Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Citizenship and taxation on overseas income

Options
  • 27-04-2015 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Anybody have any experience of this?

Once you become an Australian citizen and if you are classified as an ''Australian Resident"' ( vague definition but live more than 183 days in Oz or have some connection to Australia ) you have to file a tax return if you are working overseas i.e ireland or elsewhere and potential;y liable to pay income tax on earnings andf have to lodge an annual tax return.When I become a citizen I am planning to leave Oz for a few years to work overseas eventually coming back to settle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Was just reading about this today as it happens as I'll be leaving in near future for a while and am a citizen. I was looking for info on super and stumbled across some stuff on web.

Pretty sure it comes down to "resident for tax purpose's" calculator.
    If you work any part of a tax year in aus either as a resident or non resident for tax purposes you have to do a tax return for that year. Eg if you leave in December you do tax return from July to December.

Once you are gone you are gone as far as tax office is concerns unless you have some other Aussie source of income like shares or savings or house rent, then you have to do return every year as a non resident.

If you close everything, sell everything and just leave you should be good to go. You'll always be a citizen and when you come back you just start again albeit with prob some hassle around Medicare levy and the like.

You just do your tax in whatever country you are working. If you start sending money to aus To your super fund it starts getting tricky...still trying to figure that out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Which is pretty much the same as Ireland by the way. And most EU countries.

Advertisement