes, it is still draughty when its closed - its not sealed round the edges so you still get a draught. Thats the microchip one I got now, it may be that other types are less draughty.

Another option would be to have a draught blocker on the inside of the doors - I use a thermal curtain in my hallway, its floor to ceiling and wall to wall, so when I pull that over, Puss can still go in and out through the cat flap and find her way round the curtain, but it blocks a lot of the draught.

You dont have to put it in glass either, you could put it in a wall or a door. Putting it through a wall would probably cut down a lot of draughts as itd be a longer "tunnel" through the wall to get inside.

Advertisement