Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to harden gravel path

Options
  • 27-04-2015 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

Is there any product I can add to the pebbles which will bind them?

I'm in the middle of putting down a gravel path and small area. before I finish I'd like to know if I can harden the gravel some how.

I have 2 inches of 804 gravel and then 2 inches of pebbles on top. Its this pebble top layer I'd like to firm up somehow.

I don't want a concrete type finish, just something to prevent the pebbles from spilling all over and that the level stays.

(We have 2 dogs).
    (I posted weeks ago on using quarry dust but its not the solution for me).

Is there any product I can add to the pebbles which will bind them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

No is the answer.

You are probably aware or have seen resin bonded gravel areas, but this finish requires special preparation and may only be used with gravel of a specific size (typically 5mm or smaller). It is an expensive finish and the resin bonding cannot be used for retrofitting to existing gravel areas etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Best way to stop the pebbles spilling over is

a) a verge (edging) that holds the pebbles in, and

b) go out and rake it level once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭n1st

Dogs have already started to dig :mad:

n1st wrote: »
    Dogs have already started to dig :mad:

A small amount of cayenne (just a puff, not enough to hurt them - and bring them over and tell them to smell it so they don't rush in and get a horrid shock) or a wash with water with a bit of Tabasco in it should dissuade them. Once they're used to the idea that this area is off-limits, you shouldn't have to repeat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

A 2 inch cover of gravel is excessive and wiil lead to ruts forming and make it uncomfortable to walk on. A 1 inch cover is more than sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I have to laugh everytime I see people getting gravel put into the small suburban driveway thinking the live in south fork with a meandering drive and ooh doesn't it look lovely in the pictures. que 2 months later..stones on the footpath, the grass verge all the way down the road....never put pebbles into a front driveway in suburbia..it never works imo

Oh, I dunno; it goes "crunch, crunch, crunch" when you walk on it, which puts off burglars who prefer to go "creep, creep, creep". And around here it's mostly put in with a bit of a slant up to the pavement and three rows of granite cobbles between pavement and gravel, so you don't get a lot of leakage.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭n1st

Thanks for the replies.
    I'm gonna reduce the height of the gravel to 1 inch.
    I will have 2 inches of crushed stone gravel underneath, this should give the firm feel.

The gravel mats are expensive, a good idea though.

My requirement is in the back garden, path around the lawn.

I'm gonna chat the gravel supplier and see if he has any ideas.

Advertisement